LASER BOMB

cheap charlie

I'm having trouble following you.

Laser guided bombs are delivered much in the same way as unguided bombs. CCIP deliveries are visual and CCRP requires a SPI (generally TMS up long command with an appropriate sensor).

Only difference is that you need the laser firing at the target for the bomb to guide. Does that come anywhere near answering your question?

System specifications: Computer, joystick, DCS world, Beer

In case you are asking how to bomb a target that is directly beneath a waypoint (that´s how I understood your question), you just need to select the appropriate waypoint using either the STEER rocker at the UFC or CDU or by using the DMS switch (in order to use the DMS switch the HUD needs to be the SOI).

Once the waypoint is selected, you press China Hat Aft long. This will slave your TGP to the selected waypoint. Once you have found a target with your TGP and made it the SPI, you can press China Hat Forward long. This will slave everything to your SPI.

- Two miles of road lead nowhere, two miles of runway lead everywhere -

Click here for system specs

He is selecting his target on the TAD (map) and then slewing the targeting pod to look at it. The item on the TAD is already there as a waypoint, markpoint or even data from a JTAC or Wingman. The important thing, with regards to your question, is that the target point was set up prior to the starting point of the video.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

He was setting the SPI using the TAD which is over his target location. By doing so, he can then slave his TGP and MAV sensors to his SPI for quicker target identification. A waypoint can act as the SPI.

DCS: A10C Warthog JTAC coordinate entry training mission http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/99424/

DCS: Blackshark 2 interactive training missions http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=84612

take a look into my LGB Tutorial, to get further information check the wiki and the tutorial collection. From the wiki mainpage navigate to DCS Wolrd. From this point you´ll get access to all Modules and its information.

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

I have no problems selecting a target and taking it out as per the manual however I believe I can slew over to the target waypoint and select my target from there but I dont know how to do that, apart from manually tracking it and selecting a target that way

any Input appreciated

you need to map hotas function slew in the controller options. slew vertical and horizontal to be exact. for that you need a free POV. what is ur stick?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

you need to map hotas function slew in the controller options. slew vertical and horizontal to be exact. for that you need a free POV. what is ur stick?

Logitech extreme, Im using Nates profile and I have slew enabled. Just now I flew a mission in multiplayer and the targets were preset on the hud. When I switch on the targeting pod it seemed to lock on the targets automatically so this is what you guys are talking about when say it was preset?

edit. In that mission I was able to have the 2 white lines centered and watched the small circle slide down after the 20 sec count however the bombs did not release even though I was holding the release button

(scratching head)

MB I will have a look at the vids now

Edited by cheap charlie

edit. In that mission I was able to have the 2 white lines centered and watched the small circle slide down after the 20 sec count however the bombs did not release even though I was holding the release button

(scratching head)

you need to hold down the release button to release the bomb. I start holdinmg down the button aprox 7 secs before the pipper goes through the circle. The timer is only an information for the pilot that the calculated point will be reached in 20 seconds.

Once the laser is activated so it will be indicated by a flashing "L" on the Hud and the TGP. The time to impact will be displayed on the bottom right corner of the TGP

EDIT: make sure to activated the Laser after the Bomb has been released. I recommend a drop altitude of aprox 12.000 - 14.000 feet. It is also possible to drop from an even higher altitude. Between 12 and 14k feet I recommend a lasertime of 8 seconds..if you´re higher, set time to 12 seconds (Auto lase ON). The laser needs to set up in the LGB´s DSMS profile, also make sure that the lasercode is set correctly.

Important: Dont forget to deactivate the laser after the target was destroyed. Laseractivation = Nosesteerwheel button = "insert" key on Keyboard...good hunting ;)

Edited by MemphisBelle

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Ok.

Cheap Charlie, here's what's going on.

When you go online for example and play a mission, you will be given a series of waypoints to follow. Most missions are similar in this aspect.

So, instead of turning on your targeting pod and manually slewing the pod to the ground and then trying to find a target with it as you say you are already proficient in doing, there is another quicker way to do this.

You can move the targeting pod with a press of a button to the waypoint itself. So let's say I am heading to waypoint 3 and I know there are targets there.

I would "slave" my targeting pod to waypoint 3 first. This moves the camera to that waypoint and points you in the general area that you want.

From there you manually start to move the TGP until you find targets, and take them out as you have been doing.

This is exactly what he was doing in that video you posted.

Ok.

Cheap Charlie, here's what's going on.

When you go online for example and play a mission, you will be given a series of waypoints to follow. Most missions are similar in this aspect.

So, instead of turning on your targeting pod and manually slewing the pod to the ground and then trying to find a target with it as you say you are already proficient in doing, there is another quicker way to do this.

You can move the targeting pod with a press of a button to the waypoint itself. So let's say I am heading to waypoint 3 and I know there are targets there.

I would "slave" my targeting pod to waypoint 3 first. This moves the camera to that waypoint and points you in the general area that you want.

From there you manually start to move the TGP until you find targets, and take them out as you have been doing.

This is exactly what he was doing in that video you posted.

Bingo! This is what I what I wanted to say in my garbled question :thumbup:

Now if you can show me how to slave my pod to the waypoint I can then move on and resume killing bad peoples

you need to hold down the release button to release the bomb. I start holdinmg down the button aprox 7 secs before the pipper goes through the circle. The timer is only an information for the pilot that the calculated point will be reached in 20 seconds.

Once the laser is activated so it will be indicated by a flashing "L" on the Hud and the TGP. The time to impact will be displayed on the bottom right corner of the TGP

EDIT: make sure to activated the Laser after the Bomb has been released. I recommend a drop altitude of aprox 12.000 - 14.000 feet. It is also possible to drop from an even higher altitude. Between 12 and 14k feet I recommend a lasertime of 8 seconds..if you´re higher, set time to 12 seconds (Auto lase ON). The laser needs to set up in the LGB´s DSMS profile, also make sure that the lasercode is set correctly.

Important: Dont forget to deactivate the laser after the target was destroyed. Laseractivation = Nosesteerwheel button = "insert" key on Keyboard...good hunting ;)

Great thats the info I needed , I was running way to low and hitting release just above the cirlce and I also forgot to set the laser and deactivate

Love this forum and the willingness to help newbs

Edited by cheap charlie

Logitech extreme, Im using Nates profile and I have slew enabled. Just now I flew a mission in multiplayer and the targets were preset on the hud. When I switch on the targeting pod it seemed to lock on the targets automatically so this is what you guys are talking about when say it was preset?

(scratching head)

MB I will have a look at the vids now

You did have master arm to ON on AHCP, right?

If the little time circle slide down aligned with the PBIL, and just as TTRN reaches 1, there should be no X's on the circle (meaning you have to be right on top of the target for the solution to be valid).

Keep holding the tit before and after passing the zero mark.

check manual page:

377/672

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Now if you can show me how to slave my pod to the waypoint I can then move on and resume killing bad peoples

You can slave TGP to the steerpoint by China Hat Aft Long. Steerpoint is your next waypoint, coloured yellow. Other waypoints are green.

Normally, the automatic steerpoint advancement is enabled. So, if you pass the current steerpoint, the system automatically changes your steerpoint to the next waypoint. This may be a bit confusing if you for example circle around your target. You can disable the automatic steerpoint advancement from CDU Flight Plan Page (change from AUTO to MANUAL).

Edited by FreeFall
typos

Yep Charlie. It might be a bit hard at first but I'l try to dumb it down a bit.

So if you havent touched anything (Havent changed anything) and just turned on your targeting pod (TGP) and are lokign to start "slaving" stuff then this will happen:

1. Select the waypoint you want, this can be done one of two ways:

a. Make your HUD SOI by coolie hat up short, you will note that on the HUD on the left hand side a * will appear indicating that the HUD is now SOI (and both the left and right HUD will say "NOT SOI" at the bottom). Now press either DMS left or right short to scroll through the waypoints.

b. Just below the HUD is the UFC (up front controller) and to it's left hand side is the steer button, hit that sucker up or down to scroll through the waypoints.

Now, because you haven't touched anything else, the default SPI (Sensor Point of Interest) will be determined by which waypoint you selected. You can confirm if you have a SPI down by the wedding cake symbol on your map or TAD over the currently selected waypoint, let's say waypoint 3.

2. Press China hat forward long. This sequence will ALWAYS SLAVE YOUR SENSOR TO THE SPI. In this case, waypoint 3. You will see your targeting pod slave itself to waypoint 3.

Now, here is another side note. If you HAVE been messing around with stuff, like setting down a random SPI on the ground then even if you select waypoint 3 as your current waypoint and press China Hat For long, then your TGP will slave to the last SPI you set down. (You set a SPI down by pressing TMS up long, while looking through the TGP).

So if you ever run into the issue of trying to slave your camera to look at a waypoint and not some previous SPI that you might have set, then you need to use another command.

China Hat AFT Long will ALWAYS slave your sensor to the currently selected WAYPOINT and NOT SPI, regardless of whatever previous SPI you might have placed.

You can use this technique to slave your MAVERICKS to look at whatever the hell the TGP is looking at as well. This video I made a while back is kinda bad, but it does explain how to do it.

I gave you that very information all the way up in posting #3 already...

and I gave you credit " cookie I think you have answered my question.":thumbup:

Thanks everyone again for all the great tips, have flown again and can now slew to the waypoint and the mssing link was china hat aft as mentioned by nearly everyone.

Great thats the info I needed , I was running way to low and hitting release just above the cirlce and I also forgot to set the laser and deactivate

Love this forum and the willingness to help newbs

you´re welcome, glad that I could help...enjoy flying.

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

China Hat forward long...check the options for HOTAS key bindings

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

Can you overheat your laser if you leave it on too long ? I think you can in the Ka-50 .

I dont know...the flashing L simply annoys me :D

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

Somwhere someone* proved (even with the help of a formula he found in the web) that the laser in DCS Ka-50 can and will die after a the sum of lasing time during a flight reaches a curtain number. It was somthing like firing 16 Vikhrs and then lasing about 50-75 times for 3 seconds (as the laser does if you lase something).

* Dear someone, id you read this, I want to appologize that I forgot your name!

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled