Bullets Ricochet on Water!?

BiBa

Here is a document Done by the French Air force on Ricochet risks. This was done based on the Defa 30mm as fitted to the Mirage III includes both Terrain and water. Annotations and highlights are mine.

Thanks a lot for the input Ivan.

Again out of this military document Ivan provided us, most ricochets take place in an angle between 0 - 15°.

BiBa...............BigBang

WIN 11-64 Pro. MoBo: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING. SSD: LEXAR 790 4TB. CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K. GPU: MANLI RTX 2080 Ti. RAM: HyperX 3200 MHz 64 GB. Monitor: ASUS 4K 28"/VR: Pimax 4K/TrackIR-5/SAITEK X55-Yoke-Rudder-Trim Wheel.

You're twisting things upside down! You take one sentence out of the context and delete the core of the call, so again:

The food of thought behind my thread in the first place was to spare the Graphic-card any redundant calculation that can be rather applied, there where badly needed...

No, it wasn't.

You were complaining about a graphical effect that has ZERO impact in this area.

You claimed it was factually incorrect.

Then people who, as a PROFESSION, have been in the relevant situation told you that you were wrong.

You ignored this.

Rather, you required that the people who said you were wrong should supply YOU with evidence. This doesn't work.

Now, by this time in the thread, you have already been exposed to the relevant information you need to reach a conclusion.

Go ahead. DO THE MATH. You know, that thing you should have done BEFORE you stated as fact that bullets don't bounce on water - something everyone that has done service in the navy knows that yeah... they do!

There are no "superfluous effects" here. Indeed, when you discussed the issue of calculating this, you expressed doubt that DCS did that. Which it doesn't, in this case.

So, Biba:

Express your complain clearly: WHAT, EXACTLY, is wrong?

And no sidetracks that anyone that read the earlier parts of the thread can disprove, please.

EDIT:

As a reminder, this was your complaint:

Isn't weird to see bullets ricochet on water? We heard Jesus walked on water, so maybe the water is holy and Jesus is in the Cockpit!? :music_whistling:

The Programmers have done a pretty good job in simulating the white mushroom effect when bullets are bouncing on water, which is quite different from those which bounce on the ground with its appropriate ricochets. So if the simulation recognize the difference between hard and liquid surfaces, they only have to delete this beautiful ricochet effect on water, by just deleting this algorithm out of equation. Really no extra work!

The advantage out of it is that the Graphic-Card has less calculation to fulfill, which is at the same time a relief of strain to the CPU. So For the sake of total reality, think about in the next Update :smartass:

It's just wrong.

Let's take this:

"The advantage out of it is that the Graphic-Card has less calculation to fulfill"

The GPU doesn't have the slightest clue about bullets. Literally. Whatever you do in this context, the GPU doesn't care. It does exactly ZERO of the associated calculations. Why? Because it's a GRAPHICS PROCESSING UNIT! ;)

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

You claimed it was factually incorrect:

BiBa:

Isn't weird to see bullets ricochet on water? We heard Jesus walked on water, so maybe the water is holy and Jesus is in the Cockpit!?

This was a rhetorical way of an approach with a question mark packed with spiritual polemic, which can be understood in both ways, (a stereotyped that serves the purpose of motivation) but you can't corner this statement as an assertion of mine claiming it was factually incorrect. Ask for fun any lawyer if you can use it your way as an evidence even before any court of law. You won't find one single sentence of mine claiming it was factually incorrect! (I also have a master in Mass Media psychology and linguistic, and I LOVE testing new strategies of approach) In fact already on page one, in my first reply I granted the fact that it does take place in a 10° margin and later, and in my second reply I finally cited the late quotation that the ricochets I'm talking about are happening in DCS at an angle > 30°! . With it your question: "WHAT, EXACTLY, is wrong?" is hopefully answered. OK, I should have done that in the first place! Shock and awe! But it worked. Based on this premise, the other allegations become irrelevant and are overruled your highness.

The GPU doesn't have the slightest clue about bullets. Literally. Whatever you do in this context, the GPU doesn't care. It does exactly ZERO of the associated calculations. Why? Because it's a GRAPHICS PROCESSING UNIT! ;)

Well I didn't know that. I really meant to help by slimming down superfluous effects that are not totally realistic! (because I was frustrated with the latest 1.2.5 Update that caused me and others Framerate stuttering and crashes) Its as simple as that. Look at it the positive way: it did bring us new insight of knowledge on that topic. That's the kind of uplift that makes out of the DCS Forum a sophisticated one!

Edited by Biba

WIN 11-64 Pro. MoBo: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING. SSD: LEXAR 790 4TB. CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K. GPU: MANLI RTX 2080 Ti. RAM: HyperX 3200 MHz 64 GB. Monitor: ASUS 4K 28"/VR: Pimax 4K/TrackIR-5/SAITEK X55-Yoke-Rudder-Trim Wheel.

Apples & Oranges...:music_whistling:

This was a rhetorical way of an approach with a question mark packed with spiritual polemic, which can be understood in both ways, (a stereotyped that serves the purpose of motivation) but you can't corner this statement as an assertion of mine claiming it was factually incorrect. Ask for fun any lawyer if you can use it your way as an evidence even before any court of law. You won't find one single sentence of mine claiming it was factually incorrect! (I also have a master in Mass Media psychology and linguistic, and I LOVE testing new strategies of approach) In fact already on page one, in the fourth reply I granted the fact that it does take place in a 10° margin and later, and in the eights reply I finally cited the late quotation that the ricochets I'm talking about are happening in DCS at an angle > 30°! . With it your question: "WHAT, EXACTLY, is wrong?" is hopefully answered. OK, I should have done that in the first place! Shock and awe! But it worked. Based on this premise, the other allegations becomes irrelevant and are overruled your highness.

Well I didn't know that. I really meant to help by slimming down superfluous effects that are not totally realistic! Its as simple as that. Look at it the positive way: it did bring us new insight of knowledge on that topic. That's the kind of uplift that makes out of the DCS Forum a sophisticated one!

[/Table]

Recruiting for Aerobatic Team/Fighter Group...

Apples & Oranges...:music_whistling:

Your luck I'm vegetarian, but I prefer pineapple :D

...I also have a master in Mass Media psychology and linguistic, and I LOVE testing new strategies of approach...

I'd file this approach in the "Needs Improvement" section.

However, to glean some positive energy from your original inquiry... I do see your point about the arrival angle of the rounds and I agree there would be a declining chance of ricochet off of water as that angle increased. I think most agree. That being said, I'm not sure there are very significant or worthwhile gains to the product/experience/community by devoting much time at this juncture altering that specific behavior and like you saw from your search, it has been discussed before.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

Your luck I'm vegetarian, but I prefer pineapple :D

Thats the problem identified , your obviously lacking, eat a steak, or a lamb chop, you may even find your thought patterns are adjusted back to normal. So all i can really say after reading this thread is that you need a quiet and gentle pat on the cranium.:D

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

I'd file this approach in the "Needs Improvement" section.

However, to glean some positive energy from your original inquiry... I do see your point about the arrival angle of the rounds and I agree there would be a declining chance of ricochet off of water as that angle increased. I think most agree. That being said, I'm not sure there are very significant or worthwhile gains to the product/experience/community by devoting much time at this juncture altering that specific behavior and like you saw from your search, it has been discussed before.

Thanks for your clearing insight... Yet compared with the other ricochet Threads, there is indeed a small gain, as it did corner the right Bullet's angle of approach. Also the Ricochet's deflection springs up 45° off the water, whereas it should be a lot flatter.

It was simply a harmless effort for a better Realism and its funny how other made out of it a state affair! As a Sim-User, I adore DCS for its realism and all sort of "Productive Wishes" that help improving that, are in my opinion a boon for ED.

Thats the problem identified , your obviously lacking, eat a steak, or a lamb chop, you may even find your thought patterns are adjusted back to normal. So all i can really say after reading this thread is that you need a quiet and gentle pat on the cranium.:D

This is the "DCS Wishlist" Forum and NOT the "Bugs and Problems" Forum where you can get really fussy! Every user is FREE to wish whatever he likes and should be accordingly treated with respect!

The reason why a lot of wise guys gets palpably funny is that as Babies, they've been continuously spanked... Next time I'll visit my Brother in Australia, I may try Kangaroo steak and avoid hopping around under the sun, because its seems sunstrokes on the cranium there are turning people to gooders who thinks they're the real wiseguys and anybody else who's different is not normal.

I think with it this Thread came to a close up.

Edited by Biba

This is the "DCS Wishlist" Forum and NOT the "Bugs and Problems" Forum where you can get really fussy! Every user is FREE to wish whatever he likes and should be accordingly treated with respect!

I would hate for all of these pages to go by with you still misunderstanding the reaction you received and why.

It seems you got in return the level respect you offered from the start.

Originally Posted by AlphaOneSix View Post

Well, bullets *do* ricochet off water...

The rest may only happens in your dreams with a little bit magic...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

I would hate for all of these pages to go by with you still misunderstanding the reaction you received and why.

It seems you got in return the level respect you offered from the start.

Originally Posted by AlphaOneSix View Post

Well, bullets *do* ricochet off water...

Biba is a theorist

the•o•rist (ˈθi ər ɪst, ˈθɪər-)

n.

1. a person who theorizes.

2. a person who deals mainly with the theory of a subject.

[/Table]

Recruiting for Aerobatic Team/Fighter Group...

DD, it means tangible. Palpablevis a medical term means the verb to feel. :)

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Offcourse people should be threated with respect. And i think they did. But it's not even about the wish you put in. But about how you brought it to our attention. Maybe with all the skills you have you should also try communication skills. (I should probably do that as well. And a cople of extra English lessons would do me good as well.)

Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer.

The reason why a lot of wise guys gets palpably funny is that as Babies, they've been continuously spanked... Next time I'll visit my Brother in Australia, I may try Kangaroo steak and avoid hopping around under the sun, because its seems sunstrokes on the cranium there are turning people to gooders who thinks they're the real wiseguys and anybody else who's different is not normal.

I think with it this Thread came to a close up.

Biba I wasn't going to post in answer to you, but because you have threatened to eat one of the animals on my country's Coat of Arms ( yes we do shoot them ) and refer to your brother who apparently is down here, who, if he was down here long enough would understand concepts like sarcasm, humour and things like “tongue in cheek”.

I think I need to let you in on a very old and very English tradition when writing and speaking in “English” because your obviously having a lot of trouble trying to answer or make a point in cognisant English, not the version your putting up here in this post.

Firstly, its a must that you have a sense of humour when considering to post. You should also have a thick skin and having a fragile disposition is not encouraged.

Secondly, if your going to write something dont use Google to translate for you, or you will find yourself in this similar situation most times.

Thirdly, Sunshine is very good for you and provides lots of benefits like Vitamin D its essential for strong bones, muscles and good health.

And lastly, you need to listen too, and understand when people who have real life, practical, first hand knowledge on certain subjects make comment. As to being able to deflect anything off water it is very possible, another example was the “Bouncing Bomb” designed by Barnes Wallis to bounce off water and destroy dam walls in the Ruhr Valley during WW2.:thumbup:

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE