Master server connection

BRooDJeRo

Hey fellas,

When im hosting a server, after a while, the server wont be listed anymore. On my end it doesnt matter what computer i use. Also it doesnt matter if im at my mothers house or or at home. (different town)

The server directly connected to the outsideline without routers and soft/hardware firewall. A different port.

It all doesnt seem to matter, i just dont keep connection with the masterserver so the server stays listed like anyone elses.

Im running more serverstuff and they dont show connectionloss at any given time or timeouts.

Im running out of options to try basicly, but i think ive come to the point to ask what going on there buddys? The connection seems to timeout or something. Its not a huge problem, but its nice when im actualy sleeping that i dont have to restart the server every 30-45 minutes or a machine is being turned on all day and night for nothing. :megalol:

Edited by BRooDJeRo

Issue is known by the community for some time now. We've tried to let ED know that this issue exists, by numerous posts en pm's, but there never was confirmation from ED that they know there's an issue with it.

B

i7 6700k/GTX1070-8G/MSI-Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon/32GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX PREDATOR DDR4 3000MHZ Vengeance 1600/TM Warthog #6106/Samsung SB350_S27B350H/OCZ Agility3 SSD 128GB / Win10-64/TIR5

What is the location if the masterserver and IP? Still have pingplot it. The problem doesnt have to be at the masterserver, software or with the players

Perhaps theres a node somewhere with problems towards the masterserver and from a certain region of the planet you always take that standard route. Other servers on other locations in the world dont take that route and dont have problems. The packetloss causes the timeout eventualy.

MMO's suffer the same kind of problem described above, however they usualy program around it or relocated the server to a better location with a higher quality network to all regions of the planet.

Maybe the masterserver is just a joke in an old commodore pet casing next to the fridge and coffeemachine. I hope not...

Maybe connections from europe get packetstripped by a 'man-in-the-middle' or the government and send on again...

Edited by BRooDJeRo

Well....

Due to the fact that i need some sleep and at least must know an answer to 'why' or 'how', i ran some scans with a program called Pingplotter.

My firewall says DCS.exe connects to the masterserver with IP 161.58.185.114 on port 5222.

A whois search results in:

IP location: United States New York City Ntt America Inc.

Registered to: NTT America Enterprise Hosting - Sterling

The next 2 pictures show a packettrace to the masterserver. The first picture shows when the trace has started 30-45 seconds and the second a minute later.

The packetloss in the end of the trace starts kicking of 10 seconds after being connected at 10-40%, then it jumps up to 80% (pic 1) towards full packetloss (pic2).

When i look at the IP whois and the traceroute IP's it is reasonable to say that the start of major loss originates at NTT America Enterprise Hosting - Sterling's doorstep and the cause is somewhere in between the doorstep and the server itself. We're being timed out. When Eagle Dynamics is paying for the hosting i'd start calling with the suggestion to NTT to solve it or start asking to get money back, because whats being offered is the ultra-basic and ED most likely payed for premium. ('premium' is the new word of the century btw)

I'd say start cleaning up some cables in the serverroom...... :cry:

When a new game engine is being put on the same location the same problems will come up. The reason why some DCS hosts dont suffer losses can be, because the enter the hosting companys network on a different IP and hardware in the last 2 hops. When this is the case possibly connections through the 'good' nodes can be made. But what are those IP's?

trace1.jpg

Edited by BRooDJeRo

When I trace from Norway I enter NTT on 129.250.8.201 wich responds OK but next step 129.250.2.160 is not OK. Firewall issue?

(HJ)

Does you DCS.exe connect to 161.58.185.114:5222 too?

---

Scenario 1:

Software masterserver or serversettings = OK

Hardware NTT or NTT settings = (/make fart-sound)

Scenario 2:

Software masterserver or serversettings = (/make fart-sound)

Hardware NTT or NTT settings = OK

Scenario 3:

Software masterserver or serversettings = (/make fart-sound)

Hardware NTT or NTT settings = (/make fart-sound)

Personaly i think it's scenarion 1.

Ive also checked the other serverlocations in Germany and Russia on the IP's given by the DNS.

No packetloss to Germany from the Netherlands and to Russia seems a different story and the measurement seems to be blocked at several locations.

Im wondering if DCS servers in the USA suffer de-listing timeouts from the masterserver and if theres servers elsewherein the world suffering from this or not and what their trace is to the masterserver.

POLLLLLLLLL:

Its maybe good to get some information together before bombarding a hostingservice with a bunch of technical messages.

16 options:

DCS server location: non-US

Masterserver de-listing timeout: YES

Packettrace result: Packetloss @ NTT NY (161.58.185.114:5222)

Packettrace result: Packetloss elsewhere than @ NTT NY (161.58.185.114:5222)

Packettrace result: NO packetloss

No packettrace measurement has been done.

Masterserver de-listing timeout: NO

DCS server location: US

Edited by BRooDJeRo

Getting things ironed out outside ED or at least investigate something might solve a great deal of problems people are having.

A hosting company will act when the customers starts calling and the community starts contacting them too. You'd be amzazed what you can acomplish. :smilewink:

On 2 machines DCS is running fine apart from this connectionissue and im determined to get rid of it. Im also sure im not alone, so i wont believe nobody actualy cares.

Edited by BRooDJeRo

With DFDT we're having similar issues, and have decided to drop DCS in favour of FC2.

In the last three weeks, we have been able to fly DCS online for about 30 minutes...

I'm also seriously considering to not show DCS at public events, due to the frequent problems connecting to the Master Server.

Better stick to FC2, which actually works.

Since ED seem to ignore threads like this, I don't expect these issues will be solved anytime soon...

Dutch Flanker Display Team | LLTM 2010 Tiger Spirit Award

Also if ED's Isp is not up to scratch then that could be a factor. That's out of ED's hands and if ED is a small customer then they have no chance for a change. Isp is likely to go: "500.00 customers says everything is all-right or don't complain, 1 company says "we have a problem"

Isp : tough... :)

Maybe the masterserver is abit hasty to drop servers from the list in case of dropped packets..

It's a very small needle and a very big haystack...:(

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wow, awesome Mr. Groove.

Thank you for your reply.

To Macedk:

I understand you completely, however some customers like me are of a different breed. (when you dont get what you pay for, get your money back and/or go somewhere where you will be serviced and heard).

Its also not just 'some' packageloss, but its almost all of the packages. The difference between a 20-40% and 70-90% to make it at least acceptable for some server to overlook any loss, seems a bit high doesnt it. Specialy for a place where geniunity in softwarestatus is being checked. You cant have 'loose' security here.

Edited by BRooDJeRo

• ED Team

Can anybody attach here 2 synchronous logs (\Logs archive) - server and client after unsuccessfull connect?

Men may keep a sort of level of good, but no man has ever been able to keep on one level of evil. That road goes down and down.  
Можно держаться на одном уровне добра, но никому и никогда не удавалось удержаться на одном уровне зла. Эта дорога ведёт вниз и вниз.

G.K. Chesterton

DCS World 2.5: Часто задаваемые вопросы