Returning Pilot with ''Newbie'' Questions

SniperRu

Hello all, I haven't play a flight sim in years, ever since my old cheap joystick passed away. I've played the original Su-27 Flanker, Flanker 2.0 & 2.5, LOMAC and I own Flamming Cliffs. On a recent visit to Ukraine to see my family I bought Black Shark and decided to get back to flying. So my questions are:

1. Can you guys suggest me a good joystick in the price range of 100$, I wanted to get a x52 but they are out of stock everywhere until May.

2. What is Flamming Cliffs 2 ? is it just a patch or do I have to buy it? is it compatible with my Flamming Cliffs (Russian version bought in Ukraine) ?

3. What is Black Shark 2 ? again is it a patch? will it be compatible with my Russian version ?

4. I also want to buy a head tracking system, I'm planning to get NaturalPoint's TrackIR 4.0, is this a good choice? I mostly want 6DOF, but is there anything else to consider?

Thanks for your help, I can't wait to get back to :pilotfly:

Hello all, I haven't play a flight sim in years, ever since my old cheap joystick passed away. I've played the original Su-27 Flanker, Flanker 2.0 & 2.5, LOMAC and I own Flamming Cliffs. On a recent visit to Ukraine to see my family I bought Black Shark and decided to get back to flying. So my questions are:

1. Can you guys suggest me a good joystick in the price range of 100$, I wanted to get a x52 but they are out of stock everywhere until May.

2. What is Flamming Cliffs 2 ? is it just a patch or do I have to buy it? is it compatible with my Flamming Cliffs (Russian version bought in Ukraine) ?

3. What is Black Shark 2 ? again is it a patch? will it be compatible with my Russian version ?

4. I also want to buy a head tracking system, I'm planning to get NaturalPoint's TrackIR 4.0, is this a good choice? I mostly want 6DOF, but is there anything else to consider?

Thanks for your help, I can't wait to get back to :pilotfly:

1: X52 is the stick in that range really. As a cheaper alternative you can go for the T flight Hotas X which I use but is less capable (fine for BS though.) I'd wait personally.

2: Flaming cliffs two is a paid upgrade which requires the original LOMAC to install. It's also compatible with Black shark 1 There's a load of youtube videos you can take a look at and see if it's worth the upgrade. It's probably going for about £20 in most places.

3: Black shark 2 is a paid upgrade to Black Shark which gives it compatibility with A-10 along with a load of other stuff (the new map and terrain engine). Available for 20$ as an upgrade to the original and 40$ as a standalone game. There's a full changelog somewhere.

4: No idea don't use headtracking. There is a Track Ir 5 but may be more expensive but I've no idea.

This useful?

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

Hey,

FC = original flaming cliffs

FC2 = Flaming cliffs v2

BS = original Black shark

BS2 = Black shark 2

A10C = DCS A10C Warthog

1 - Not much experience with joysticks. For me the Logitech xtreme 3d pro is just fine. The Thrustmaster 16000M is also good and probably my next upgrade. It uses magnetic sensors. But better wait for the x52 though.

2 - An upgrade for FC1 but still requires LOMAC to be installed

3 - A paid upgrade for BS. A10C and BS2 use the new graphics engine which sets it apart from FC2. BS2 is compatible with A10C in multiplayer, while BS is only compatible with FC2 in multiplayer. FC2 will soon be upgraded to version 3 to get it into the new world of BS2 and A10C

4 - I'm planning to buy TrackIr 5. Can't tell for TrackIr 4

'Frett'

4. I use TrackIR 4 and it works fine with BS, BS2 and Warthog. Since my recent rig upgrade I use the TrackIR 5 software with TrackIR 4 hardware, which works even better, the software has improved considerably. Also no problems on WinXP or Win7 64.