KA-50 PIT

showtime817th

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little up date

Here’s couple pic of what I have been doing, but it’s still in the rough..I found a tool that would cut the size of hole I needed for the gauges for the right IP from Harbor Freight. I needed a 2 and 7/8 hole. I use 2 and 7/8 (OD) LB conduit from Homedpot to fit in the hole for instrument bezel.

RTIP.thumb.JPG.579dc07701e3c192370f30903752246e.JPG

1845106917_photo(12).thumb.jpg.90d364590e67f29d9547dee7a85231b3.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

That looks really sharp you might find some real Russian switches on eBay for the final touch

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=russian+switch&_sacat=0&_from=R40

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

• 2 weeks later...

Your sharkpit is coming extremely good. Now you also have to make the two MS mod stick or something similar like other have suggested earlier.

Edit: And something that every homepit should have::joystick:

Edited by RpSPT

What are you making your panels out of? Im starting a Eurofighter pit which has almost all square buttons, so without a cutter I can drill square holes.

Ive sent some drawings off to a machinist to quote but if its over $200 (which I think it will be) I dont want to bother. Im planning on gettig a dremmel for Christmas so I may be able to router my own perspex.

I was thinking some thin plastic or layers of card I could cut with a blade.

Suppose I could always paper mache it!! Lol.

Cockpit made out of multiple levels of cardboard. :)

3D plastic printer might be nice for some panels, not that they are expensive at all.

Edit: Now that I thought about it for a second, it might actually be good idea to check how much do some firms take cost from 3d printed stuff.

Edit2: You could also use plastic kitchen cutting boards to make some panels, those are dirt cheap and you can cut it with home tools.

Edited by RpSPT

A round hole and square file works wonders when you have patience. With thin material it is easy. Showtime is away at Holiday. I am amazed at the work he does by hand. Makes me want to give up hehehe

I've also seen square cutters that can be used on light material with a drill press or arbor.

I have seen a cockpit made of self-laminated cardboard. It looked great.

I bet that huge screen would make perople sick. :)

Edited by JG14_Smil

What are you making your panels out of? Im starting a Eurofighter pit which has almost all square buttons, so without a cutter I can drill square holes.

Ive sent some drawings off to a machinist to quote but if its over $200 (which I think it will be) I dont want to bother. Im planning on gettig a dremmel for Christmas so I may be able to router my own perspex.

I was thinking some thin plastic or layers of card I could cut with a blade.

Thanks Guys,

The panels are made out of 1/8” plexiglass from Home Depot. I drew out on paper what I wanted and used spray adhesive to glue it on to the plexiglass leaving the plastic film on. I drilled hole in the middle of the square, then I used a screw saw to cute out the square holes and then pull off the plastic film, paint and label it. I also did the same on the wood. The structure of the pit is mad out of ½”,1/4” and some ¾” plywood from Home Depot. The tools I have used so far is, table saw, screw saw, skill saw, electric drill gun and hole saw. If you look on post #7 you can see the plexiglass I used.

Showtime

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Apparently, they're a little proud of their screen for that price point.

That cost includes six projectors, screen, computer capaple of running the system, 5.1 sound system and their software.

One would be able to build the screen part with six projectors and a screen for about 5000 euros, but the software that blends the pictures together would be a little problematic to make yourself. I dont know if that company sell just the software.

That cost includes six projectors, screen, computer capaple of running the system, 5.1 sound system and their software.

One would be able to build the screen part with six projectors and a screen for about 5000 euros, but the software that blends the pictures together would be a little problematic to make yourself. I dont know if that company sell just the software.

Look in my sig for several examples of pre-warping software. I've been experimenting with multi-projector setups since 2009. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. I help other DIY builders all the time with multi-projector projects.

Edited by BHawthorne

Look in my sig for several examples of pre-warping software. I've been experimenting with multi-projector setups since 2009. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. I help other DIY builders all the time with multi-projector projects.

I will have to contact when I have possibility for such setup. A picture would have been better in this thread as I put the video here just to illustrate the screen idea.

I will have to contact when I have possibility for such setup. A picture would have been better in this thread as I put the video here just to illustrate the screen idea.

Sounds great. Personally, I suggest most simpit builders ideally just do 2-projector 180 degree. Something like 6-projector setup like that is only adding complexity for cost. Sure you get more pixel density with that but I don't think 6x projector cost is worth messing with for the added pixel density. :thumbup:

I read up on building for two years 2006-2008, before trying my first build. There is plenty of research out there before you decide on building a screen. It's just like simpits -- there are always 10 different ways to do something.

Edited by BHawthorne

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...