MI8 - what's the verdict ?

W1ndy

i flew a few hours now... what i have are some small problems with the AP... but its more on my side, not an issue on the side of Belsimtek i think ;)

I think the biggest help is to avoid thinking of the system as an AP and more as a flight stabilization assistant. More a part of the trimming function then auto-pilot.

I've also found that at times it really helps to "clear" the accumulated corrections that have built up. There are some good docs out there on how to best use the system too.

I wasnt planning on getting this chopper, but then it went on sale and now Im really glad I did. Its very differnent from the Huey and I think it will take some time to master. Its slow though, very slow. Tried pushing the collective to the max and it simply wont go faster than 220-230kph. It is very stable at speed though, there are no noticable vibrations unless you decide to take it for a dive and pick up more speed :)

Its slow though, very slow. Tried pushing the collective to the max and it simply wont go faster than 220-230kph.

No? I usually find myself at 250 km/h very quickly if I don't pay attention to my speed and I am not even close to using full collective. I was mostly flying on multiplayer servers where the provided helos aren't fueled up to the gills though.

It's faster than the Huey in any case.

Edited by Luzifer

Edited by SilentSierra

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B650E-E MEM: Kingston FURY Renegade 64GB DDR5 5200MHz SSD: Kingstone Fury Renegade NVME PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD 4TB GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC CASE: Cooler Master TD500 Mesh WATER COOLER: Cooler Master Master Liquid ML360 Illusion HT: TrackIR 5 VR: HP Reverb G2 V2 HOTAS: TM HOTAS Warthog RUDDER: TPR Rudder Pedals GRIP: TM F/A-18C GRIP WHEELS: Logitech G27 OS: Win 11 Pro SIMS: DCS World, Falcon BMS, IL-2 Sturmovik, MSFS2020, Arma 3, Assetto Corsa.

No? I usually find myself at 250 km/h very quickly if I don't pay attention to my speed and I am not even close to using full collective. I was mostly flying on multiplayer servers where the provided helos aren't fueled up to the gills though.

It's faster than the Huey in any case.

How is it faster than the Huey, I can reach 140 knots in the Huey but somehow I cant get past 230km/h in the Hip. So far Ive done the free flight missions, and have tried pushing the helicopter to its limits. Could it be an autopilot thing?

When I reach that speed in a huey it shakes likes its about to explode. The Mi-8 is smooth at higher speeds and I think its way faster than huey too.;)

Thanks lorenzoj

Edited by Cibit

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

When I reach that speed in a huey it shakes likes its about to explode.

That may be because, according to Bell/Textron, the max speed is 135. :P

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

My question is: Will the DCS support the multicrew MP, load/unload with troops/vehicles animations and crane heavy cargo feature?

I think this and the Huey will be in beta until they do. ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Well, speed wise, 135 knots is 250 kph :music_whistling: So it would appear they have the same top speed?

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

Well, it appears that the top speed of the Mi-8 is about 260 or 250 kph depending which site you go to. As previously stated earlier in this thread, top speed of Huey is about 135 knots, so they are so close that essentually they are the same::)

Edited by Rocky49

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

North amercian a/c speeds are generally stated in knots

How is it faster than the Huey, I can reach 140 knots in the Huey but somehow I cant get past 230km/h in the Hip. So far Ive done the free flight missions, and have tried pushing the helicopter to its limits. Could it be an autopilot thing?

I don't know. I can go 280 km/h at sea level without shaking and without full collective. Autopilot active except for altitude hold.

attachment.php?attachmentid=88429&stc=1&d=1379986290

Screen_130924_011730.thumb.jpg.6c6e2f4befa049afbd68d0a2f23ca383.jpg

If that is the case then 135 mph equals 217 kph

I never believed I would enjoy to fly M-8 that much, Its like those old cars with soft suspension.

I agree to the fullest!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 6700K @ 4.2, MSI M5 Z170A Gaming, NZXT X61 Kraken liquid cooler, PNY Nvidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 Mhz C15, samsung 840 evo SSD, CoolerMaster 1000W Gold rated PSU, NZXT Noctis 450 cabinet, Samsung S240SW 24' 1920x1200 LED panel, X-52 Pro Flight stick. W10 Pro x64 1809, NO antivirus EVER

I am retarded. The Mi-8 can indeed hit speeds of 260kph, for some reason I was reading this out as 230 kph, I dont know why, but major :doh: here.

So it seems that the two are indeed very close in speeds, except that the Huey shakes almost uncontrollably at these speeds and feels like its going to burn out its engine at any second and the Mi-8 is as smooth as silk.

Faulty flight dynamics or seriously impressive soviet aeronautical engineering?

@A16 :

Okay but the Mi-8 is larger than the Huey isn't it ? so, considering the blade chords are even only 1cm less, as the ship is larger ... it looks like thin blades... like the Hughes 500D 5 blade rotor system, which as also very thin blades... like the Hughes 300 etc etc ... I'm not an aeronautic engineer at all, but I realised a while ago that generally, the more blade, the thinner ... ( in respect of global rotor size of course )

Take the Bell 214 ... then the Hughes 500 :doh:

Are you talking about chord length? If you are, then you are right. In aerodynamically terms;

L = (1/2) d v2 s CL

Lets consider equal density (d), equal lift coefficient (CL).

v, velocity, for simplicity lets consider RRPM in this case, is more or less the same.

Lets take a look at s factor. Wing area. Lets say that the wing area is constant. If you have more blades they will look thinner, because they can be for the same Lift (L). Lets say you have s = 8m2, if you have two blades, the s of each blade will be 4 m2 now if you have 4 blades, each blade will have 2 m2. So they will in fact be "thinner", assuming the blades have the same length.

For example; Bell 212 and Bell 412.

Hope you understand it correctly, if for any reason I am wrong please correct me.

Best regards.

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits