Can you enlarge on screen text?

Calling all DCS experts, is there a way of changing the size of the on-screen text, that comes from ATC, ground crew, wingmen etc, so this old boy does not have to keep squinting and straining his eyes so much. Any pointers in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Modules NOT currently in my hanger

Yak 52/F-14 Tomcat/CE II/Mig-19/I-16/FW-A-8/JF-17/Supercarrier

My system:

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo

3.5 GHz Intel Core i5 4690k

H100i CPU Cooler

16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 Hyper X Fury Red

MSI GTX980ti GPU

EVGA 850W PSU

Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD

128gb Plextor M.2 storage (Boot Drive)

Windows 10 X64 Professional

Acer XB281HK G-sync monitor

Trackir 5

MFG Crosswind pedals

T M Warthog Hotas

This thread might be of interest.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92483

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

This thread might be of interest.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92483

Thank you very much. Although this thread was old and all the scripts in it are totally different in 1.2.7, it gave me a starting point where to look. Together with another member that I noticed had succeeded with this (Fakum) I have come up with this set up so far and I am very happy with it.

I must note that this is the first time I have ever gone into changing scripts, so I apologise if this does not work for you, Just remember to BACKUP first.

Ok, the only file I had to locate was:

DCS World\Scripts\UI\RadioCommandDialogPanel folder

Open the CommandMenu.lua in Notepad ++

Changes are in RED

Line 44 menuWidth = 500

Line 80 local font /fonts/DejaVuLGCSansCondensed-Bold.ttf

Line 84 text.fontsize =22

Line 100 text.fontsize =28

line 101 text.color = yellow

Dont forget to SAVE

Regarding line 80 and the fonts, a list of fonts to be used can be found here:

DCS World\dxgui\skins\fonts

I have only tested this in the Blackshark as that is all I am flying at present. With the success of the above I thought I would try something else out related to the Radio Commands and the F keys. I was finding it quite awkward spanning my hand across the keyboard with the RALT-\ then having to go to the F keys. With a bit of searching I found GREB's post http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.phpt=66715&highlight=ATC+reply+text

Changing Radio Command Keys

Again this is an old post, so the file structure is different in 1.2.7. I located the folder needed eventually

DCS World\Config\Input\CommandMenu\Keyboard

Open the default.lua in Notepadd++ (obviously backup first)

change's are in RED

function layout()

return {

keyCommands = {

{combos = {{key = 'Num1'}}, name = 'Command menu item 1', down = ICommandMenuItem1},

{combos = {{key = 'Num2'}}, name = 'Command menu item 2', down = ICommandMenuItem2},

{combos = {{key = 'Num3'}}, name = 'Command menu item 3', down = ICommandMenuItem3},

{combos = {{key = 'Num4'}}, name = 'Command menu item 4', down = ICommandMenuItem4},

{combos = {{key = 'Num5'}}, name = 'Command menu item 5', down = ICommandMenuItem5},

{combos = {{key = 'Num6'}}, name = 'Command menu item 6', down = ICommandMenuItem6},

{combos = {{key = 'Num7'}}, name = 'Command menu item 7', down = ICommandMenuItem7},

{combos = {{key = 'Num8'}}, name = 'Command menu item 8', down = ICommandMenuItem8},

{combos = {{key = 'Num9'}}, name = 'Command menu item 9', down = ICommandMenuItem9},

{combos = {{key = 'Num0'}}, name = 'Command menu item 10', down = ICommandMenuItem10},

{combos = {{key = 'F11'}}, name = 'Command menu item 11', down = ICommandMenuItem11},

{combos = {{key = 'F12'}}, name = 'Command menu item 12', down = ICommandMenuItem12},

{combos = {{key = 'Tab', reformers = {'LShift'}}}, name = 'Command switch dialog', down = ICommandSwitchDialog},

},

}

end

The only other task to complete is binding the Radio Command key in DCS options\controls, I bound the RALT-\ keyboard command to the right arrow key ⇨ left of the numpad (if you use a joystick you wont need right pitch) , now all I have to do is use my thumb on the new radio command binding ⇨ and my fingers on the 1-0 numbers for the F keys just using one hand, sooooooo much easier.

As I said before this has only been tested in the Blackshark as for other aircraft, I am unsure.

I hope this is helpful to some, appologies if there are any mistakes as I said this is my first experience at scripts and posting.

Thanks again cichlidfan.

I can confirm that this set up does not work in the A-10C, you have to use your MIC Switch bindings.

Edited by mondaysoff
  • Like 2

My system:

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo

H100i CPU Cooler

MSI GTX980ti GPU

EVGA 850W PSU

Trackir 5

MFG Crosswind pedals

T M Warthog Hotas

• 7 months later...

Hi there. Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I also find myself wanting a larger text size (preferably in yellow or orange).

I tried the changes that were mentioned above, but the moment I save the new LUA and launch the game, it crashes. The only file I modified was the CommandMenu.lua in notepad.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong here. I followed the instructions above to the letter. Unless it no longer works with the new patch we got a couple days ago?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

YouTube ~ Twitch

Hi there. Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I also find myself wanting a larger text size (preferably in yellow or orange).

I tried the changes that were mentioned above, but the moment I save the new LUA and launch the game, it crashes. The only file I modified was the CommandMenu.lua in notepad.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong here. I followed the instructions above to the letter. Unless it no longer works with the new patch we got a couple days ago?

Hi, sorry to hear you are having problems with this. I notice you say you are using Notepad, not "Notepad ++" the latter is much more reliable, and it is free to download, just do a google search.

I have just upgraded to the latest patch and it works OK for me, please let me know your success.

• Like 1

My system:

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo

H100i CPU Cooler

MSI GTX980ti GPU

EVGA 850W PSU

Trackir 5

MFG Crosswind pedals

T M Warthog Hotas

Thank you Mondaysoff for the prompt response there! I had no idea Notepad++ was a separate entity from regular windows Notepad. That made the difference!

Now... next question. I see that we can change the color of the caption heading, what about the color of the actual text options? Is there a way to change that, because line 85 does not appear to do anything. It remains white, even though I typed yellow.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

YouTube ~ Twitch

Hi Belgeode, glad I was of some assistance, Just one extra note, if you didn't already know, every time ED does an update you have to re-enter that info again. For me I have a before and after folders with the relevant lua files in. Also EDGE is due for release soon, that may also change things.

As for your next question regarding coloured caption text, I had a go with that myself today and the same thing happened to me. I am still learning this game and I have very limited knowledge in scripts and lua's and limited time so my apologies for not being helpful here. If I find any solutions I will post back here.

My system:

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo

H100i CPU Cooler

MSI GTX980ti GPU

EVGA 850W PSU

Trackir 5

MFG Crosswind pedals

T M Warthog Hotas

This is a great tip for this old geezer! I would also like to enlarge the briefing window if anyone knows how.

MJ

msi Z170A MB, i7-6700k @ 4.0GHz, 32GB DDR4

GeForce GTX 970 4GB, Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB

Acer Predator Z271, 650w PSU, Corsair Carbon500R, MS FFB 2

Notepd is a terrible editor ! It was created to take small notes for everyday life and not to create, open & edit or just open & safe any files that are read by the operating system.

If you just "touch" a file with MS Notepad in the linux world, aka /etc/xyz-config...you have a very good chance of getting an unreadable file.

the reason, afair, is the line end command and CLF ( might be the same, I simply dunno ).

I screwed up some files over the years by disobeying this fundamental law :(

Don't use Notepad for anything else but notes.

MS-World notepad++ ( Wordpad does not break the lines/CLF but is not nice to work with )

linux joe or vi

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• 1 month later...
Just wanted to note that mondaysoff's tips in post #4 still work perfectly in 1.2.14. Nice work!

I second that.

BTW, can same be done for the frame counter (R CTRL / Pause) ??

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/84648/

I use this mod in the current build, with no problems at all.

It takes a couple of minutes to set up and you don't need to use the clickable element, if you don't want to.

Just edit the mods .lua prior to installing it with JSGME.

Plus, I use it with the DK2 so take advantage of the ability to move the text in to the viewable area!

Cheers,

Smirkza

Hi Belgeode, glad I was of some assistance, Just one extra note, if you didn't already know, every time ED does an update you have to re-enter that info again. For me I have a before and after folders with the relevant lua files in. Also EDGE is due for release soon, that may also change things.

As for your next question regarding coloured caption text, I had a go with that myself today and the same thing happened to me. I am still learning this game and I have very limited knowledge in scripts and lua's and limited time so my apologies for not being helpful here. If I find any solutions I will post back here.

I dont remember all the details, but quite a while back when I successfully was able to increase the text size for communications only, I never had to do anything again with all the updates. Im not talking about color, Im strictly talking about FONT SIZE. that may be because every time there is an update, DCS creates a backup file which includes subfolders such as MODS & Scripts. After the update, I simply open up the DCS word root directory and copy and replace all the backup files and allow overwrite, Hope that helps in some way?

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

• 2 weeks later...
I dont remember all the details, but quite a while back when I successfully was able to increase the text size for communications only, I never had to do anything again with all the updates. Im not talking about color, Im strictly talking about FONT SIZE. that may be because every time there is an update, DCS creates a backup file which includes subfolders such as MODS & Scripts. After the update, I simply open up the DCS word root directory and copy and replace all the backup files and allow overwrite, Hope that helps in some way?

Thanks FAKUM, I will do that at next update. I wondered why all those back up files were building up in the DCS directory, I assume it is ok to delete all but the latest back up?

My system:

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo

H100i CPU Cooler

MSI GTX980ti GPU

EVGA 850W PSU