Is there anyway to dial back the smoke when thr guns fire? Looks ridiculous!

Mysticpuma

This effect isn't even true particles, it's made up of a cluster of sprites locked into pre-animated paths and attached to an invisible object which hangs onto the gun barrel, until it stops firing.

Every time you start firing another one of these 'smoke objects' will be spawned.

You can tell that the 'particles' have been pre-animated when you slow the time value down to 0.05 or so - the individual frames of the animation will be jarringly noticeable at this speed.

So it's no wonder they don't obey physics in the game: they're obeying a predefined path. This is the case for many of ED's older effects, including most of the explosions.

• ED Team

Which is why I said it may have to wait till EDGE to be properly fixed, that said they might tweak it for now... either way, its reported as I said above.

This effect isn't even true particles, it's made up of a cluster of sprites locked into pre-animated paths and attached to an invisible object which hangs onto the gun barrel, until it stops firing.

Every time you start firing another one of these 'smoke objects' will be spawned.

You can tell that the 'particles' have been pre-animated when you slow the time value down to 0.05 or so - the individual frames of the animation will be jarringly noticeable at this speed.

So it's no wonder they don't obey physics in the game: they're obeying a predefined path. This is the case for many of ED's older effects, including most of the explosions.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Just checked the video out at 6.22 and not sure if it is a Mustang....however, if it is, the smoke is still thin, see-through and vapourous behind the wing. In comparison to what there already is.....

Glad though that the current effect is to be looked at, cheers, MP

well Sith said it may get looked at, but to be tweaked is a priority issue, at least till EDGE is implemented. In the mean time, we can spend less cases (<0.5 sec burst) and the effect is minimal..

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

presto!

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

bump 1... every 14 days guys... we must!!!

Bumping doesnt matter, its reported and active in ED's system... bumping just makes me come here and see a bump post :P

OK, then 'don't bump' guys :megalol:...

• 3 weeks later...

ok guys after a lot of searching i just found the file to disable gun smoke

go to : Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bazar\shaders\effects

and delete or rename PFXSmoke2.fx

fire up p51 no more smoke :)

here is a toned down version but i prefer no smoke myself too, i dont like the effects too much they are too static

http://www33.zippyshare.com/v/7106716/file.html

i attach pic from original and toned down

original.jpg.9a6a535bdd70b3c3fbaaa06126f4605e.jpg

toned_down.jpg.bed338a6ce044074c26df9df37aa12dd.jpg

Edited by psy_
  • Like 1

i5 4670,8gb ram,gtx 660,logitech freedom 2.4

Urgh, yuk,,, had not flown the P51 for so long but fired it up today for kicks and also in anticipation of the Dora coming soon.

Was shocked when I saw the gunsmoke, then did some searching and found this thread.

Glad it will be looked into, till then I am gonna try psy's workaround and just delete the smoke. (edit: that worked and removed the smoke)

Edited by Vlerkies

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, this isn't a bump for this thread, but it is sort of related to the gunfire effect and I can't find the link to the 'tweak' that helped :(

I have followed instructions on how to turn off the smoke and that works fine, the 'tweak' I am trying to find is the one where the Tracer 'lod' 'amount' 'detail' or something like that can be turned off or significantly reduced?

I think it was something along the lines that all the bullets or tracer are drawn and this causes frame-rate to drop, but by tweaking a line in the effects somewhere it can be reduced dramatically?

I searched 'tracer' and 'tracers' but the threads don't link to that 'tweak'.

Can anyone help?

Cheers, MP

Can someone make a comparison screenshot, ATI vs NVIDIA smoke effects for current ver DCS P-51D?

ATI users in my squadron are reporting that engine smoke is clearly opaque and visible at unrealistic distances (+40miles with a little zoom in) while I fly on NVIDIA and have none of these troubles. Maybe rendered has something to do with this too?

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Is this the post you're looking for MP?

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1943823&postcount=32

Also, on a related note of FPS drop when firing the P51 guns - I was looking at the spent bullet casing dropping away from the Mustang when firing. In Tacview the game seems to be tracking all the spent bullet cases dropping away when I, any other player and all of the AI fire guns. There's tons of it produced during dogfights and the game seemed to be tracking the trajectory of each spent bullet case across the whole map. I was wondering if it could have an effect on FPS, especially given the volume produced as numbers scale up? I managed to find the file responsible for it and remove the graphical effect in-game however back in Tacview I am noticing that the bullet casings are still tracked regardless i.e spent bullet casing is tracked irrespective of graphic effects.

[edit] the graphic file responsible for spent bullet casing is ...\DCS World\Bazar\World\Shapes\shell_50cal.EDM

This isn't a fix as whilst removing this file removes the visual effect of spent bullets dropping away, it looks like they are still present and tracked according to Tacview. Thought I'd post it because I thought it was an interesting find maybe.

Edited by Bounder
  • Like 1

My PC specs: Win10 64 Pro, CPU i7-3820 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8gb vram).

Controls: Microsoft FFB2, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Pedals, TrackIR5.
My DCS Youtube Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/No64Bounder

[edit] the graphic file responsible for spent bullet casing is ...\DCS World\Bazar\World\Shapes\shell_50cal.EDM

This isn't a fix as whilst removing this file removes the visual effect of spent bullets dropping away, it looks like they are still present and tracked according to Tacview. Thought I'd post it because I thought it was an interesting find maybe.

yeah i think if there is a way to get rid of the game tracking those jackets, it would have certainly a very positive effect on performance