Sticky toebrakes on the Saitek Combat Rudder pedals

As per this thread:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1650260#post1650260

The long and short is, the toebrakes on my Saitek Combat Rudder pedals sometimes "stick" to some degree when I release the toebrake pedals too fast. If I do it very gently, I can usually get around the problem. Needless to say, this toebrake issue makes my takeoffs and landings kinda hairy, to the everlasting amusement of the fine fellows I'm flying with on-line.

Aside from a couple of threads from people with the same problem, I couldn't find a proper bug report so I decided to go ahead and start one.

I noticed this also with combat pedals and in fact could see it occuring from windows game controller properties. If i stab the pedal it returned to zero, but often the right peddal became stuck just above the zero axis. All i did was added a deadzone from the windows game controller properties, or might have been saitek controller properties, cant recall right now, and all is fine now. Didnt have to edit game deadzone at all, i just added a slight curve for a smoother brake pedal pressure.

Current Flight Rig

i7 4960X @ 4.6Ghz

ASUS Rampage IV Formula

G.SKILL TridentX 2400Mhz 32GB DDR3

Crucial 1TB MX300 SSD

MSI Gaming X 1080Ti

Samsung 55" JS8000 SUHD 4K

Windows 10 x64

TrackIR 5, Warthog HOTAS

Saitek Pro Flight Combat Pedals

Custom Akers-Barnes, MkI eyeball.

JAR, your curve solution doesn't work for me, because I can still make the little red axis readout cue (for lack of a better term) stick somewhere along the curve by releasing the pedal really fast, and DCS still reads that as (unwanted) brake input. I'm still having the exact same issue as in that Youtube video, and unfortunately, making the curve slightly steeper with a huge deadzone at the top doesn't fix my problem.

The pedals are behaving exactly like you would expect in Falcon BMS 4.32 and FSX, without the "stickiness" no matter how hard I try, which is making me suspect that the issue is actually with DCS and not with my hardware or driver setup.

• 2 weeks later...

I have Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals and I can confirm this issue occurs with DCS, where after releasing a brake input the brakes will sometimes (quite often, actually) "stick" at a certain input percentage. The video in the OP illustrates the issue perfectly, as this will occur both within the options menu and in the simulator.

What I found is this will occur with quick inputs. If you push the wheel brake down quickly, you will likely not get a full deflection, more likely it will stop somewhere between 70-90%. Likewise, if you release it quickly, you will likely not get a full release, usually it will stop between 10 - 40% brakes applied.

The issue only ever occurs within DCS for me. It can be somewhat mitigated by giving slow and smooth inputs with the brake pedals, but even then a rather large deadzone is necessary

I have Simped F-16 USB pedals and I have the same issue (axis not returning to zero after releasing the foot brake). I do not use a dead zone. I found that if you apply brakes (W key input) momentarily, the foot brake axis (both brakes) will return to zero.

POA but a workaround.

I'll have to try the dead zone "fix" but the game definitely has a problem with the foot brake axis.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3rd Mar Div

RVN '66-'67

It is a known issue, but it's proving to be damn difficult for the devs to pin down.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

I've been playing around with various settings and in the Axis Tune and the one thing I noticed is that at least with the Simped rudder pedals/toe brakes, the brakes appear to perform just fine when tested in the "Tune Axis" window. However, when tested in the Sim (P-51D in my case) using Control+Enter, the brakes hang at about 25% of the axis value when released. The aircraft also behaves as if the brake is partially applied.

The "hang" can be cleared by momentarily depressing the full brake key (I believe it's the "W" key in P-51).

I using "Slider", no dead zone and the brake axis is not inverted (the Simped pedals do not require the brake axis to be invested). All tests were performed in the P-51D Real sim.

I hope this info helps the Developers track this down.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3rd Mar Div

RVN '66-'67

• 3 months later...

Simple & dirty fix: assign the "brakes" key to something, and just before takeoff (or just after you've been using the toebrakes, anyway), click that key, or plainly depress the keyboard key. It will reset both axis, and off and straight you go ! :beer:

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add to the list....I have had this problem for some time....only in DCS and some FSX planes...exactly as everybody has described. I will try the keyboard trick for DCS....seems like an easy work around, but would love a real fix.

Kinda glad to see this thread, I was worried my pedal pots were going!

[Edit] - if you search same topic (sticky Saitek Rudder pedals FSX), but for FSX on Google, you get some solutions about changing the sensitivity within FSX program....I wonder if developers changed some sort of sensitivity setting in DCS since the issue did not happen in older versions.

Edited by Marmusman

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

On a dumbphone now so can't dig out a link, but search for my username and sticky brakes or some such, and you are likely to find my thread with a registry fix which solves the issue rather than works around it. Haven't seen it in years after applying that fix, without touching the in-game settings.

If you try it and it doesn't work, you should add a note there.

On a dumbphone now so can't dig out a link, but search for my username and sticky brakes or some such, and you are likely to find my thread with a registry fix which solves the issue rather than works around it. Haven't seen it in years after applying that fix, without touching the in-game settings.

If you try it and it doesn't work, you should add a note there.

You need to unplug your pedals, delete a registry key, replug your pedals, cycle them and you should be good. The registry key is probably

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\CurrentControlSet\Control \MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\DirectInput\VID _06A3&PID_0763

although the same key has been found in other locations. VID = vendor ID, PID =product ID, in this case regular Saiteks. Combat pedals are PID 0764 IIRC. More info in this thread:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=67912

Edit: Now I see the OP has CH pedals. Have only heard of this issue with Saiteks, but that could be down to sales volume. VID and PID will obviously be completely different for CHs.

The above is the info from Efte. Gonna try this at home later today after my workday sine i notice my toebreaks hang on my combat rudder peddals sometimes when realeasing my breaks.

g8PjVMw.png