Moving the pilot UP!

Hi all,

Is there any way to move the POV for the pilot up?

Somewhere in the thread on Su25 real life deployment it was mentioned that the real pilot Su25 has an excellent view around & over the nose, but it's not so great in the game.

I figure raising the pilot would at least make up for not being able to lean over & look over the side.

I had a look in snapviews.cfg & views.cfg but didn't see anything that looked likely to me..

It might make the cockpit look odd & throw out the aiming oint on the HUD, but I think it would be worth a try.

Anybody done this - can it be done ?

ps: tried searching but "moving", "pilot", & "up" seem to appear in every single thread ever posted :-)

Cheers.

• ED Team

Hm, really? I thought i read that it was implented for all the aircraft, but it was optional, whether or not you wanted 6dof in all the jets, cause it will look very very weird since the cockpits of the jets are not created for use with 6DOF... You'll have all these weird graphical glithes while using it..

I may be wrong though.

i really want the pilots POV moved up too, they dont seem real and situational awareness is enhanced by being higher.

seat height in RL aircraft is adjustable.

the view from the frog seat feels too low but im sure ED got it right.

also F-15 and A-10 has a 2 stage airbrake that isnt modeled :( in RL they have around 30-50% to 100% airbrakes for different situations.

Hm, really? I thought i read that it was implented for all the aircraft, but it was optional, whether or not you wanted 6dof in all the jets, cause it will look very very weird since the cockpits of the jets are not created for use with 6DOF... You'll have all these weird graphical glithes while using it..

I may be wrong though.

No no, It Being Bloody Weird is the reason given for not making it an option for the other jets ;)

You need a fully 3D modelled cockpit, otherwise it's . . . . . yeah, weird :p

Regarding A-10 airbrake and Su-25 views . . . . . cross your fingers for Tank Killers, I think.

I seem to recall you can change the pilots viewing position in one of the config files. I'm sure i saw a thread about this long long time ago somewhere.

You can change the cockpit position in the 3D model of the aircraft - might that be what you saw?

Doesn't change the position of the view in the cockpit, unfortunately.

Not sure what more you can do . . . .

also F-15 and A-10 has a 2 stage airbrake that isnt modeled :( in RL they have around 30-50% to 100% airbrakes for different situations.

There are no pre-set airbrake postions on the A-10, there are for the flaps but, not for the speedbrakes. BTW they are called decelarons on the A-10.

Ugly but well hung!

Weird... yep, but still i'd prefer to have 6DOF option for the old cockpits, maybe hidden somewhere in config files, in order not to shock the end-user class of gamers )))

The old cockpits are not "fully" 3d designed cockpits,so it's a 2d image from one point.If they want to implement 6DOF to the current flyables,they have to redesign all the cockpits.

Regardless of the RL views, I don't think an SU25 pilot has a good viewing field at all.. ;=)

Forward view is actualy quite good, also in Lock On. Just keep in mind to carry only small weapon loads, this keeps the AOA low and provides a surprisingly good downwards view.

But of course forward view would be even better if you could strech your neck those few inches. But I guess that has to wait till Tank Killers :)

To increase the view over the nose while loaded with weapons - do you ever just extend the flaps?

Is that an in game standard practice?

I do if I'm below 500 - 600km/h. If using laser guided weapons, lock, adjust, then withdraw the flaps.

Cheers.

Anyone else here with a strong déjà vu? Subsitute Su-25 with FW-190 and you get a classic Il2 topic :D

Viewpoints in sims have traditionally been put a bit lower than where the head is in real life, for the simple reason that this makes it easier to keep the main instruments in view. Only now with TrackIR is it a practical option for people to quickly glance down on the instruments and MFDs. 6DOF should make this even easier.

Remember Jane's Longbow II? (ok rhetorical question...) The 2D view was also very low, while the 3D virtual cockpit was placed in a realistic position:

longbow5a.jpglongbow6a.jpg

The 3D view was very immersive, but not really practical unfortunately.

Not sure what the latest word is about 6DOF for the "old" planes in 1.2, but I don't think it will be very useful even if it's enabled - seeing gaps in the cockpit, texture misalignments and the HUD at the wrong place will probably make this rather unlpeasant.

Caretaker

ED Beta Test Team