SU-25T - Internal gunpod doesn't angle down.

docfu

Not quite correct.

Apologies for being vague: I was referring to utilizing PROGR mode with Combat Steering mode. WCS/AP will automatically adjust gunpod depression/elevation angle to put rounds on target whilst simultaneously maintaining the correct pitch and bank angle to ensure horizontal flight over target throughout the engagement.

Ah I see combat steering will work with PROGR but I don't use it because it screws up the trim and then I have to reset it with another autopilot mode.

I seemed to manage it, but the guns will fire pre-LA and the autopilot does seem to dive a bit once near the target. Also some stuttering with the range bar near the LA range.

PROGR strafing.trk

Edited by marcos

Wish I was at home to doublecheck what the manual has to say about PROGR mode because I don't recall it saying anything about depressing the trigger and the guns firing automatically when in range. Unfortunately, the info is scattered in several different places.

My fault - apologies.

That's me getting confused with depressing trigger when LA is obtained in Combat Steering mode - I mixed it up thinking that trigger is depressed prior to LA........:music_whistling:

It's been a while since I tinkered with CS mode and Gunpods :D

Don't be so quick to apologize. :) While I don't recall the system ever working this way, the manual clearly states on pg 18:

The ПРОГР mode is used to concentrate gunpod fire on a point target from horizontal flight. For this it is necessary to depress the barrels to the desired angle with [RCtrl-=] and [RCtrl--], switch on the laser range-finder - [RShift-O], maneuver the aircraft to put the pipper over the target and pull and hold the trigger. The gun barrels will automatically start firing at the right time, then deflect automatically in vertical plane to stay on target.

But it indicates something different on pg 55:

Set the interval/gun pods mode switch to PROGR mode...In a wings-level dive, place the aiming mark on the target and, when "LA" message appears, open fire by pressing the weapon release button on your joystick or by pressing the [space] key on your keyboard

Both of these statements were lifted verbatim from the Flaming Cliffs 1.1 manual, though they are probably in the FC2 manual as well and I imagine that's the source of the present manual. I just don't have a copy of FC2 to check.

Rich

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

...but the guns will fire pre-LA and the autopilot does seem to dive a bit once near the target....

I believe in Viper's track, the guns didn't autofire either. The nose dip in the end looks to be the system trying to keep the guns on target. You had slowed to a nose high altitude so the deflection angle had increased. If you fly it at a faster speed (more nose level), the dip doesn't happen.

Rich

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Don't be so quick to apologize. :) While I don't recall the system ever working this way, the manual clearly states on pg 18:

But it indicates something different on pg 55:

Both of these statements were lifted verbatim from the Flaming Cliffs 1.1 manual, though they are probably in the FC2 manual as well and I imagine that's the source of the present manual. I just don't have a copy of FC2 to check.

Rich

You are quite correct, the Su-25T manual does mention something about depressing the barrels in PROGR mode but that's nonsense because they do that automatically to the correct elevation for the locked and lased target.

You area probably right. I left the brakes on because I'd just dived from 2000m and didn't want to be going too fast when I reached 500m. I am not a good pilot.

Edited by marcos

You are quite correct, the Su-25T manual does mention something about depressing the barrels in PROGR mode but that's nonsense because they do that automatically to the correct elevation for the locked and lased target.

Actually, I haven't seen that. Mention of elevating or depressing the barrels is always made prior to entering PROGR mode. Usually the sentence following that reads something like: Turn on the laser rangefinder and enter PROGR mode.

...I am not a good pilot.

Perhaps... but I am seeing improvement in each track I've viewed. In a sim such as this, you have to make a distinction between the aircraft you fly and the weapons platform it represents. The 25T, A-10, etc are airborn weapon platforms. You have to be able to maneuver that platform without thinking and be able to hold it steady when necessary before you can use it to fight effectively. Flying it has to be 2nd nature. Only then can you use it effectively and efficiently as a weapon platform.

So keep that in mind. If you try to do it all at once, you are setting out to accomplish a monumental task. That is part of the reason for the 25T's ACS suite in real life--to help keep the aircraft stable, when flying the aircraft is not 2nd nature to a less experienced pilot. It helps to alleviate some of the work load.

In your shoes, I'd create an empty mission with only the -25T either on the tarmac or on the runway. Load it to 70% weight capacity with weapons and fuel and fly it. Practice taking off and landing, maintaining level flight, level turns, climbing turns, descending turns. Get a real feel for the aircraft and how it will behave in a dive, how to quickly increase speed, decrease speed, etc, etc, etc. Personally, I find those kinds of challenges entertaining--learning the aircraft well enough that I can make it do what I want it to do, when I want it to do it.

Enjoy and keep flying.

Rich

_____

You have to be able to maneuver that platform without thinking and be able to hold it steady when necessary before you can use it to fight effectively. Flying it has to be 2nd nature. Only then can you use it effectively and efficiently as a weapon platform.

So keep that in mind. If you try to do it all at once, you are setting out to accomplish a monumental task. That is part of the reason for the 25T's ACS suite in real life--to help keep the aircraft stable, when flying the aircraft is not 2nd nature to a less experienced pilot. It helps to alleviate some of the workload

Quite so. It's worth the perseverance when you realise that the aircraft everyone refers to as a flying brick is actually a lethal arrow in capable hands :)

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Oh I can kill stuff with it no problems, I can kill stuff with anything, even going back to the Sopwith Camel I used to fly on Wings for the Amiga 500, but still I am not a good pilot, just a good killer.

Quite so. It's worth the perseverance when you realise that the aircraft everyone refers to as a flying brick is actually a lethal arrow in capable hands :)

It's CCIP aiming system is better than the A-10's too but don't tell anyone.

Edited by marcos

Oh I can kill stuff with it no problems, I can kill stuff with anything...

A stone cold killer. :thumbup: Develop your piloting skills and you'll be an efficient one, too. :)

Rich

_____