[DCS World: BS2] Missile Launch Zone Circle

Devrim

Hi...

I don't know if it's a bug. But when my first playing in DCS World BS2, I realized about attitude of that circle.

Shortly; after missile launch, "missile launch zone circle" was keeping its position in BS2. But in DCSW:BS2, it jumps another place. Which one is true?

Please watch my video. (Make sure you can see annotations.)

Thanks.

• Like 2

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

I think in this version it depends upon wich rail the missile start from.

For a launch from the left rail you need to turn your nose few degrees to the right.

I suppose this way you have a smoother missile launch, the path is more straight than before, maybe the range result extended?

For me is a new feature not a bug.

I noticed that this "new feature" causes many missiles not to find the laser beam. Never lost so many missiles since 1.2.0. Even when hovering at low altitude (wind: 3m/s) the Launch Zone Circle is so much off center that i have to roll to the side to make the Circle go to the middle so I can shoot the missile. If I just use the rudder to move the circle to the middle the chance that the missile fails to find the laser beam increases drastically causing dump missiles.

Edited by Joe Johnson

Intel Core i5 750 @ 4 GHz, 8GB Ram, ATI Radeon 5800, Saitek X52 HOTAS & Pedals, TIR 5, Wondows 7 64bit

Actually, that happens in Su-25T, but I never miss missiles in BlackShark2 (DCS World).

I think in this version it depends upon wich rail the missile start from. ...
Yes! After your message, I understand it. Like you said, circle moves a side that next missile is ready to launch.

But, interesting; I wonder why this wasn't simulated before?

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5

Ok, I think I understand. :D

So, the missile launch circle is positioned to the left or right depending on which rail holds the "next missile" to be fired? What about the missile that was just fired? Does this impact whether the outgoing missile will suddenly lose the laser, or is it that once you get the LA for a missile and fire that it should retain the laser lock as long as you keep the nose of the BS pointed relatively straight regardless of where the missile launch circle has moved too (i.e. left or right)?

Just trying to get some clarity here...'thanks.

I think because the missiles are launched from the left then the right then the left, etc...

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

There has to be an error here!

The laser range launch circle on the head up display is IMHO behaving at complete odds with basic sighting practice of any weapon I have ever used (and I have use a great many, including laser ranged). It makes no sense at all that the launch circle should jump such a significant distance.

Consider this, the distance between the weapons pylons is not more than say the length of a truck (precise measure is not needed to make this point) and generally the distance at which a target is locked is many thousands of mtr away.

The length of a truck as see from many thousands of mtr away would not create a centering offset motion greater that a few millimetre in the head-up display so there would be absolutely no requirement for this display to be moved so far that every shot would require you to adjust the position of the helecopter.

If we are to belive that this is a true representation of the sighting mechanisim then all I can say is Russian technical expertese is not looking too good.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The relationship between the launch tube and the target is not the issue or the reason for this behaviour, the distance between the launch tube and the shkval is.

The missile must fly into the laser grid from the shkval on launch or it will not guide to the target. Remember the Vikhr is a beam rider, not a laser homing weapon, it has no knowledge of the target and as such the only thing that matters is the relationship between the missile and the shkval.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Hi Eddie,

I know that the missle is a "beam rider" and the sensor in the rear picks up the beam.... it aquires the beam because the tube is allready mounted with a leteral offset so that the missle will converge with the beam at a fairly precise distance in front of the helo, "CONVERGENCE" is a standard practice for this kind of system.

Ballistic convergence ..... the rocket when fired will leave the housing (tube) and be driven to maximum velocity by the rockets, the accelerating rocket will fly a precisely determinable path with or without guidance of any sort because at this point it behaves like a bullet from a barrel this is simply ballistics. Using this principle the rocket will intercept the laser grid (beaming from the front of the helo) because the rocket housing/tube is mounted with an offset from parallel (called tow) of just a couple of degrees. The intercept point, (rocket joins laser beam) is consistent and predictable as long as the laser guide beam is within the cone described on the HUD. From that point the rocket guidance kicks in and guides the rocket along the beam.

A simpler way of putting this might be to say ..... the rocket is fired like a bullet at a fixed point in front of the helo that the laser will always pass through.

Edited by OGREMAN
Clarification of the concept "ballistic convergence"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...Consider this, the distance between the weapons pylons is not more than say the length of a truck (precise measure is not needed to make this point) and generally the distance at which a target is locked is many thousands of mtr away.

The length of a truck as see from many thousands of mtr away would not create a centering offset motion greater that a few millimetre in the head-up display so there would be absolutely no requirement for this display to be moved so far that every shot would require you to adjust the position of the helecopter...

I understand and definitely agree with you.