X52 Pro and DCS - my journey

animaal

I’ve got a Saitek X52Pro, and after a lot of bad decisions, I’m eventually settled on a configuration that I’m happy with. I hope a few of these might save time for other X52Pro owners.

I’m attaching a zip file with my default X52Profile for DCS, and the Freepie script referred to below.

Before starting DCS, I have to plug in the X52Pro, then start the “FreePie” application. But for me the extra step is worth it.

Wrong Approach:

Originally, I started with a separate X52Pro profile per DCS module. The thinking was that I could keep the default key configurations in DCS for each module, and use the Logitech profile editor to create an X52Pro profile per DCS module, mapping each HOTAS button to the keyboard key presses expected by DCS for that module. This worked, but had a few problems.

1. Every time I moved from one plane to another in DCS, I had to Alt-Tab to the desktop and select a different X52 profile.

2. The keys sometimes clashed when used with modifiers. A made-up example: Wheelbrake might be ‘Shift-W’. Nosewheel-steering might be ‘S’. When I press both together, the X52 profile generates the keypresses “S” and “Shift-W” simultaneously. DCS might see ‘Shift-S’ instead of simply ‘S’. Let’s hope ‘Shift-S’ isn’t anything like Eject!

2nd Effort:

I created a single X52Pro profile for DCS, and customised the controller configuration of each module in DCS. DCS is now reading the joystick input directly, rather than just seeing the keyboard presses simulated by the X52 Profiler app. This addresses the two problems described above.

Rather than using the X52 Profile editor to manage Pinkie-shift states, I let DCS do the work. In the DCS control configuration, I can set up the pinkie button (Button ID #6) as a modifier. It simplifies the X52 profiler profile for DCS. To allow DCS manage the pinkie modifier, remember to disable the Clutch mode globally for the X52 pro. Be aware that this will also affect all other games.

The single X52 profile configures a few global functions, such as using the Clutch button on the throttle for TeamSpeak/Discord, and the throttle ministack bands for radio commands.

Problems/Solutions

Problem: I use VoiceAttack/Vaicom sometimes. But not when the family’s around. How to use a single set of HOTAS actions to activate the radio by Vaicom or Function key?

Solution: I generally don’t like to change X52 mode states while flying. So in my one X52Pro DCS profile I define Mode1 for F-Key comms, and Mode2 to be for VaiCom comms. These X52 DCS profiles are identical other than Mode1 having the throttle mini stick defined to activate the radio using F-keys and Mode2 activating the radio using Vaicom TX commands. When starting DCS (or at any later time) , I can choose Mode1 on the stick for Function key comms, or Mode2 for Vaicom voice comms.

Problem: The X52Pro slider is great for mapping to the view-zoom. Except it’s jittery.

Solution: Install VJoy and FreePie. Set up a new device in VJoy, with just one slider control. This is a virtual joystick that Windows thinks is a physical device. A Freepie script can provide a filtered/smoothed view of the X52pro slider through this virtual device. In DCS, the slider on the virtual device is used for zoom view. This approach was originally described here:

Problem: I want to use Fire B with the Pinkie modifier to activate “TrackIR recentre view”. With DCS (rather than X52 profiler) managing the Pinkie shift states, I need to disable Clutch mode globally for the X52 pro. But Freepie has a problem. Freepie can translate HOTAS button presses to keyboard presses, but only sends these key events to the active window They aren’t picked up by other background apps.

Solution: Freepie uses Python, so a chunk of Python code in the Freepie script can cause native Windows key events to be generated, bypassing Freepie’s keypress generation.

Problem: The X52pro throttle has 2 scrollwheels and two buttons below the LCD screen, but these aren’t available through the X52 profile editor. Can DCS make use of them to simulate mouse clicks/scrolling? This would be useful in VR.

Solution: Yes. I mapped the two buttons as mouse left and right click, and one of the scrollwheels as mouse scroll. This was more code for the Freepie script. The button IDs in Freepie are:

Left Scroll wheel up/down: #34, #35

Right Scroll wheel up/down: #36, #37

Upper/Lower buttons: #32, #33

Problem: The latest X52Pro drivers and profile editor are provided by Logitech rather than Saitek. But the Logitech version doesn’t support a “default” profile that’s loaded automatically on startup.

Solution: The Logitech software does support default profiles, it just doesn’t expose the option to specify the default profile. To set one yourself, edit the registry and create a new key

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Logitech\Configuration\StartupProfiles

Within that key, create a string value. Mine’s named:

{75BB6CC8-FB40-4BE1-BF2B-4B10397A98A8}

The string value is the path to a profile. See the attached screenshot.

attachment.php?attachmentid=175485&stc=1&d=1514986662

Now, when I plug in the HOTAS, the DCS profile is automatically selected.

By the way, the X52Pro Mode switch can be used as a modifier in DCS. In DCS, you can create a modifier called "Mode1" using button ID #28, a modifier called "Mode2" using button ID #29 and a modifier called "Mode3" using button ID #30.

X52Pro Profile and FreePie script.zip

1547935984_LogitechStartupProfile.PNG.0ad192078c956a3786da649bf2e4600f.PNG

Edited by animaal

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K, Kempston joystick Interface, Alba Cassette Recorder, Quickshot II Turbo Joystick

• 2 months later...

These tips were game changing for me, in particular the one for smoothing out the slider jitter. I extended your python script to smooth out the thumb wheel as well.

Your write up was very much appreciated. Kudos for sharing!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Very good one. Learned a few new things. Thanks.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

Thanks for all the feedback. I only have two things to give back to the helpful community here - how I have my HOTAS set up, and how to crash spectacularly when landing on a carrier.

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K, Kempston joystick Interface, Alba Cassette Recorder, Quickshot II Turbo Joystick

• 2 months later...
I’ve got a Saitek X52Pro, and after a lot of bad decisions, I’m eventually settled on a configuration that I’m happy with. I hope a few of these might save time for other X52Pro owners.

I’m attaching a zip file with my default X52Profile for DCS, and the Freepie script referred to below.

Before starting DCS, I have to plug in the X52Pro, then start the “FreePie” application. But for me the extra step is worth it.

Wrong Approach:

Originally, I started with a separate X52Pro profile per DCS module. The thinking was that I could keep the default key configurations in DCS for each module, and use the Logitech profile editor to create an X52Pro profile per DCS module, mapping each HOTAS button to the keyboard key presses expected by DCS for that module. This worked, but had a few problems.

1. Every time I moved from one plane to another in DCS, I had to Alt-Tab to the desktop and select a different X52 profile.

2. The keys sometimes clashed when used with modifiers. A made-up example: Wheelbrake might be ‘Shift-W’. Nosewheel-steering might be ‘S’. When I press both together, the X52 profile generates the keypresses “S” and “Shift-W” simultaneously. DCS might see ‘Shift-S’ instead of simply ‘S’. Let’s hope ‘Shift-S’ isn’t anything like Eject!

2nd Effort:

I created a single X52Pro profile for DCS, and customised the controller configuration of each module in DCS. DCS is now reading the joystick input directly, rather than just seeing the keyboard presses simulated by the X52 Profiler app. This addresses the two problems described above.

Rather than using the X52 Profile editor to manage Pinkie-shift states, I let DCS do the work. In the DCS control configuration, I can set up the pinkie button (Button ID #6) as a modifier. It simplifies the X52 profiler profile for DCS. To allow DCS manage the pinkie modifier, remember to disable the Clutch mode globally for the X52 pro. Be aware that this will also affect all other games.

The single X52 profile configures a few global functions, such as using the Clutch button on the throttle for TeamSpeak/Discord, and the throttle ministack bands for radio commands.

Problems/Solutions

Problem: I use VoiceAttack/Vaicom sometimes. But not when the family’s around. How to use a single set of HOTAS actions to activate the radio by Vaicom or Function key?

Solution: I generally don’t like to change X52 mode states while flying. So in my one X52Pro DCS profile I define Mode1 for F-Key comms, and Mode2 to be for VaiCom comms. These X52 DCS profiles are identical other than Mode1 having the throttle mini stick defined to activate the radio using F-keys and Mode2 activating the radio using Vaicom TX commands. When starting DCS (or at any later time) , I can choose Mode1 on the stick for Function key comms, or Mode2 for Vaicom voice comms.

Problem: The X52Pro slider is great for mapping to the view-zoom. Except it’s jittery.

Solution: Install VJoy and FreePie. Set up a new device in VJoy, with just one slider control. This is a virtual joystick that Windows thinks is a physical device. A Freepie script can provide a filtered/smoothed view of the X52pro slider through this virtual device. In DCS, the slider on the virtual device is used for zoom view. This approach was originally described here:

Problem: I want to use Fire B with the Pinkie modifier to activate “TrackIR recentre view”. With DCS (rather than X52 profiler) managing the Pinkie shift states, I need to disable Clutch mode globally for the X52 pro. But Freepie has a problem. Freepie can translate HOTAS button presses to keyboard presses, but only sends these key events to the active window They aren’t picked up by other background apps.

Solution: Freepie uses Python, so a chunk of Python code in the Freepie script can cause native Windows key events to be generated, bypassing Freepie’s keypress generation.

Problem: The X52pro throttle has 2 scrollwheels and two buttons below the LCD screen, but these aren’t available through the X52 profile editor. Can DCS make use of them to simulate mouse clicks/scrolling? This would be useful in VR.

Solution: Yes. I mapped the two buttons as mouse left and right click, and one of the scrollwheels as mouse scroll. This was more code for the Freepie script. The button IDs in Freepie are:

Left Scroll wheel up/down: #34, #35

Right Scroll wheel up/down: #36, #37

Upper/Lower buttons: #32, #33

Problem: The latest X52Pro drivers and profile editor are provided by Logitech rather than Saitek. But the Logitech version doesn’t support a “default” profile that’s loaded automatically on startup.

Solution: The Logitech software does support default profiles, it just doesn’t expose the option to specify the default profile. To set one yourself, edit the registry and create a new key

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Logitech\Configuration\StartupProfiles

Within that key, create a string value. Mine’s named:

{75BB6CC8-FB40-4BE1-BF2B-4B10397A98A8}

The string value is the path to a profile. See the attached screenshot.

attachment.php?attachmentid=175485&stc=1&d=1514986662

Now, when I plug in the HOTAS, the DCS profile is automatically selected.

By the way, the X52Pro Mode switch can be used as a modifier in DCS. In DCS, you can create a modifier called "Mode1" using button ID #28, a modifier called "Mode2" using button ID #2 and a modifier called "Mode3" using button ID #30.

Hi, thanks for your explanation, maybe you can help me! I set in X52 Programming tool tha Pinkie is a fallback, and in DCS I set joy #6 as a Modifier. It was working fine. But today it was not working anymore. In Controls setup a realized that the Pinkie was not working anymore. Any clue?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the hard work. I just started messing with this yesterday and burned up half a day and got nowhere fast. Question: In the Logitech X52 Professional HOTAS Software, in grid view, should the "Pinkie" be set to Unprogrammed, Fall Back, or Button?

Mine is unprogrammed. You would set it as a modifier button within DCS

Be sure to disable clutch mode. That is done within the windows Control Panel Game Controller applet, and not in the Logitech software

Edit: oh wait, the clutch comment is to make the clutch button on the throttle mappable. It doesn't have anything to do with the pinkie switch. Apologies.

Edited by Zyll

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Y that? I am using my since 2008 without a problem.

Imho this stick has by far the best value for the money.

Better now than it was before, because DCS supports it better in the way you can define these modifier keys nowadays, if you don't want to 'program' a special DCS profile - you don't have to.

But if you want you can.

3 modes - triples your switches and buttons almost. You can define each and every button.

@davebert should be button

If I have a problem with the thing and want to check it - I usually first go to the driver (devices and printer, gamecontroler...) and check there.

• 4 weeks later...

I returned my X52 Pro after a day. My hands were not liking the shape and the rotary knobs on the throttle were cumbersome to use. The quality seemed good, it just wasn't for me. The top left hat switch on the joystick kept bothering my thumb. The 2 buttons were to far to the left. I don't know. Guess I'm the oddball out.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your great hints for your X52 Pro, you helped me very much! Especially your guide for the slider configuration using vJoy & FreePIE was excellent!!!

It looked easy to realize, but I had the (well known) issue duing installing the current version of vJoy (2.1.8.39) on my system (Windows 10 1809 x64) - the installation procedure got stucked. Then I managed to install vJoy but then i had the next issue: my X52 Pro (driver version 7.0.53.6 from MadCatz) didn't work anymore.

It took several tries and hours, but I found a workaround for that issues. That was my way to the solution:

I. English

1. install vJoy
2. open the taskmanager as soon as the installation stucks; if the vJoy installer has
  a) two instances:
     - wait around one minute
     - kill the process "Installer for Joy KMDF driver"
     - continue with step 3
  b) three instances:
     - abort stuck vJoy installation using the taskmanager
     - restart Windows
     - restart vJoy installation
     - return to step 2
3. the installation should finish with the message "vJoy successfully installed"
4. restart windows
5. configure your vJoy devices
6. restart windows
7. open the Windows Device-Manager and check if you have the following input-devices
  - "vJoy Device",
  - "X52 Pro Flight Controller (HID)" and
  - "X52 Pro Flight Controller (USB)"
  If you only have the "X52 Pro Flight Controller (USB)" you need to reinstall your X52 Pro drivers:
  - right click at "X52 Pro Flight Controller (USB)"
  - "uninstall device"
  - don't activate the box "delete drivers for that device"
  - "uninstall"
  - reboot windows
8. configure X52 Pro as desired (windows control panel)
9. repeat steps 7 to 8 after each reconfiguration of vJoy

II. German

1. vJoy-Installation starten
2. wenn die Installation hängt, den Taskmanager öffnen und, wenn es
  a) zwei Installationsprozesse gibt: "Installer for Joy KMDF driver" beenden oder
  b) drei Prozesse gibt:
     - vJoy-Installation über den Taskmanager abbrechen
     - Windows neu starten
     - vJoy-Installation erneut starten
3. die Installation sollte mit der Meldung "vJoy erfolgreich installiert" quittiert werden
4. Windows neu starten
5. vJoy-Gerät(e) konfigurieren
6. Windows neu starten
7. Geräte-Manager öffnen und überprüfen, ob es die Eingabegeräte
  - "vJoy Device",
  - "X52 Pro Flight Controller (HID)" und
  - "X52 Pro Flight Controller (USB)"
  gibt.
  Sollte nur noch das Gerät "X52 Pro Flight Controller (USB)" sichtbar sein, dann sind die X52-Pro-Treiber neu zu installieren:
  - Rechtsklick auf "X52 Pro Flight Controller (USB)"
  - "Gerät deinstallieren"
  - "Treibersoftware für dieses Gerät löschen" nicht markieren
  - "Deinstallieren"
  - Windows neu starten
8. den X52 Pro über "USB-Gamecontroller einrichten" anpassen
9. Schritt 7 - 8 sind nach jeder Änderung eines vJoy-Geräts ("Configure vJoy") zu wiederholen

Additionaly, I've attached my adapted FreePIE-Script for (only) the X52 Pro slider using the driver version 7.0.53.6.

If you wish to autostart FreePIE trayed using that script, extract the attached .py into your FreePIE installation path and add the commandline options "DCS-X52-Pro-Slider.py /run /tray /hide" (without quotes) to your FreePIE desktop link.

FreePie_X52_Pro_Slider.zip

FreePIE_AutoRunScript.thumb.PNG.20321563954c12498ebaa51e6967c65f.PNG

Edited by AstonMartinDBS

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

Interesting, so are you saying that the x52 drivers would cease to work every time we go and make a change in vjoy config? Because I have been having this issue of having to reinstall the Logitech drivers for the x52 every now and then, and I didn't know why. Maybe this is indeed the cause.

This only started happening after I reinstalled windows and all my drivers after upgrading my SSD, as I never ran into this driver issue before.

Interesting, so are you saying that the x52 drivers would cease to work every time we go and make a change in vjoy config? Because I have been having this issue of having to reinstall the Logitech drivers for the x52 every now and then, and I didn't know why. Maybe this is indeed the cause.

On my system each installation/reconfiguration of vJoy kills the device "X52 Pro Flight Controller (HID)". I've never tried to install vJoy with another configuration than my current:

- Windows 10 1809 x64

- vJoy 2.1.8.39

- X52 Pro 7.0.53.6

But I can live with that situation, because I don't need to reconfigure vJoy frequently. I only need the one vJoy device for the slider (anti-jittered by FreePIE).

Edited by AstonMartinDBS

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro

• 2 weeks later...

The main difficult I'm facing is to set the throttle rotaries as a zoom inside DCS. The solution was to use the programming sw from Logitech and mapped them as bands with / and *. The problem is it is not precise. Also the mini mouse is impossible to use, at least for me.

The main difficult I'm facing is to set the throttle rotaries as a zoom inside DCS.

Why this? Try to use them native (without the Logitech software). Go into the DCS input options and assign your desired throttle rotary directly to the zoom-view in the axis-section. You have to turn the rotary 100 % left/right to assign it.

To eliminate jittering issues use additionally vJoy & FreePIE for your rotary.

[OS] Windows 11 Pro

• 3 months later...

Cannot manage to run vJoy under Windows 10 1903... any hints? Several tries to install/uninstall failed.

[OS] Windows 11 Pro

Not my comments below, but I gathered this info from the interwebs and am sharing them for the folks here having issues with Vjoy and Windows build 1903 and newer

http://vjoy.freeforums.net/thread/101/windows-1903-install-vjoy?page=3

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/windows-10-may-2019-update-has-been-released-to-the-public.255802/page-2

I've only tested it with true testsigning mode on build 1903. (It won't work on earlier builds so be sure you are on 1903 or newer.)

To enable true testsigning, turn off secure boot in your bios (if applicable) and run the following commands as admin command prompt:

bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks on

bcdedit /set testsigning on

bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

reboot

install unsigned pre-release driver vJoySetupUnsignedv31930.zip

https://github.com/R-T-B/vJoy/releases/tag/v3.19.3.0

To reverse:

bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks off

bcdedit /set testsigning off

bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

Yes, it's sort of hacky. But it works for now until we get something better.

Thx for that great instructions @Zyll!

But due to the watermark I'll wait for the release of cert drivers.

PS: This will leave an ugly watermark on your system in the lower right corner of your desktop. To disable that I've found this tool works well to remove it. It is virus free (but may falsely identify as one since it modifies system files):

winaero.com/download.php?view.1794

[OS] Windows 11 Pro

To enable true testsigning, turn off secure boot in your bios (if applicable) and run the following commands as admin command prompt:

bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks on

bcdedit /set testsigning on

bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

reboot

install unsigned pre-release driver vJoySetupUnsignedv31930.zip

https://github.com/R-T-B/vJoy/releases/tag/v3.19.3.0

To reverse:

bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks off

bcdedit /set testsigning off

bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

Does vJoy work after re-enabling the integrity-checks?

[OS] Windows 11 Pro

no, i don't believe so, but I didn't try to be honest. Just so you know, the watermark in question is on your desktop wallpaper only, it won't show in-game or if you have Chrome maximized or anything like that. Of course, if you have concerns about exposing your PC to potential malicious code while having integrity checks off, that's totally valid, and you need to weigh your comfort level with not being able to run vjoy.

Good news: it seems that cert vJoy-drivers for Win 10 1903 will be released in a few weeks!

Resources:

https://github.com/shauleiz/vJoy/issues/30

https://www.gofundme.com/f/code-signing-app-for-vjoy

[OS] Windows 11 Pro