Compatibility Patch & Missing features of the Ka-50

A lot has been discussed. Exactly what will happen isn't clear, but I doubt they will add a lot of things to the Ka-50..

Is clear if we get the dynamic cockpit shadows?

You have to do things the 'long' way, ie. coordinate input by listening to radio etc. If the two ever worked on the same side RL, this would be a realistic problem. I don't see why you wouldn't want to simulate a realistic problem in DCS ... and I don't see why the choice should be given to avoid it, either.

OK, that's a good point. :thumbup:

Is clear if we get the dynamic cockpit shadows?

I doubt it, it would make a complete rebuild of the cockpit necessary.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Yeah, as sobek said. It would be really cool to have the new EDM format cockpit for the Ka-50 but ... major work :(

However, you will have some advancements ... I know you make missions, so, you get the A-10C's ME which is a lot more powerful :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I know you make missions, so, you get the A-10C's ME which is a lot more powerful :)

Yes I'm waiting for the patch before I go on with my missionpack.

I need the user defined radio items working in MP (also for clients).

I hope that this will work till the compatibility patch is out.

....With two Russian A-10C's in support :D

Head to head A-10C against Kamov: Helo's are going to get slaughtered.

Indeed, but if both sides are given enough primary tasks perhaps the a10s and sharks won't focus on eachother.

Who am I kidding, if I knew there was a human player flying around in an enemy shark it would turn into priority number 1 :D

On a serious note though, if the sharks had a real advantage (like exact target waypoints) and the a10s were left to "figure" it all out, it could lead to quite the interesting mission.

I'll be working on that when the compatabilty patch comes our way!

System specifications: Computer, joystick, DCS world, Beer

@chromium:

Thank you for the clarification. Very interesting.

Please can you tell me the page in the manual so I can try to reproduce? :smartass:

No, cause I forgot where I learnt it :music_whistling:... But I believe you have to look for "add waypoint" at PVI800 section in the manual... I can briefly explain by points:

1. Set PVI800 mode switch to "EDIT" (usually oper);

2. The PVI800 will seems to be off, but it's in data entry mode;

3. Press "Target point" button. If other TP are memorized, you will se the new TP number in the upper-left corner.

4. Enter "0" and then the North coordinates (format dd.mm.n, do not type ".", d=degree, m=minutes, s=seconds, es. "42.15.5");

5. Press enter

6. Enter "0" and then the East coordinates (format ddd.mm.s, es. "045.10.3");

7. You will notice that the "enter" key become yellow lighted. Press it.

8. Move switch from "EDIT" to "OPER", and try to select your new Target point.

PS: Maybe I forgot something, I hope not :)

ChromiumDis.png

Author of DSMC, mod to enable scenario persistency and save updated miz file

Stable version & site: https://dsmcfordcs.wordpress.com/

Openbeta: https://github.com/Chromium18/DSMC

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

It was intended but it never got them ... this is why you see a bunch of switches in the 'pit that are not functional.

I'm hoping the AH-64A gets done eventually...complete with IRIS switchology/symbology that is non-functional!

:D

Edited by AlphaOneSix

Indeed, but if both sides are given enough primary tasks perhaps the a10s and sharks won't focus on each other.....

One scenario could have the Shark operating with mobile Air Defence units at all times, maybe even on a trigger to 'surprise' the none-too-wary Hog pilots. Will certainly make for interesting mission-design :)

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

No, cause I forgot where I learnt it :music_whistling:... But I believe you have to look for "add waypoint" at PVI800 section in the manual... I can briefly explain by points:

3. Press "Target point" button. If other TP are memorized, you will se the new TP number in the upper-left corner.

4. Enter "0" and then the North coordinates (format dd.mm.n, do not type ".", d=degree, m=minutes, s=seconds, es. "42.15.5");

5. Press enter

Thank you for the explaination :thumbup:

... but how to aligne the Shkval to the target point?

Check in the manual - I don't recall the process for it, but it is absolutely possible. I think you do it using the 'turn to target' functionality.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

It will be great to run over debris and just have nothing happen or your tire pop instead of having the Shark instantly explode. They should also at least add diagonal slew commands. On the list of things that probably won't happen: making the Outside Air Temperature and Voltmeter guages functional, better damage modeling (I have never experienced a fuel leak or even noticed a fuel loss).

5. Press enter

This is incorrect. Coordinates entered into the PVI-800 would be in ddd mm.m format, not ddd mm s format. The number after the decimal point would be tenths of a minute, that's the whole reason why there's a decimal point. The division between degrees minutes and seconds should never be noted with a decimal point. After degrees, you put a degrees sign (if you can; otherwise just put a space). After minutes you put a single quote/apostrophe, ' , this tells you where minutes end. After seconds, you put a double quote ". This tells you where seconds end. You only ever use a decimal point on the very last unit given (be it seconds, minutes, or even degrees), and when you do, you interpret it just as you would any other decimal point. For example,

45 10.3'

is 45 degress + 10.3 minutes.

is 45.167 degrees

45 10' 18.45"

is 45 degrees + 10 minutes + 18.45 seconds.

Of course, you would also need to say if it was E/W if this was longitude, or N/S if this was latitude.

Edit:

I forgot to add... yea, you must be incorrect about the format, but your post is probably right in the specifics of entering it into the PVI-800... it's been so long for me, I can't remember. I will definitely be going through a refresher course. Once the Ka-50 is released... I will be doing A LOT of Ka-50 :)

Edited by Speed

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

It will be great to run over debris and just have nothing happen or your tire pop instead of having the Shark instantly explode. They should also at least add diagonal slew commands. On the list of things that probably won't happen: making the Outside Air Temperature and Voltmeter guages functional, better damage modeling (I have never experienced a fuel leak or even noticed a fuel loss).

I agree

Launch-Warning-System:

In the A-10c you have a working missile-launch-warning-system.

The Ka-50 also have this system but till now it was "out of function".

You can find this switch on the left-top side of the front cockpit. (see picture)

Isn't it possible to add this function to the Ka-50 if it is already working for the A-10c?

Even for experts it is still very dangerous in the battlefield because you are not able to notice a missile launch of a non-laser-guided SAM.

This feature would help to stay alive.

The way the missile warning system works in the A-10 has nothing to do with radars or lasers. The A-10 has multiple IR sensors distributed at various points on the air frame. I may be getting the specifics not exactly accurate, but basically, these IR sensors look for the distinctive signature of a burning rocket motor. Just like YOU are able to look at a rocket motor that is burning, and your brain in a fraction of a second recognizes it as a burning rocket motor, so do these sensors contain sophisticated signal processing algorithms that are able to recognize the IR signature/image of a burning rocket motor.

One of the specifics I may be getting wrong is that these IR sensors may only be able to detect the initial launch of the missile, and not its actual burning rocket motor. So it may be that if the missile warning system is masked or misses the initial launch, it will not detect the missile at all. I donno.

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Lua scripts and mods:

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

One of the specifics I may be getting wrong is that these IR sensors may only be able to detect the initial launch of the missile, and not its actual burning rocket motor. So it may be that if the missile warning system is masked or misses the initial launch, it will not detect the missile at all. I donno.

I have an idea but the OPSEC police will get me if I expand on it. I will say this, though...arc welders on the ground are a good way to generate false positives. :)

Speed, the sensors are UV or combined IR/UV. They detect the UV flash and plume. I don't know if the processing units proceeds to do anything smart (Such as attempting to detect whether the missile is in fact coming at you rather than having a large LOS rate) in order to warn you more reliably.

But given what A16 said, I would imagine that is either not the case, or the warning is issued anyway and possibly refined later.

By this token, other things that could trigger your MWS could also be flares :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you for the explaination :thumbup:

... but how to aligne the Shkval to the target point?

easy:

1. cage the skhval (or reset the wpn system);

2. select a target point (that you may have insight);

3. press the "DL to ingress" key on datalink (yellow light will activate);

4. be sure that HMS is not active;

5. uncage the skhval... and it will go automatically to the target point, exactly as it does choosing a previously memorized datalink symbol in ABRIS.

Give a try ;)

ChromiumDis.png

Author of DSMC, mod to enable scenario persistency and save updated miz file

Stable version & site: https://dsmcfordcs.wordpress.com/

Openbeta: https://github.com/Chromium18/DSMC

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

will the inu will be fix?

and the fire extinguish test?

i 'm not against a 10 $ fix :joystick:

“СА-ТЛФ” switch. Radio equipment data link SA-TLF switch. ? is it the modem for abris ?

is the abris more limited than the real one? i mean datalink update ? flight plan by datalink is it possible in real ?:music_whistling:

will the jtac work with ka 50 i mean smoke afac , coordinate l/L so we can enter them in pvi (no more need for tactical view )?

VEAF 735th - www.veaf.org - Formateur Ka50

Escadrille Francophone évoluant sur DCS.

En savoir plus : http://www.veaf.org/fr/735-escadrille-virtuelle-dcs-fancaise

Nous rejoindre : http://www.veaf.org/fr/nous-rejoindre

No, it isn't a heli upgrade patch. The heli isn't getting any unrealistic upgrades. Get it? ;)

How about an optional gameplay checkbox that would allow for buddy lasing capability?

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Speed, the sensors are UV or combined IR/UV. They detect the UV flash and plume. I don't know if the processing units proceeds to do anything smart (Such as attempting to detect whether the missile is in fact coming at you rather than having a large LOS rate) in order to warn you more reliably.

But given what A16 said, I would imagine that is either not the case, or the warning is issued anyway and possibly refined later.

By this token, other things that could trigger your MWS could also be flares :D

Ah, thanks. I did not know that. It's certainly surprising.... uh... how hot do those missile flames burn to produce a UV flash?!

Lua scripts and mods:

It's a rocket. 3000 degrees? ;)

Not sure that the heat itself matters so much as the nature of the oxidation though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah various rocket fuel chemicals give off radiation at different wavelengths in the UV, visible, and IR spectrums. To be sure, there is a lot of IR radiation being emitted, but lots of things generate very "bright" IR signatures (I should probably say high energy instead of bright, but it is easier for my peabrain to understand that way), so a system using IR radiation would be much more susceptible to false positives. Same goes for visible light.

It's a rocket. 3000 degrees? ;)

Not sure that the heat itself matters so much as the nature of the oxidation though.

Heat is all that matters if it's Plank black body emission... and a lot of times, you can assume that it is. I would have thought that ammonium perchlorate or or whatever the hell they use oxidizing whatever solid fuel they use would be just black body radiation. But I bet you can look up a chemical spectrum of it somewhere... I donno. Not a chemist or chemical engineer.

Emission lines up in UV seem a little odd though... but I really am not a chemist, as I said.

It's just that generally, one does not think of something as "cool" as a rocket being hot enough to put out appreciable UV.

Lua scripts and mods:

The new patch also need to add a option to disable the trim on the rudder, this will be useful for people without self-centering pedals and a lot more realistic for this type of input device.

easy:

1. cage the skhval (or reset the wpn system);

2. select a target point (that you may have insight);

3. press the "DL to ingress" key on datalink (yellow light will activate);

4. be sure that HMS is not active;

5. uncage the skhval... and it will go automatically to the target point, exactly as it does choosing a previously memorized datalink symbol in ABRIS.

Give a try ;)

Pretty sure step 3 isn't necessary. At least I can't remember having to fiddle with the datalink system to get it to work. You just need the skhval reset, the target point selected and the HMS deactivated. When all this is set, you uncage, and it'll activate and snap to the coordinates of the target point.