Russian Air Force Photos and Video (NO DISCUSSION)

Flаnker

The low altitude flying is probably the best way to put the rounds where they need to be with less risk of hitting civilians in the process. We are talking about 30mm shells and rockets mostly. Also, their job is to guard the area around the airbase (which is particularly close to the front lines) to save the attack and fighter aircraft from being shot down while taking off and landing.

I would presume IS attacks near the base are surprise ones, so you can't send a Su-34 and wait for it to climb towards 4000m to drop a KAB-500, nor can you risk a Su-25 for a low-level strike since it would be a sitting duck when taking-off and making many passes to identify and attack the targets. A Mi-24 flight however can reach combat speeds faster and make a safer head-on pass at low altitude, acquiring the target and hitting it the first time around.

Mi-24 are most likely doing CAS on FSA troops while Su-34 are doing deep strike on IS. It's easy to check, they is no IS near Lakatia. they are FSA standing between them like the meat between two burger bread. Su-34 strikes on IS can be checked thru the videos and photos, they is the euphrate river and landmark - easy to check yourself when you know a little bit about navigation :D

No political positionning in this post, just my own verifications.

You are correct about that one :)

I've been doing some map reading on the situation, from the looks of it Latakia has together with FSA a strong Al-Nusra presence though. Considering the insane amount of trouble al-Qaeda has given the Middle East and the Western countries in the past two decades, I personally would never take its Syrian branch lightly despite the political situation. In those areas, everyone is either cooperating or coexisting, which allows for interpretation.

After all these years, personally I think whatever happens, happens as long as the region gets to see some stability and most importantly peace for the people living there.

I pulled this one from Google quickly, if you look at it the area near Latakia is shared by just about everyone imaginable (see city markers and most of the countryside marked as 'Rebel/Jihadi controlled'. I'm sure there are more veritable/accurate maps, but in all of them you see the same situation.

2000px-syria2-1.0.png

You are correct about that one :)

I've been doing some map reading on the situation, from the looks of it Latakia has together with FSA a strong Al-Nusra presence though. Considering the insane amount of trouble al-Qaeda has given the Middle East and the Western countries in the past two decades, I personally would never take its Syrian branch lightly despite the political situation. In those areas, everyone is either cooperating or coexisting, which allows for interpretation.

After all these years, personally I think whatever happens, happens as long as the region gets to see some stability and most importantly peace for the people living there.

I pulled this one from Google quickly, if you look at it the area near Latakia is shared by just about everyone imaginable (see city markers and most of the countryside marked as 'Rebel/Jihadi controlled'. I'm sure there are more veritable/accurate maps, but in all of them you see the same situation.

2000px-syria2-1.0.png

I have been looking at this myself recently too and most maps say the same thing. The only source of confusion is the fact you have some groups like 'The Army of Conquest', who contain Al-Nusra but also less radical rebels. The only good thing, is that the majority of the population is in the West, the East is mainly desert.

http://defense-update.com/20150716_syria_strategic_overview.html#.ViTC136rSUl

syrian_analysis062015725.jpg

Russian Map

0_140082_4067e5d2_orig

The Grey is ISIS.

The green "Al-Nusra".

Purple is Islamic Front.

The FSA is in the light blue.

Syrian Air Force, 2013, right?
Correct.

is there an expiration date to these things?
Erm, no? It's getting reposted around lately as being hailed as a Russian Mi-8 being hit when it's actually a Syrian Airforce Mi-8. I don't want people to be confused, especially when the title of this thread is Russian Air force photos and videos.
Edited by wilky510

How the hell did it keep flying? Surely the rotors/cockpit are most vulnerable..
Lucky i guess. MANPADs are very dangerous, but their warheads are very small. Depends on where it hits, it may looked like an engine hit, but it wasn't devastating enough to cause a major failure (aka lucky). Though, i'm not too sure on the FN-6 specifications. That could be a factor too.

I found a generic overview of the Mi-8's survivability. Although being hit by MANPADs and making it back is no rarity, type MANPAD damage in the Google image search and you get quite a few examples.

For surviving in battle field, the Mi-8s are equiped with crew cabin armour plating, explosive resistant foam filling in the fuel tanks, a fire-fighting system and duplicated and stand-by hydraulic and power systems and main control circuits.

Nice - in the video above, in the very last second or so, we can see that the drogue chute was actually disconnected from the plane. I always thought they would drag them all the way to parking. Guess not. :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Nice - in the video above, in the very last second or so, we can see that the drogue chute was actually disconnected from the plane. I always thought they would drag them all the way to parking. Guess not. :)

They have a special place to drop the chute and the ground crew collect them.

Playing: F-16C

Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB DDR5 @5600MHz, RTX 4080 ZOTAC Trinity, WIN 11 64Bit Prof.

Squadron "Serious Uglies" / Discord-Server: https://discord.gg/2WccwBh

Ghost0815

Thanks for that video, at mwd2! :)

That leads to another question - I noticed that some of the Russian runways have a big circle painted on them. Does that have anything to do with the drogue chute? Either releasing them when landing, or dropping them when taxiing?

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com