Choosing new joystick

So I kinda feel this has been done before, But I couldn't find a thread about it so I'm gonna start a new one, hope that's okay.

Anyway, I need a stick with more hats. My current one has only 1 and people's eyes get wide when I tell them I fly A10 with a 1 hat switch stick (Modifiers FTW)

The Thrustmaster Warthog is the obvious choice, and the Logitech G940 is also an exellent option (according to friends who has it,) however there is a catch. I want a stick that has built in stick twist and throttle slider because that's what I'm used to and I'm a conservative bastard that doesn't like new things. Also pedals and throttle take up a lot of space. Therefore the question is, which sticks are out there that has reasonable quality, multiple Hat switches but also still has rudder twist and. Hopefully there is some :noexpression:

if anyone can recommend a specific stick through personal experience that'd be amazing.

I use the Saitek X52 Pro (better construction and precision than the standard version, but still relatively cheap), and it has three hat switches, four slider axes and a button mouse on the throttle. I still have to double up using a modifier to simulate all of the Warthog's HOTAS switches, but it's comfortable to use and has a twist-rudder which can be disabled. I know you're looking for something that has everything contained in one stick unit, but I can't really think of anything that fits that description, sorry. This might be your best choice.

Personally, I say pick up the Warthog and the Saitek rudder pedals. I really like the combo and they perform very well. Once you have a true HOTAS and separate rudder peddals you'll never want to go back to an all-in-one stick. Sure they take up more room, but they offer so much more.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

I wish I could recommend something but you have created a bit of a conundrum for yourself.

More hats = higher end sticks

higher end stick = separate throttle

higher end stick (with a couple of exceptions) = no twist

I can't think of anything with lots of hats and no separate throttle. For lots of hats along with a twist rudder the Saitek line would be the only choice that I am aware of but they all have separate throttles.

Flight simming takes up a lot of space I have found.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I now have the X-52 Pro that I picked up 2nd hand, and am really happy with it.

Fractal Define R4 Case | Core i7-9700K @ 4.9GHz| 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi | Gigabyte RTX3080 Gaming OC 12GB | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (OS) | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (DCS) | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (Steam library) | 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD | Corsair 750W Gold PSU | Corsair H60 Hydro Series CPU Cooler | [TrackIR 5 unused] | Meta Quest Pro | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Win 10 Home 64-bit | Asus PG348Q 34" 3440x1440 Monitor | Bose Companion 3 2.1 Sound

I now have the X-52 Pro that I picked up 2nd hand, and am really happy with it.

How does the input resolution of the x-52 pro feel? Are fine inputs translated well to the screen? For example during a refuel?

Im looking for a new stick as well and had considered the x-52 pro as a replacement for my microsoft force feedback 2

How does the input resolution of the x-52 pro feel? Are fine inputs translated well to the screen? For example during a refuel?

Im looking for a new stick as well and had considered the x-52 pro as a replacement for my microsoft force feedback 2

Just in case you were not aware, and no longer want it, there is a pretty good demand for MS FFB2 sticks. A lot of ROF players swear by them.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Had the x52 pro. Was ok for the money, I ended up with pedals as the twist was so "spikey"

I've now got the TMW and honestly, they are not even in the same league for precision/ functionality comparison!

You must have plenty of room under your desk for pedals :)

There's really no choice, you must get the Thrustmaster Warthog. Everything else is a toy. :) The ability to fly the same as you'd fly the plane is so perfect. It's not just "better" than other joysticks, it's at such a higher level you can't even compare it.

If you can't afford one (and it's semi-required pedals) then the X-52/X-52 Pro is a real solid choice as others have said. But really, get the Warthog, it's amazing.

Just in case you were not aware, and no longer want it, there is a pretty good demand for MS FFB2 sticks. A lot of ROF players swear by them.

I have an X52 and a MS FFB2, and I really prefer the mechanics of the FFB2, but damned if it doesn't have enough buttons. :cry:

i5-4670K@4.5GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / GTX1080

Rift CV1 / G-seat / modded FFB HOTAS

There's really no choice, you must get the Thrustmaster Warthog. Everything else is a toy. :) The ability to fly the same as you'd fly the plane is so perfect.

That was actually my 2nd concern with the TMW. It seems too specialized. For sure its totally kick ass for DCS-a10 which as far as I know is the only sim which can utilize that joystick. I assume TM made that stick after learning about development of DCS A-10.

Does it work okay for say games like IL2 / wwII sims or racing /driving games...The upcoming DCS p51...Or does the high degree of specialization actually make it a poor choice for anything other than DCS A-10??

What about the BASE it looks like it must be screwed down to stay put is that true?

That was actually my 2nd concern with the TMW. It seems too specialized. For sure its totally kick ass for DCS-a10 which as far as I know is the only sim which can utilize that joystick. I assume TM made that stick after learning about development of DCS A-10.

Does it work okay for say games like IL2 / wwII sims or racing /driving games...The upcoming DCS p51...Or does the high degree of specialization actually make it a poor choice for anything other than DCS A-10??

What about the BASE it looks like it must be screwed down to stay put is that true?

I can move my throttle if I am lifting it over the idle detent, otherwise it did not move. That is in reference to testing I did prior to bolting it down. I can remove it in about a minute though with one phillips screwdriver.

As for other sims. I have it mapped to IL2, ROF and FSX and it works just fine. You just have to ignore the labels on the throttle base. It is just a collection of hats and buttons that happens to match the A-10C. No worse than setting up my old X-52 for all of those sims.

EDIT: As for racing and driving. I don't play those but I really can't imagine using any joystick on a car sim. The pedals would be wrong too.

Also, the total shipping weight is 22lbs.

Edited by cichlidfan

Richard burns rally which I consider the DSC -A10 of driving sims worked well with my joystick.

Thanks for the info...Maybe I'll just have to save up for that TMW. It sounds like its construction is superior...

The other option is the saitek based on the input :)

Thanks

-Gun

Guest masterwon

I would like separate Rudder pedals, however I use a big fat comfy puffy leather recliner :)

Are they coming out with rudder motion sensors for the feet any time soon :unsure: