Ohhhhhhhhhhhh the wait is killing me...

I am in the process of assembling my new system. This is great time for doing so, since now is the dawn of the next generation of CPUs and GPUs.

Now I am half way through. I've got the case, the PSU, the rams, and the HDD. All I need to do now is to choose a CPU (aiming at the successor of i5 2500K) and a GPU (either GTX660 or GTX 670), and a motherboard to accommodate all of them, and am good to go. Maybe an optical drive and some keyboard and mouse are in order, too. These are minor issues.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut when? The release is said to be some time in early April. But when can we actually put our hands on them? OMG I can't think about this right now.:cry::cry::cry:

BB,

Hey there.

You probably know, but the K series of Intel chips are easier and simpler to overclock. There's lots of easily-digestable material on the web about the recommended incremental steps and monitoring software used during the process of finding out how far you can safely overclock your CPU.

Again, you may already know this, but just sayin' :), every CPU is slightly different. To reach, let's say, a clock speed of 4.5GHz, one I5-2500k CPU would require a vcore (cpu voltage) of 1.28V to be stable, whereas another identical I5-2500k CPU would require 1.32V to be stable. You have to take it step by step and see where the CPU becomes unstable and/or too hot.

I know I know...You know this. Sorry. :) Just wanted to provide some useful information and to prevent hard earned cash being spent on a new system only to have it overclocked beyond safe parameters and and lose a ton of useful life.

Enjoy your new system and let us know how it goes!

CS

CheckSix

ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe G3, i7-2700k@4.5GHz, EVGA Classified GTX590 3GB, Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600MHz, Prolimatech Armageddon CPU Cooler, Intel 510 SSD 120GB, Western Digital 750GB, Silverstone 1000W Gold, CoolerMaster HAF X case, CH Fighterstick, CH ProThrottle, CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro

Hi blackbelter

I am in the process of assembling my new rig to!

Hopefully i should have all setup ready till the end of march - so I am joining with you with the pain of waiting for it.

As CheckSix mentiond K series are very good for overclocking but CPU is not the only part here - the mobo must be good enough too if you want to have stable system at the end.

Wow terminal....just wow ..... a man after my own heart. Very close to what I am building right now.

A word of caution though. Don't wait too long to build your system. If you build slowly its real hard to get a part exchanged past 30 days if something is DOA. Within 30 days you can return to the reseller after that you are on your own dealing with tech support from the manufacturer. My friend was a victim of this and I've seen many sob stories on Newegg etc of people lamenting that their part failed and it was past the 30 days and they were dealing with RMA's to the mfr for 4 weeks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

OK guys. I have 1TB Seagate HDD 32mb cache 7200rpm, 4GX2 1833mHz RAM, 750W 80+Gold PSU, will be getting i5 2500K or its next generation equivalent, and GTX580 3GB or its next generation equivalent (probably GTX670). If the price of GTX580 drops substantially, I might get another piece to setup SLI.

The question is, which do you think will be the bottleneck? Thanks.

Edited by blackbelter

Depends on what you're doing with your machine. :music_whistling: Also, why don't you have a SSD? You need one of those.

SSD in my impression only accelerates system/application loading time, which in my opinion is not that crucial... Plus the price is a bit too high, which brings down the value/price ratio further. Thanks for you suggestion. I will get it when then price drops to an acceptable level.

As for what I do with my computer, mainly I will be playing games on it, some of which might be very demanding (DCS, BF3 etc.). Watching movies and browsing the web are also part of its job perspective, but these are not so demanding in any respect.

BB,

Hey there.

You probably know, but the K series of Intel chips are easier and simpler to overclock. There's lots of easily-digestable material on the web about the recommended incremental steps and monitoring software used during the process of finding out how far you can safely overclock your CPU.

Again, you may already know this, but just sayin' :), every CPU is slightly different. To reach, let's say, a clock speed of 4.5GHz, one I5-2500k CPU would require a vcore (cpu voltage) of 1.28V to be stable, whereas another identical I5-2500k CPU would require 1.32V to be stable. You have to take it step by step and see where the CPU becomes unstable and/or too hot.

I know I know...You know this. Sorry. :) Just wanted to provide some useful information and to prevent hard earned cash being spent on a new system only to have it overclocked beyond safe parameters and and lose a ton of useful life.

Enjoy your new system and let us know how it goes!

CS

Thanks CS! I honestly didn't know anything about that... Thanks a lot for the information! Will have to look into this problem when my system is complete...:thumbup:

Hi blackbelter

I am in the process of assembling my new rig to!

Hopefully i should have all setup ready till the end of march - so I am joining with you with the pain of waiting for it.

As CheckSix mentiond K series are very good for overclocking but CPU is not the only part here - the mobo must be good enough too if you want to have stable system at the end.

Till the end of March? What do you mean? What part of your setup will be released at that time?

Anyway, good luck... to the both of us!:helpsmilie:

• 2 months later...

I just took the leap and ordered the Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals and a TIR5

I'll likely get them on tuesday or wednesday but as the title say, ohhhhhhhhhhhh the wait is killing me...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]