Where is everyone?

ZQuickSilverZ

I have been on a few squad TS's lately and they are empty. Maybe a couple of people in them but nothing like say 3 months ago. Where is everybody?

I do not understand why we have 25 teamspeaks to host a couple of people at a time each. We should have one teamspeak with several password protected rooms and one giant public room. What would be the difference between having a squad TS and having a section in a TS that only YOUR squad has access to? I think it would do a lot more to tighten up the community.

I would like to note that an offer for this very thing has already been made but few people have taken advantage of it.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=76645

Edited by ZQuickSilverZ

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

School and work have been killing me, mostly the working part, freaking stupid old dinosaur jet that makes me want to slap the designers, but they are all dead.

• Like 1

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Well Skyrim and Battlefield 3 did come out in the last 2 months...

loll absolutely right. :megalol:

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Operating System : Windows 7 64 bit | CPU: AMD phenom X4 940 3.1Ghz | Ram: 8GB | Graphics Card: Ati 5770 v2 | Monitor: 22" Vestel | Joystick : X52 pro & Saitek Rudder pedal & Trackir 4 pro with TrackClip Pro

We're in your bases, killing your d00dz.

I have been on a few squad TS's lately and they are empty. Maybe a couple of people in them but nothing like say 3 months ago. Where is everybody?
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Ha ha Tyger. I guess the real question is this. Is DCS going to bounce back? Seeing a bunch of empty teamspeaks is not a good sign. Regardless of new releases or the time of year.

Oh and GGTharos

"All your bases are belong to us"

Would you guys even CONSIDER switching to a public TS with password protected squad rooms?

Edited by ZQuickSilverZ

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ha ha Tyger. I guess the real question is this. Is DCS going to bounce back? Seeing a bunch of empty teamspeaks is not a good sign. Regardless of new releases or the time of year.

Oh and GGTharos

Would you guys even CONSIDER switching to a public TS with password protected squad rooms?

Based on the number of new applicants and general activity over at the 1st, things are in no way slowing down. You must be looking in the wrong places or at the wrong times. As others have said, people have lives, unlike the FPS world people don't tend to play for 8 hours a day every day. Most of us are normal human beings with actual social skills.

As for a shared TS, no thanks.

• Like 2

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

As others have said, people have lives, unlike the FPS world people don't tend to play for 8 hours a day every day.

I didn't grab my joystick for two months to finish some loose work (is hard to be a sim addict when almost our work hours are at front of a pc). As I have only some more hours of work to finish (my main PC is processing for 10 hours), I felt on the temptation the last weekend :) . Result: Saturday night, Sunday morning and afternoon and Monday morning :D, from FC2 at 4C to BS2 Stalthurn 104th Fulda Gap (on the commie side) to the 74th VFS.

On all this TS servers there were some people to interact. On Fridays nights and weekends, usually, there are some people on these servers.

Edited by Xpto

104th Cobra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

.....unlike the FPS world people don't tend to play for 8 hours a day every day. ....

Unless you're Stuka :D

We've gotten I'd say 8 or 10 applications to join the 1st VFW /25th VFS in the last week. On average at least 4 people fly every evening (Euro time) and some times Eastern Time.

Oh and GGTharos

ts.JPG

Just took this 2 mins ago.

why not pop on the 74th? There is ALWAYS a fair few about, so clearly the 74th was not part of your eval.

7 active members, 3 Candidates and another application yesterday, Quality and not quantity is the name of the game for us.

Our server LYNX is open to all the community, they just have to be on TS to use it. A while ago this was a debate of contention, I can tell you know after a year of running it like this, that i'd never go back!

Public channels for TS / vfs's.?

Absolutely not.

I'm a WC of the 74th vfs for a reason. Far from micro management, I like to have the ultimate power with regards to TS, it's layout, who has access, who gets kicked and for what reasons. I like to create channels, move channels and ultimately remain dynamic. Your concept cannot give me all of this with the right security and ultimately why would any WC of a vfs rely upon anyone outside of their vfs?

One golden rule in this vfs hobby of ours is that no one, and i mean no one, is indespensable.

Thanks for your consideration, but your concept is flawed from the outset.

IMHO, you are trying to stir a pot of **** that doesn't exist. ED doesn't need to 'bounce back' from anything, they doing pretty well i can tell you.

Mate, bottom line? It's 'effin Christmas! most of us are over 40 with fluffy families and blonde haired kids that demand attention, too much of our money, and cuddles at this time of year! Bah......humbug! time to do the family thing!

Regards

'T'

PS, on Sunday night at 1930 we had 18 on our Teamspeak. We all flew, we laughed and we all had a jolly good time! Thanks ED. 'boing'!

Edited by 159th_Viper
Language
  • Like 1

Come pay us a visit on YouTube - search for HELI SHED

Main Banner.PNG

Yea, the DCS community needs better integration. But it IS christmas time right now... lots of folks having to go away.

I've noticed the same kind of thing, I will go around and visit website teampseak viewers for other squads sometimes, just trying to see what the multiplayer heartbeat of DCS is like... and it's usually not good. Quite often, the largest MP flight I can find going on among squad mates will be like 3 or 4 guys.

Perhaps it will get better with DCS fighter, and a lot of the old guys will come back, but that's what was said before A-10 was released, and it proved to be a load of bull$%^$. The fact is, folks who have gotten out of flight simming pretty much never return. The 16th is a very old squadron, and pretty much every month we get old members popping back on claiming that they are going to start regularly flying again. But it has NEVER ONCE happened in all the time I have been with the squad. It really hasn't. I can't think of a single time in my 4 years with the 16th that one of the old members who has claimed to be returning to a regular flying basis has actually returned to a regular flying basis. It seems to be a rule, and it seems so universally true that I would assume it applies not only to other virtual squads, but pretty much anyone who used to fly flight sims and is thinking of returning. If you stop flying flight sims for more than a few months, your flight simming almost always comes to a permanent end. Forever. So we must seek out fresh blood in order to refill the ranks of multiplayer. Perhaps DCS fighter will have enough "sex appeal" to bring in more folks from my generation or even younger. It's hard to separate them from their XBOXes and MMOs though.

Oh and GGTharos

Actually, it's "all your base are belong to us". If you had multiple bases, it would be "all your bases are belongs to us".

Edited by Speed

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

I've been busy, and right now I don't have my flight stick. I'm not flying with a keyboard.

The servers have always been empty at certain times and full at others. Try to find when they're active and get on then.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Actually, it's "all your base are belong to us". If you had multiple bases, it would be "all your bases are belongs to us".

:music_whistling:

er...no it isn't.

If you had multiple bases it would be:

"all of your bases, belong to us".

or

"all of your bases, are belonging to us".

or

"all of thy bases, doth belong to thee"

or

Merry Christmas.

Edited by Tyger

Come pay us a visit on YouTube - search for HELI SHED

Main Banner.PNG

Speed, you are dead right. Never seen someone come back full-time to a squad once they have drifted off. They're always welcomed back, but I guess once a player as 'left' a sim it never holds as much interest or appeal as it did the first time around (same as hooking up with girlfriends, eh? :) )

For the "all your base meme", it comes from a mistranslation of Zero Wing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_your_base_are_belong_to_us

You may think it is trivia now but just wait until you are on your last question to "To Wants to be A Millionaire" and they ask where this phrase comes from :)

Could also try changing NATO brevity code from "Pickle" to ... Someone set us up the bomb!

For great justice!

Edited by Moa

Well... from my experience, if I hadn't destroyed my right knee at 2009 and that hadn't obliged me to stay at my bed for months, one year from had cursed BS1 because of being an hell the first trying to ride the Ka-50, probably I wasn't here making noise.

I left Lockon on 2003, after realizing that my sexual life was comparable with the Pope's because of simming (right now I have no complains about that :D) .

104th Cobra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well... from my experience, if I hadn't destroyed my right knee at 2009 and that hadn't obliged me to stay at my bed for months, one year from had cursed BS1 because of being an hell the first trying to ride the Ka-50, probably I wasn't here making noise.

I left Lockon on 2003, after realizing that my sexual life was comparable with the Pope's because of simming (right now I have no complains about that :D) .

Lock on come out in December 2003.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Well Tyger maybe I did not sample 74th. But I did hit 5 DCS TS's and not ONE person was on. War Hawks had a lot of people in TS but we do not run a public server so I did not average WH in. And these are TS's of servers that are pretty active. I am not talking about ONLINE activity. I am talking about TS activity specifically. From my perspective why play a coop flight sim online if your not even going to join TS. If your server requires use of TS that is a good start.

"IMHO, you are trying to stir a pot of **** that doesn't exist." - Tyger

Yeah, actually it does exist. As I stated before someone else has already tried to get this going. So at least one other person thought to consider it. I can understand how you would not be interested in this as you have a very specific agenda and vision. Some squads are a little looser on control and more inviting to beginning pilots that don't exhibit "excellence". Just because that does not fit into your vision Tyger doesn't mean its a pot of ****. Your more about rules and regs, I am more about community and online health. Just different agendas and styles I guess.

From my perspective flight sims are a niche market and when someone tries a FC or DCS title they need to feel welcomed. Empty TS's (or TS's where squad member lock themselves in private rooms) and text chat of read the manual do not contribute to that feeling. I think we as a community need to realize these things are getting very complicated. It is different when you have grown with the genre than for someone trying it for the first time. I do not know much about 74th but it does not seem very friendly to new or inexperienced pilots. Do you keep your public server open to all skill levels? If you still offer the online public flight college I commend you for that innovative offering. It might sound a bit nicer advertised as a service rather than a "gift" though.

Edited by ZQuickSilverZ
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Easy gents.

Simple fact is that MP and VOIP are intimidating to some players. So sampling TS or Ventrilo servers doesn't exactly give you a full picture of the number of active players. That said a defacto "place to hang out" before a flight would be nice. Ive said it many times, but this is one thing Hyperlobby did well and its sorely missed in DCS. Hell, I got to know quite a few people from simply chatting in HL rather than actually flying.

• Like 2

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Unless you're Stuka :D

Even on a good day, with no work, no GF around,..... I'm not getting to 8 hours. :D

dUJOta.jpg

Windows 11 | i9 12900KF | 64GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | TM MFDs + Lilliput 8" | TIR5 Pro