Quick beginner taildragger tips for dogfighting!

WildBillKelsoe

Thank you guys for this clarification :thumbup: Always something to learn.

If you're already at max RPM & max MAP, that's the best thing to do for speed, whether climbing, level, or diving. (Engine heat's another story, of course.)

Other thing i learned the other day about engine heat:

Was surprised that hitting radiator open button didn't cooled my engine...and in fact was even worst!

What i didn't know is in fact, there is a spring on that button that make it come back to CLOSE as soon as you release the OPEN button. So i have to HOLD the OPEN button for at least 20 seconds to fully open the radiator! Then temperature is really dropping fast even full RPM and full manifold and even low levels flight where the engine heat the most :)

Same goes for the oil temperature and oil radiator...

Reading carefully this stunning manual that comes with the module is really helpful too! :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3- Flaps.. Flaps.. Flaps:

Whenever saddled, use the flaps on established (fixed) stick pull to raise the nose gently without suffering buffeting. It is the essence of energy fighting.

Please elaborate on this one. Do you mean to lower the flaps when saddled? Why would I do that? :(

Thanks,

Sabre.

Edited by Sabre

Finally managed to kill my first AI in 1VS1...pfff...took me long!

I realised i had curves mapped to my joystick (didn't remember that!) and deleting them gave me more precision and fast responses...stupid me.

Hehe, I've found the same heritage from the previous profile, good tip here.

Sabre.

• 2 weeks later...
I force the Fw-190 into a turn fight i turn flaps to 15 or 20 and just cruse around, this helps a lot.

Because i fight at low speeds.. around 150-200 or lower depending on how bad the situation is. this leads me to putting the flaps down..

You don't need to pull hard on the stick, which means less stalling because of less G's. This also gives me the ability to keep the fight out of energy. Because of the low speeds at ground level. In fact about 1 out of 3 times the AI crashes because it can't turn and evade me at low speeds like i can in the 51. so it trys to go up and stalls out, and thats it.

Eli'Jah

So you're using it like a Zero. Great, this will work until you either meet a good pilot or they start adding something that is actually a turnfighter.

:D

Because i fight at low speeds.. around 150-200 or lower depending on how bad the situation is. this leads me to putting the flaps down..

What you will find that flying slow with flaps down, can be matched with flying fast with flaps up - IOW same rate of turn. The advantage being with the faster a/c, as it can climb faster or just 'beam away' from contact.

So you're using it like a Zero. Great, this will work until you either meet a good pilot or they start adding something that is actually a turnfighter.

:D

Yea till they add a Spitifre in 1944 i'll only be flying the Mk Ix LF E, so i can turn.

I turn because i am useless at energy fighting, mainly the gunnery of it. the other thing u can do once saddeled is to slow down really quick. Ie drop flaps, cut engine to idle. they overshoot and it's back to getting on them.

Although u have lost a lot of energy, it does work.

Yob

487th Squadron

Section Leader

I turn because i am useless at energy fighting, mainly the gunnery of it. the other thing u can do once saddeled is to slow down really quick. Ie drop flaps, cut engine to idle. they overshoot and it's back to getting on them.

Although u have lost a lot of energy, it does work.

I think most pilots naturally prefer the turn fight in DCS since it's comforting to get the enemy ahead of you and keep him there. It's very easy to lose visual during a fight and we know how costly that can be. Another reason for this tactic is the fact that it is very difficult to destroy an AI aircraft with a high deflection shot. (However they can take you out with a single BB) It usually takes a few tries to kill the AI if not saddled. The easiest way to disable AI is to pour a lot of concentrated rounds on the aircraft. (This can still be done energy fighting, as long as the adversary cooperates ie a long climb)

Where slow turn fighting really becomes troublesome is when you are faced with multiple bandits. It WILL get you killed if you don't get that energy back. The AI may be poor at countering slow turns but humans will find a way, especially if they are working together.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

Also from what I've seen from the AI it behaves pretty weird. In some scenarios it will fly the plane to the edge and use a set of very smart moves and in some other scenarios it'll fly in a completely stupid way.

This is what very rarely happens facing a human pilot. They don't act like a complete idiot because function void GunsDefense() {...} is not found by the compiler.

This is what very rarely happens facing a human pilot. They don't act like a complete idiot because function void GunsDefense() {...} is not found by the compiler.

Haha True, although I have seen some pretty wacky stuff occur when a human pilot sees you on his six. :) The AI is very good in my opinion but ultimately quite predictable. After a while you know what mistakes you can get away with and what ones will get you shot. It's not so straight forward with the organic variety opponent.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

• 1 month later...

Engine Management

Once you start your plane, open the Cowling full way open, this does affect your ability's. In particular speed, but it means you are much less likely to overheat.

One thing i have found in multiplayer is if you can keep your engine running as long as possible, the opponent will usually lose his engine before you.

Also consistently adjusting your throttle will protect you from overshooting, but reducing power in dives and decrease rpm during dives also help temps....

Well i have found that anyway.

Cheers

487th Squadron

Section Leader