476th vFG, 76th vFS "Battle Book"

Eddie

After rereading and noticing the canopy cues it made things a hell of a lot easier. Now I just need to figure out how to visually acquire my target from 9,000ft when the ground textures are a blurry mess....

Black smoke is your friend. Destroy some targets from low, or use a maverick on ammo dump. the fireworks will set you free.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I guess having a fixed AOP doesn't really matter because your nose will be shifting up by speed build-up, and trimming can shift MRS.

Just one comment on that remark.

Yes it does matter: the IFFCC assumes a rectilinear flight path for CCIP. Meaning you have to fly your TVV on a fixed position while tracking (PBIL over the target). Any movement of the TVV means you're rotating which results in additional delivery errors.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • RAM 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1600
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

My TM Warthog Profile + Chart, F-15C EM Diagram Generator

Just one comment on that remark.

Yes it does matter: the IFFCC assumes a rectilinear flight path for CCIP. Meaning you have to fly your TVV on a fixed position while tracking (PBIL over the target). Any movement of the TVV means you're rotating which results in additional delivery errors.

I'm sorry I mis-phrased that. It DOES matter, but the focus on target being with DRC will let you lose concentration on TVV, which tends to move forward and not stick.

If I were to lichen (lol @ lichen, Liken, ehem) CCIP to a real life object, a compass tool (bow divider) would be the most likely candidate. the metal needle which you poke the paper with is the TVV, and the graphite is the CCIP reticle. The objective: simple, let the graphite reach the metal, but beware as graphite with metal means you're stabbed dead....

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

some progress

:cry:

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

:cry:

I'm trying eddie.

I have been trying myself and I have run into 3 difficulties:

1: getting up to the req'd speed in the Z-diagram with a loaded jet

2: getting the targets lined up on the canopy. Targets are not visible until roughly 2.5nm, smoke is barely visible at 4nm, which makes it a pain to get lined up.

3: Holding the jet steady in the dive. Going for a 30HA6 release I started in a 35* dive and ended somewhere around 30*, and barely got my bombs off in time; only 200ft to spare :no_sad:

1. That's why you don't load the jet up with excessively heavy/high drag payloads.

2. Use zoom to increase your visual acuity, and use terrain references to line up your target.

3. The dive should only last 3-5 seconds, if it doesn't look right on roll out, abort.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

I guess it was the 2 CBUs that killed my speed.

Something is off with my terrain graphics. Above 6,000 feet or so and 4+nm out the ground textures are so fuzzy I can't use any terrain references. I am running settings at medium, and tried bumping textures up to high with no results.

Edited by Nealius

I'm trying eddie.

Don't be too hard on yourself, these are ideal release parameters. You can still be effective without meeting them exactly. Also with the speed issue, I agree with not loading up on whatever fits. I normally take (depending on fuel requirements) 2 GBU's and 2 mavs, or if heavy armor 2 CBU 105/97 and 2 mav's. I'm not a fan of mav's and generally only take them if i'm going against sams, AAA can be taken out with bombs or guns. Also if you're having issues with speed (which I did when I first started) either start from a higher altitude then what you're going to using as your base run-in or take a lighter plane.

After they published their "battlebook" I found out (after trying a couple runs by the book) that what I was doing was pretty close to the parameters in the book. just don't over fly the targets (you can loft GBU-38's/105). Either use guns/mav's/loft/high altitude until you've taken care of the nasty AAA. It's much better to run light and RTB refuel/rearm then to fly a winnebago and not be able to maneuver, also fly completely empty and see hows it feel compared to the loads you've been taking.

Also since nobody else is offering, you can come over to http://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit and i'll run you through some things. I've been flying DCS since the beta of BS1 as well as a (real) pilot. Also remember this is a game nothing more.

Edited by wess24m
Grammer.

Speaking of lighter, more realistic loads, is it possible to edit loads in campaigns/missions without opening them up in the mission editor and saving them? The last time I tried editing the payload before flying a mission it wouldn't stick.

Don't be too hard on yourself, these are ideal release parameters. You can still be effective without meeting them exactly. Also with the speed issue, I agree with not loading up on whatever fits. I normally take (depending on fuel requirements) 2 GBU's and 2 mavs, or if heavy armor 2 CBU 105/97 and 2 mav's. I'm not a fan of mav's and generally only take them if i'm going against sams, AAA can be taken out with bombs or guns. Also if you're having issues with speed (which I did when I first started) either start from a higher altitude then what you're going to using as your base run-in or take a lighter plane.

After they published their "battlebook" I found out (after trying a couple runs by the book) that what I was doing was pretty close to the parameters in the book. just don't over fly the targets (you can loft GBU-38's/105). Either use guns/mav's/loft/high altitude until you've taken care of the nasty AAA. It's much better to run light and RTB refuel/rearm then to fly a winnebago and not be able to maneuver, also fly completely empty and see hows it feel compared to the loads you've been taking.

Also since nobody else is offering, you can come over to http://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit and i'll run you through some things. I've been flying DCS since the beta of BS1 as well as a (real) pilot. Also remember this is a game nothing more.

You know the hardest part? Pulling (and maintaining for that matter) those 3 G's... Even the windshield wiper effect as you roll out.. Maybe it is not my thing this CCIP... Maybe its designed to get rid of the old and elderly bombs.... I should treat it like taking a dump on targets, nothing special maybe..

You know the hardest part? Pulling (and maintaining for that matter) those 3 G's... Even the windshield wiper effect as you roll out.. Maybe it is not my thing this CCIP... Maybe its designed to get rid of the old and elderly bombs.... I should treat it like taking a dump on targets, nothing special maybe..

As long as you can get the thing on the thing, and not make the ballistic computer work so hard (IE following a solution triangle) it will work. I almost never use dumb bombs because if you have something better and you're restricted by real world inventory then use the best.

As for the 4g pull up to 30 degrees, if you go a little under or over at least you're thinking about your escape maneuver. Just fly around in free flight with no bombs on and practice doing your escape maneuvers without having to stare at the G indicator, soon you'll know about how much to pull the stick at a certain given airspeed, the rest takes care of itself, baby steps. I see a lot of guys that have never been taught and have bad habits that they've been lucky with but it's not the most effective way to do things. bad habits are hard to break.

Another thing I see a lot of people doing is not using the rudder, despite the fact that the sim (and real aircraft) have stability augmentation assistance, that doesn't mean when you initiate a 90 degree high speed bank that it has the ability to compensate, you have to help it out some. Also you can be aggressive and firm with your maneuvers without jerking the stick around (not saying you do this), remember the quickest way to turn an aircraft is when you have 100% wing lift available for the turn.

Guilty of not using the rudder. Twisting the joystick gets real tiring on the wrist and rudder pedals are overpriced.

I used the x52pro for years, needless to say I didn't use the rudder as much as I should have either. Simming is a investment I admit, you can get a set of pedals for $120-130 though, makes a big difference. It wasn't an option for me once I got the TM warthog because I fly the shark also.

Merged:

not having a rudder is a big immersion killer...

@ wess, believe me, today I lifted the stick base from the maneuvers... that should tell you I'm doing it totally wrong :D

EDIT:

I've created a practice miz for 45 degree dives. Audio cues for rolls, release, and base distance work, but I need feedback on it and my flying. I think planning generally helps with getting close to the right spot (for newbs like me), that right 'wire' if you will.

Please dont edit the mission in editor, if you want the base range let me know.

Merged:

@ wess, believe me, today I lifted the stick base from the maneuvers... that should tell you I'm doing it totally wrong :D

EDIT:

I've created a practice miz for 45 degree dives. Audio cues for rolls, release, and base distance work, but I need feedback on it and my flying. I think planning generally helps with getting close to the right spot (for newbs like me), that right 'wire' if you will.

Please dont edit the mission in editor, if you want the base range let me know.

If you want to execute textbook delivery like in the "book" then practise getting a eye for range to target using canopy cues. set a target up and set a steerpoint on it (so it's at a known range), then when its at the "correct" range with it on your 3/9 just see where it's at in relation to your canopy.

Since the AI has super human response time, doing a 90 degree turn into target at close range isn't helping you much. The only advantage it's giving you is with AAA because you're changing your flight vector and making it hard to predict where to fire in front of you. One thing I remember from watching your video is that you're not being very aggressive when turning in, this is a fighter plane and you're not going to break off the wings doing a 4-5 G turn (unless you're going way too fast). You can turn in half the time/distance that you did in your video. If you watch the video demonstrating how to do this you'll notice he is aggressive in his turns and doesn't waste time in a 30 degree bank.

If you perform a high G turn with a nose low attitude you're not hurting you airspeed or energy as much as your slow turn-in.

Merged:

To each his own...I personally find a home-cockpit, or even just extracted MFDs, to be an immersion killer. At best it would make me feel like I am in a military-grade simulator. And that's only if the thing has a 360-degree view.

If you want to execute textbook delivery like in the "book" then practise getting a eye for range to target using canopy cues. set a target up and set a steerpoint on it (so it's at a known range), then when its at the "correct" range with it on your 3/9 just see where it's at in relation to your canopy.

Since the AI has super human response time, doing a 90 degree turn into target at close range isn't helping you much. The only advantage it's giving you is with AAA because you're changing your flight vector and making it hard to predict where to fire in front of you. One thing I remember from watching your video is that you're not being very aggressive when turning in, this is a fighter plane and you're not going to break off the wings doing a 4-5 G turn (unless you're going way too fast). You can turn in half the time/distance that you did in your video. If you watch the video demonstrating how to do this you'll notice he is aggressive in his turns and doesn't waste time in a 30 degree bank.

If you perform a high G turn with a nose low attitude you're not hurting you airspeed or energy as much as your slow turn-in.

Can you look at this one and tell me why am I always not pointing at the runway threshold (AOP) at the correct tracking altitude (7000) according to Eddie's DAPS.

the mission itself is attached to this reply, as well as the track (DO NOT EDIT OR OPEN WITH EDITOR!!! JUST CLICK ON IT AND FLY STRAIGHT OUT)

To each his own...I personally find a home-cockpit, or even just extracted MFDs, to be an immersion killer. At best it would make me feel like I am in a military-grade simulator. And that's only if the thing has a 360-degree view.

Did you try the Cub3?

This is tough. I tried the 82 30DB2 delivery and couldn't seem to get it. For the most part I was close to if not exactly the req'd 280kts @ 5100 feet, rolling in on the target from my 10-2 area (not really 3/9) with a ~4G pull. I also put all the profile info into the DSMS. I made a markpoint on the target so I could try 1.2nm out, but at 5100' and 1.2nm out the target is below my canopy frame and thus not visible, and the dive came out to be more like 45* instead of 30*.

So using the second rivet from the bottom of the canopy frame I was able to establish a 30* dive onto the target. However my track time was always too long and weapons release before 2800' was practically impossible. When I passed through 2800' my piper was still a good 300 feet short of the target.

I also have this annoying X through my CCIP pipper that won't go away...

hgX6Vv4.jpg

Edited by Nealius

This is tough. I tried the 82 30DB2 delivery and couldn't seem to get it. For the most part I was close to if not exactly the req'd 280kts @ 5100 feet, rolling in on the target from my 10-2 area (not really 3/9) with a ~4G pull. I also put all the profile info into the DSMS. I made a markpoint on the target so I could try 1.2nm out, but at 5100' and 1.2nm out the target is below my canopy frame and thus not visible, and the dive came out to be more like 45* instead of 30*.

So using the second rivet from the bottom of the canopy frame I was able to establish a 30* dive onto the target. However my track time was always too long and weapons release before 2800' was practically impossible. When I passed through 2800' my piper was still a good 300 feet short of the target.

I also have this annoying X through my CCIP pipper that won't go away...

hgX6Vv4.jpg

post your mission here cuz I want to try it.

I'll post a track tomorrow. Notice where your DTOF line is, well below your target. If you want to keep your DTOF close to inputted value keep that tic mark on the target. Also your minimum escape altitude staple is in the dirt.