The odd LOD thread! Report LOD inconsistencies here.

Corrigan

I've been trying out to gain some FPS by adjusting the LOD's in game as well and have gained about 20-25% increase in instance where there are a number of aircrafts on base (namely Su-25A and Su-25T) so here's attached file if anyone wants to try it out

To install just extract to main DCS World directory

EDIT: If you have downloaded the file please download again as I found I made a mistake for few lods files (I've put a comment with description what unit it is but seems putting comment in lods file makes unit not aper in mission). Sorry for inconvinience :noexpression:

Edited by Kuky

No longer active in DCS...

I´m talking about if the LOD distance is reduced to a point that could be more visible a lower 3D model from near distances than usual.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

I´m talking about if the LOD distance is reduced to a point that could be more visible a lower 3D model from near distances than usual.

Depending on resolution of course, I'd like to know too -- any visual difference?

No, I didn't make the units more visible, I've just reduced the distances to what I think is acceptable level to reduce number of polygons game has to render and improve performance a bit (this will mostly matter the most in missions where there are lot of units) but not to have very low poly boxes visible too early. So there is no real visual difference at all.

I have re-uploaded the files in previous post as I found I made a mistake by putting comments in lods files so please download the file again

No longer active in DCS...

• 4 weeks later...

TU-95 LOD Bug

I reported this problem in the FC3 bug thread, but since it didn't make the bug list there perhaps it is a DCS World Bug and belongs here.

When intercepting TU-95, it is visible beyond 10 miles, but disappears around 5 miles out, only to re-appear again a bit closer.

So, no transition from a small LOD to the full visible model...but a jump from small LOD - to- invisible - to detailed LOD.

Surely, this appears to be an LOD bug...for at least the TU-95

Velocity MicroI7-4790 Windows 7 Home Premium 16Gigs RAM EVGA NVIDIA GTX 1070 500GB SSD TM Hotas Warthog

• 3 months later...

Ver 1.2.3 did not fix the TU-95 LOD bug...so I am using Mustangs LOD fix from November 2012....by just extracting the LOD file for the TU-95 from it, and putting in the appropriate Ver. 1.2.3 folder.

I wonder what other LOD errors still exist in Ver. 1.2.3

Velocity MicroI7-4790 Windows 7 Home Premium 16Gigs RAM EVGA NVIDIA GTX 1070 500GB SSD TM Hotas Warthog

Bumping this, I think it looks terrible and needs to be fixed.

Screen_121008_205900.jpg

The flare is, as you can see, MUCH too big at the furthest LoD.

Here's another: Humvee firing.

I'm gonna be a bore and bump these again. (Unless of course it has it been fixed in 1.2.3.) I really think it's distracting -- how come there's not been a fix? Is it technically difficult?

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

I can confirm that it is not fixed in 1.2.3.

2p460.jpg

This is a Shilka. (Well, the black speck in the middle of the 100 times larger muzzle flare is...)

At some distance, a new lod texture takes over, which is MUUUUCH too big.

EDIT: Now, the lods of standalone DCS A10 (while not perfect) do not exhibit this behaviour. Mustang, or someone, if you know where the relevant files are, could you either show me so that I can try replacing them for the standalone files, or try that yourselves? Thanks!

Edited by Corrigan

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

Ok, so I replaced the model files for the ZSU-23-4 Shilka contained in Bazar/World/shapes with the old files. I ran the same mission, even keeping the mission editor open while replacing the files, and the muzzle flash is the much more reasonable standalone one.

So this bug is not present in 1.2.3 with 1.1.2.2 model files. I'll do some more digging, but I'm severely limited by not knowing the first thing about how the game engine works. :D

EDIT: The relevant file is zsu-23-4.edm.

Edited by Corrigan

Looking at the Shilka model, zsu-23-4.edm now. The muzzle flair seems to be argument #23. At 3000 meters viewing distance, it switches to using the textures flame_f13 and flame_f14 for the muzzle flash. These are the huge ones.

Does anyone know where these textures are contained? Thanks.