Stutter issue solved

30mikemike

Hi guys, I thought I'd start a new thread for this so more people will see it. I'll share with you my findings...………

After hours and hours of frustration I believe I may have found a solution to the stutters. Well it certainly has worked, 100% for me....

I have a brand new PC, I7 8700k clocked @ 4.7ghz. A Strix overclocked GTX 1080TI, 16GB of RAM @ 3600mhz and 2x Hyper X Savage SSD's. One with Windows on and one with DCS on. There is nothing else on my PC apart from a few of the Wifes photos.

I run a 24 inch monitor, an Acer XB240H. Quite old now in terms of what's out but still a very good gaming monitor. Connected by Display Port.

I run most settings in DCS on full, including SSAA and MSAA. Trees at 100% but shadows off for the time being. Also, the F/A-18C.

The only thing I've changed in Inspector is 'Prefer Maximum Performance'. Nothing else.

I've just been experimenting with the refresh rates as I've always ran it at 144hz and whilst it was smooth with good FPS I had micro stutters. I changed it to 60hz and it was perfect apart from when I flew over a heavily tree'd area the frames dropped from 60 to 30 and stuttered. I changed it to 100hz and boom, sweet spot! It locks the frames in the game to 50fps over built up/tree'd areas and then snaps to 100fps in less dense areas. BUT.....there is absolutely NO micro stutters whatsoever and it is 100% glass smooth.

Whether this will work for others is anyones guess but it has certainly just worked for me. I'm OCD when it comes to things like this which is why I binned P3D but I'm more than happy with the performance of DCS now.

Hope this helps.....

Jonny

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

Also don't forget to change 'Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration' to 'Single display performace mode' if you only use 1 screen like I do (otherwise disregard)

Yeah done that mate, although it seems to default to it now whereas it never did on my old PC....odd.

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

Yeah done that mate, although it seems to default to it now whereas it never did on my old PC....odd.

Rgr all good, BTW while have you ever tried setting your 1080Ti to run in MSI mode?

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/windows-line-based-vs-message-signaled-based-interrupts.378044/

I've had my 1080 GTX card running on MSI mode for a week now and it's been rock solid performance and zero problems, before it was sharing an IRQ with the USB ports which isn't good.

Rgr all good, BTW while have you ever tried setting your 1080Ti to run in MSI mode?

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/windows-line-based-vs-message-signaled-based-interrupts.378044/

I've had my 1080 GTX card running on MSI mode for a week now and it's been rock solid performance and zero problems, before it was sharing an IRQ with the USB ports which isn't good.

I haven't actually tried it yet although I was reading a bit about this the other night. I'll have a look into it and report back to you...cheers for the tip...:thumbup:

hi mate,

would you mid sharing the proper procedure to change the graphic card to MSI mod? it's a bit complicated, additionally according to the forumm pci-express cards are already running in MSI b default rather than IRQ

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

hi mate,

would you mid sharing the proper procedure to change the graphic card to MSI mod? it's a bit complicated, additionally according to the forumm pci-express cards are already running in MSI b default rather than IRQ

It's as simple as ticking a box, hitting apply then restarting the PC.

My 1080 was running in non MSI IRQ 16 before I did this and was sharing this address with the USB root hub which I'm sure isn't healthy, so I can personally vouch that not all cards do not already run in MSI mode.

You need to download the MSI Utility from here http://www.mediafire.com/file/2kkkvko7e75opce/MSI_util_v2.zip

extract the contents to a folder then double click MSI_util_v2.exe and you'll be presented with this

Yuy0w0Z.jpg

as the instructions show in the image just click on the msi box opposite your graphics card, click apply then restart your PC, then rerun the program and verify if you're in msi mode by the negative IRQ number (mine was IRQ 16 before then -4 afterwards)

you can also check the msi setting in the device manager after the restart

HYPA23Q.jpg

One last thing, if you ever change or update your graphics card driver you'll need to go through this procedure again as it will default back to the standard IRQ method.

Edited by Mustang

I am interested in the method changes the IRQ, but the MSI Utility does not see any device. While in the system I found the same sharing an interrupt.

IRQ.jpg

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

I am interested in the method changes the IRQ, but the MSI Utility does not see any device. While in the system I found the same sharing an interrupt.

IRQ.jpg

MSI didn't show anything for me either if I ran it from the zip file. I had to extract it and ran it as admin and it showed everything. (not sure if you need to run as admin)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

MSI didn't show anything for me either if I ran it from the zip file. I had to extract it and ran it as admin and it showed everything. (not sure if you need to run as admin)

Yes I did mention you need to extract the program first, running it from the archive directly is not recommended.

I continued the instructions and the system booted with graphics MSI mode.

MSI.jpg

Nice one, it's a very simple procedure once you've carried it out a few times, would be interested to see if it's improved on your system at all - for me I've noticed super stability and just smoother overall operation.

Because I haven't had so far problems, I don't want to write jump to conclusions, I can so far confirm that this change is completely safe.

I have to more test, I like such innovations. Mustang thank you.

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

thank you Mustang for your the support you are and you've been providing for this community!!

I will give a try immediately today after job!!

thanks again, cheers :)

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Another thread suggested changing the prerendered frames to 4 to make it smoother (NOT the VR prerendered setting). I use VR and this change made it much smoother. There has been no control input lag either.

I'm on the opposite end of the scale here, I've tested max prerendered frames on application preference 1 2 3 and 4 and 1 is definitely the best on my machine, guess that's the joy of having different mixes of hardware :)

Same here.

FPS are the same but this micro stutters when moving the image with Track Ir are reduced for me also. So far so good oim happy. Thanks Mustang.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Found another old forum post regarding MSI mode

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/776850/geforce-drivers/message-signaled-interrupts-/post/4316992/#4316992

apparently MSI is a part of PCI-E and *should* be on by default, but it seems nVidia decided to go with legacy IRQ for whatever reason, seems odd as AMD card users have MSI by default.

Any FPS gain or less stutering dude ?

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

It's a case of YMMV, there could be some performance enhancement but the overall benefit from this far smoother system operation due to the videocard working on it's own and not clashing with the USB or any other device in the PC.

Rgr that Sir! will give it a try. Over&out.

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

Thanks for this, found I had a clash with GTX 1070 & sound controller, both now moved changed to MSI mode and system DCS seems to run smoother, no empirical data though......

z9gV90R.pngz9gV90R.png

System:

I9 9900KS 5.0GHz : 2080Ti : MSI Z390 GODLike : 32Gb Vengance 4000MHz DDR4 : Samsung 970 1TB Evo Plus, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB : ViewSonic 4K 32"

Windows 10 : HOTAS - Warthog : TPR Pedals : HP Reverb Pro