A few questions about GBUs and CBUs

Cookie

Hi all,

I´m the new kid in town and bought this amazing sim just two weeks ago (here is some info about my background in case anyone is interested). So far I am having a blast of a time, and learning this baby is really rewarding. However, there are some questions that popped up to which I couldn´t find an answer in the manual or in the forums, so please bear with me while I ask some newbie questions:

1) Is there a way to drop multiple GBUs on a single (!) target in one run? I´m not talking about plinking several single targets with one bomb each in one run (I learned to do that by using Markpoints), but one target, two bombs.

Background: I was tasked to destroy an ammo dump, but all I had on board was six GBU-38. A single GBU-31 would have taken care of the job, but a -38 is just too weak. So I wanted to drop four of them at once, but I couldn´t find a ripple option. That forced me to drop just one bomb at a time, which did get the job done in the end, but required me to make several passes over the target. Is there any workaround for this?

2) Is there any way to change the HOF and RPM when using CBUs? There is no such option on the profile settings, and the manual is kinda vague about this. Any hint would be appreciated, thanks!

Edited by Cookie
  • Like 1

- Two miles of road lead nowhere, two miles of runway lead everywhere -

Click here for system specs

Hi Cookie,

1) Is there a way to drop multiple GBUs on a single (!) target in one run? I´m not talking about plinking several single targets with one bomb each in one run (I learned to do that by using Markpoints), but one target, two bombs.

Background: I was tasked to destroy an ammo dump, but all I had on board was six GBU-38. A single GBU-31 would have taken care of the job, but a -38 is just too weak. So I wanted to drop four of them at once, but I couldn´t find a ripple option. That forced me to drop just one bomb at a time, which did get the job done in the end, but required me to make several passes over the target. Is there any workaround for this?

There is no way to ripple your JDAMs in the particular software version of the A-10C's fire control computer simulated in DCS: A-10C. You could do so with LGBs though, I believe. You can attempt to slow down your closure to the min-range point via s-turns (don't actually slow down :P ) and pickle multiple JDAMs in the amount of time you have.

2) Is there any way to change the HOF and RPM when using CBUs? There is no such option on the profile settings, and the manual is kinda vague about this. Any hint would be appreciated, thanks!

Yes, you have to do it through the DSMS inventory page, not through profiles. In reality, those settings would be pre-set on the ground and you would not be able to change them in-flight.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Maybe not four, but if you fly high enough (some 12 000 ft.) and are fast enough, you can easily have enough time to pickle three GBU-38s one after another in one run. Zoom TGP so that you can see the target and designate it. Pickle the first one as soon as you see the "MAN REL". If you want, you can move the TGP cursor a bit and pickle again. And again. You have to be fast with your pickle button. But not too fast (-> ABORTED).

A firefighter ..... well well , a real live hero . I have massive respect for people who do that job . Well done .

Hope you recover quickly Andre , and return to your job in excellant shape . What do you fly under (name) i mean , I will keep my eyes open and hope to fly alongside you soon .

Meanwhile , enjoy the experiance of the A-10C . If you have any spare cash , you should buy a TrackIR5 and an TM Warthog to get the best from the experiance .

Again , wish you a speedy recovery :)

Edited by badger66

OT: Since the questions are already answered, I'd just like to say welcome to the forum! And feel free to save my sorry butt in Linden-Süd once your back in your job if my place should ever burst into flames. Oh, and right after that, try to rescue my Warthog, that thing is so damn expensive. :-)

I've never done it, but you should be able to pickle multiple JDAMs in one run. Or if you're desperate, make two or three mark points on the building and pickle on all mark points.

HOF and RPM is set on the INV page of the DSMS.

Good luck!

i7 8700K | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB RAM | 500GB M.2 SSD | TIR5 w/ Trackclip Pro | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

[sigpic]http://www.132virtualwing.org[/sigpic]

Thanks for the nice welcome, everyone! :beer:

Yes, you have to do it through the DSMS inventory page, not through profiles. In reality, those settings would be pre-set on the ground and you would not be able to change them in-flight.

Ah okay, if my memory serves me right I was able to do this in Falcon 4, so I figured it´s something that can be done in every a/c while in flight. Since I´m a sucker for realism I won´t touch it then while I am in the air.

A firefighter ..... well well , a real live hero . I have massive respect for people who do that job . Well done .

No, not a hero. I just do what I love doing, that´s all.

If you have any spare cash , you should buy a TrackIR5 and an TM Warthog to get the best from the experiance .
Already did... ;) Best investment ever, and makes flying the Hog so much easier.

And feel free to save my sorry butt in Linden-Süd once your back in your job if my place should ever burst into flames. Oh, and right after that, try to rescue my Warthog, that thing is so damn expensive. :-)

Sorry, wrong part of the town, my station covers the Buchholz / Misburg / Kirchrode neighborhoods. However, if your Warthog is in danger I will make my way over there of course. Can´t let anything happen to that precious litte thing now, can we? :D

Awesome! That´s exactly what I was asking for! How did you do it?

- Two miles of road lead nowhere, two miles of runway lead everywhere -

Click here for system specs

There's a lot of unrealistic stuff in Falcon, much like it is in every hi-fi sim :)

In RL, you set those parameters for the weapon on the weapon itself - you can't do it through DSMS at all. It's a little rotary that you turn with a screwdriver to the desired setting.

You can access it through DSMS in both games since there is no alternative method of having these pre-set on the ground.

Ah okay, if my memory serves me right I was able to do this in Falcon 4, so I figured it´s something that can be done in every a/c while in flight. Since I´m a sucker for realism I won´t touch it then while I am in the air.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

There's a lot of unrealistic stuff in Falcon, much like it is in every hi-fi sim :)

In RL, you set those parameters for the weapon on the weapon itself - you can't do it through DSMS at all. It's a little rotary that you turn with a screwdriver to the desired setting.

You can access it through DSMS in both games since there is no alternative method of having these pre-set on the ground.

Have you "guys" given consideration to simply allowing it to be modified in the munitions window only? Might be a way to make it more realistic if it's not too much trouble to model. (not a priority by any means)

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

Sorry, wrong part of the town, my station covers the Buchholz / Misburg / Kirchrode neighborhoods. However, if your Warthog is in danger I will make my way over there of course. Can´t let anything happen to that precious litte thing now, can we? :D

Haha, deal! :thumbup:

1) Is there a way to drop multiple GBUs on a single (!) target in one run?

Not with GBU-31/38s... However, You CAN ripple multiple GBU-12's. Remember the only difference between a GBU-12 and GBU-31 is the guidance package. The "Bomb" is the same. (Same thing goes for GBU-10/38s)

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=76388&highlight=CBU+HOF+Setting

Should help ya out...

Have Fun and Stay Save on the Job Brother

Gary

"C-SHIFT PRIDE"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Why not? just one by one.

I think his original post indicated he knew he could do it that way... I understood him to be looking for a way to drop multiple weapons with one Pickle press. Since you cant ripple JDAMs...He'll have to use a "Dumb" Bomb in CCIP or CCRP.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.