[REQ] Adding a forest fire ?

Lilkiki

Sure.

Make some small zones -- 100 radius or 50...

Set an event to Explode and use some different volumes from 1000 - 8000 or more to get what you want. You can always Activate a small house or watchtower or mortar and explode that with a Explode Unit.

Then Explode all the other zones you created and you will have yourself a good inferno.

WC

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

Actually if we had simulated forest fires we could then have DCS Water Bomber! :megalol:

This was exactly the original idea :D

FireFighter_Front.png

Many thanks guys for you help with triggers,

I've managed last night to create a custom mod (100% transparent object with .lua script > no replacement of core files, just a "tech" mod) which enable huge fire and smokes.

Fires burn during 27,78 Hours O_o via lua parameters until we cut them off via trigger.

No FPS cost on my rig.

I have to double check this tonight (at work at that moment)

Here are some screens :

Screen_150128_105424.jpg

Screen_150128_105446.jpg

Screen_150128_105535.jpg

Edited by Lilkiki
  • Like 1

Thanks Agg ;)

Beautiful mod, one question, is possible to cut the fire using scripts after being bomber with water?

I guess the answer would be YES, it is one of the major goals of this "mod", I didn't had time last night to investigate more, I will look deeper during the WE, the mod will be of course release ;)

That could be easily done without triggers ;)

Does someone knows HOW TO disactivate (make disapear) via trigger a DESTROYED group or unit ?

It seems to work only for non-destroyed units !

Thanks for your help !

I'm just a noob in the editor but maybe MOOSE can help, take a look there

TU NE CEDE MALIS SED CONTRA AUDENTIOR ITO

Asrock Fatal1ty Gaming K6+, i5-6600K, 32 GB DDR4, Asus GTX 1070 Strix, SSD 500GB, HDD 1TB, Win 10 x64, Monitor LG Ultrawide 29UM67, Soundblaster Z+Sennheiser Game One, HOTAS Warthog, TFRP Thrustmaster, TrackIr

Hi guys,

@ Silvuca : thanks for this link ! But MOOSE can't manage (apparently) to "erase" a destroyed unit which is not placed on a runway. May be I'm wrong, I'm not a talented LUA coder.

@ Stonehouse : for sure !

DOWNLOAD as attachement

Install the folder named "forestfire" in DCS World\Mods\tech\

You can find the object in the "Structures" Tab in the ME.

No FPS cost on my pretty fast PC, I guess that if you place 30 fires, there might be a more or less FPS hit (since EDGE is not released)

forestfire.zip

fire.miz

• Like 1

Lilkiki,

I was mucking about with your mod trying to catch up on building a mission for my group for this evening and discovered that the fire and smoke scales according to firesize in the lua. Which you probably already knew lol but it led me to the below which I thought may be useful. It would be nice if mission builders had a collection of fire and smoke objects (can you do smoke without fire?) of different sizes and types and colours of smoke. Unfortunately I don't have access to the graphics software DCS needs to do something like and even if I did I have no clue how to use it :dunno:

Anyway slight change to your mod which seems to work for me but I'm sure you could improve on a lot. So now Small, Medium and Large listed under static/structures as FireLarge, FireMedium and FireSmall in JSGME format

forestfire.zip

Screen_150205_152235.thumb.jpg.eeeb8d58addc5ce7d336ce18d50cf050.jpg

Edited by Stonehouse

hi, nice work / idea ;)

if i may ask, this transparent object you are using, is it flat? has it a collision model?

if it is flat i would like to use it for another idea i had some time ago, if i may ;)

regards and happy fire extinguishing,

RR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

Roadrunner. I was never able to view col models with the standard modelviewer but standalone versions seem to work if you type 'showcol' in the console.

Lil's fire which I got from Stonehouse's edit seems to be a 0.5m cube (invisible texture) with a 0.5m cube collision model.

Sprinkle them over your terrain like little fire cubes I guess.

I didn't really change anything by the way, I just copied and renamed the fireobject.edm to firelarge.edm etc and then made three copies of the lua with appropriate name and pointed each to the appropriate edm file and change the firesize parameter in the medium and large one. It'd be nice to have a few different colour smokes and what have you but even this is a big help for putting atmosphere into missions without it seems too much fps hit

Does someone knows HOW TO disactivate (make disapear) via trigger a DESTROYED group or unit ?

Thanks for your help !

Lilkiki, there MIGHT be a way and since you don't mind hacks it might be a solution.

Naval units seem to have a unique damage model. A naval unit can have unique collision shells mapped to unique damage regions. Each region can have its own fire so Naval units can have burning parts without being dead.

If you can object swap a naval unit then you have your solution. You will also have to hack editor LUA to be able to drop Naval units on the ground. It is not too much trouble.

---

I noticed that the DCS M1A1 Tank has a pretty detailed collision model but it isn't used when it is a ground unit. So I made it a Naval unit. Details in this thread -> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=135689

Edited by vicx
clarity

Lilkiki,

I was mucking about with your mod trying to catch up on building a mission for my group for this evening and discovered that the fire and smoke scales according to firesize in the lua. Which you probably already knew lol but it led me to the below which I thought may be useful. It would be nice if mission builders had a collection of fire and smoke objects (can you do smoke without fire?) of different sizes and types and colours of smoke. Unfortunately I don't have access to the graphics software DCS needs to do something like and even if I did I have no clue how to use it :dunno:

Anyway slight change to your mod which seems to work for me but I'm sure you could improve on a lot. So now Small, Medium and Large listed under static/structures as FireLarge, FireMedium and FireSmall in JSGME format

I installed with JSGME, it shows in the ME structures menu and I can place it on the map but it doesn't show up in the mission. What am I doing wrong?