Hat driven communication menu

Bullant

I use a combination of Voice Attack/VAICOM Pro and swearing whilst lifting my VR goggles and reaching for my keyboard when trying to use the in game communication system.

It came to me the other day, that there is a very simple solution to make the communication system infinitely more usable, especially for VR users.

Absolutely still keep the Function Key based menus, but introduce 4 new key mappings (that would ideally be mapped to a hat switch, I have one spare in mind on my joystick).

Up and Down to move a cursor up and down through the current list of options (could just "box" the currently selected item)

Left to go back

Right to select

Simples.

I think you would have a lot of very happy VR (and probably even non-VR) users if this change was made. Cheers :)

Edited by Bullant

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

+1

FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9 Dora, MiG-15bis , Mig-21bis, AJS-37 Viggen , M-2000C, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-14, Supercarrier, NTTR, Normandy+WW2 assets, Combined Arms, Persian Gulf

AMD Ryzen 2600x , ASUS Rog Strix B450-F, Corsair H100i, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3000MHz DDR4, MSI RTX 2070 8G, ASUS Xonar DSX, Samsung EVO 970 SSD , PSU - Corsair RM750, Headtracking - EDtracker Pro Wired, 58" Screen, TM Warthog, Windows 10 64bit Home

I found this https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=187330

But it doesn't seem to work with VR.

There's also a poll there with 124 "+1"s if that counts for anything ;)

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

I use a combination of Voice Attack Pro and swearing whilst lifting my VR goggles and reaching for my keyboard when trying to use the in game communication system.

It came to me the other day, that there is a very simple solution to make the communication system infinitely more usable, especially for VR users.

Absolutely still keep the Function Key based menus, but introduce 4 new key mappings (that would ideally be mapped to a hat switch, I have one spare in mind on my joystick).

Up and Down to move a cursor up and down through the current list of options (could just "box" the currently selected item)

Left to go back

Right to select

Simples.

I think you would have a lot of very happy VR (and probably even non-VR) users if this change was made. Cheers :)

You should definitely try out VAICOM, unless you already did. No communications menus at all. Only speaking, no buttons or keyboard presses. If you don't know what is is, it's a plugin to Voice Attack, and it has a free version with less features to try it out.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

You should definitely try out VAICOM, unless you already did. No communications menus at all. Only speaking, no buttons or keyboard presses. If you don't know what is is, it's a plugin to Voice Attack, and it has a free version with less features to try it out.

Yeah mate I use VAICOM, and I've spent hours "training" the voice engine. But I still find that sometimes it doesn't understand me, no matter how clearly I speak, and it is quite annoying running out of fuel before it will accept my "approaching for refuel" command lol.

Yeah mate I use VAICOM, and I've spent hours "training" the voice engine. But I still find that sometimes it doesn't understand me, no matter how clearly I speak, and it is quite annoying running out of fuel before it will accept my "approaching for refuel" command lol.
Well. It ain't VAICOM that doesn't understand you, nor Voice Attack. It's Microsoft Speech Recognition. It must be trained, and trained and then words and phrases, specially names, airfields ETC. must be added to the dictionary. And there are other tricks as well.

One idiotic thing I did was not making a new Speech recognition profile when I got a new microphone. That solved a lot.

Well, too bad it doesn't work for you. I can't live without it, and I ain't speaking English as my primary language.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

The OP wish, has been proposed before here (several times now probably). I really wish something like this would be implemented.

And, I know people mean well, but please stop offering "voice controlled" applications as a solution. Some of us are not able to use programs like this, because it would wake up their kids (which, believe me, you don't want to happen)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

The OP wish, has been proposed before here (several times now probably). I really wish something like this would be implemented.

And, I know people mean well, but please stop offering "voice controlled" applications as a solution. Some of us are not able to use programs like this, because it would wake up their kids (which, believe me, you don't want to happen)

Ok, if you do not want to use voice, then here is another suggestion. Requires a new peice of hardware though. Get one of these:

https://www.razer.com/eu-en/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-tartarus-pro?utm_source=google&utm_medium=search-brand&utm_campaign=_RS_TXN_BTM_EU__TR&gclid=CjwKCAjw7-P1BRA2EiwAXoPWA9mYrElnNkGMAKzRKwXvQC5Mu0nq5prvG6QqnT28_UTtNaOyY25eKhoCFRsQAvD_BwE

I have programmed all the function keys to it plus the button for the com menu and reset VR position. Just place it next to you throttle. It is not any more difficult to use then the switches on your throttle as long as you do not move it around all the time.

System: MSI Z370 | i7 8700K | 32GB DDR4 | RTX 2080Ti | TM Warthog | Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals | Oculus Rift S

Modules: FC3 | UH-1H | SA342 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | F-5E | A-10C | M-2000C | AV-8B | F/A-18C | F-14 | C-101 | F-86F | MiG-21 | MiG-19P | MiG-15 | F-16C | JF-17 | L-39 | Mi-8MTV2 | KA-50 | Christen Eagle II | Yak-52 | Bf 109 K-4 | NTTR | Normandie | Persian Gulf | The Channel

Ok, if you do not want to use voice, then here is another suggestion. Requires a new peice of hardware though. Get one of these:

https://www.razer.com/eu-en/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-tartarus-pro?utm_source=google&utm_medium=search-brand&utm_campaign=_RS_TXN_BTM_EU__TR&gclid=CjwKCAjw7-P1BRA2EiwAXoPWA9mYrElnNkGMAKzRKwXvQC5Mu0nq5prvG6QqnT28_UTtNaOyY25eKhoCFRsQAvD_BwE

I have programmed all the function keys to it plus the button for the com menu and reset VR position. Just place it next to you throttle. It is not any more difficult to use then the switches on your throttle as long as you do not move it around all the time.

Thanks for the suggestion (no sarcasm intended), but, just as the OP said, I wish ED implemented a simple up/down/left/right menu toggle, rather then spending €150,- on hardware or use a mod that may get corrupt after another DCS patch.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Just bind COMM1 and COMM2 menu to open/close with a hat switch. I use Up and Down on the Warthog throttle.

I already have proper bindings for the comm buttons. What I want is to be able to navigate the comm menus using bound keys, rather than having reach around trying to find the correct function key from inside my VR headset.

I already have proper bindings for the comm buttons. What I want is to be able to navigate the comm menus using bound keys, rather than having reach around trying to find the correct function key from inside my VR headset.

You not using mouse? The menu is clickable.

Intel i9-13900K : ASUS TUF RTX 4080 : 32GB G.Skill RipjawsV 4000 : TM HOTAS Warthog : HP Reverb G2

Are you using the Microsoft Speech Recogniser 8.0 English - US?

(in speech recognition properties).

I am using two other (VAC for DCS, VoxATC for <other_sim>) voice recognition products, and they improved considerably when I changed from UK to US. This could all be a placebo, but I strongly suspect that these types of programs depend on the US variant being used for some reason. Worth a try.

I am British, so don't speak "American", but the above change made a big difference. I realise that it sounds implausible, and that it could be due to something else, but I made no other changes that I'm aware of.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

You not using mouse? The menu is clickable.

Using VR mate, mouse is a PITA.

Plus .. I want to use my HOTAS as a HOTAS not a HOTASEWFFTM (HOTAS Except When Fumbling For The Mouse)

Are you using the Microsoft Speech Recogniser 8.0 English - US?

Just checked - I am using English - UK (as I am an Aussie), will give the US one a go.

Thanks for all the people making suggestions about using voice recognition, or the mouse, or whatever ... but I am asking in the nicest way possible if we can keep this thread on topic. I, along with many others, would really like to be able to drive the comms menu with controls that can be bound to button presses/keys. There are oodles of other threads talking about voice recognition solutions etc and believe me I have read most of them, but they don't solve the problem we are trying to solve here.

So I don't know if ED read this forum or reply to threads, but it would be nice to know if this is something that is possible/would be considered or is just never going to happen?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=218861 is probably going to be my next h/w purchase, as it should make flipping cockpit switches more like the real thing than using a traditional mouse.

As awesome as Miles' PointCTRL is, you won't be able to properly use it for the radio menu. I know, because I use it too. (the radio cursor works differently than the in cockpit cursor. Just as you won't be able to properly use PointCTRL in the main DCS menu. It does work amazing for cockpit cursor though)

But anyway, as AndrewW also is trying to say, this thread hasn't been started to ask for alternatives to operate the radio menu within current DCS possibilities.

We're wishing for an option to use a 4-way hat switch (or even the arrow keys on our keyboards for that matter), to scroll though and operate the radio menu. Implemented in the core game.

While I know ED is busy, it would sure be nice if one of the communication guys (Nineline? Bignewy?), could expand on this matter and let us know if there's something in the pipeline for radio menu improvements. It has been discussed and asked/wished for a lot on this forum.

System specs: