DTWD's Basic 'Make my god-damn game speak English' MOD

Please be aware this post contains 2 mods, they both do the same thing, but one more than the other, read carefully!

Designed to be installed with ModMan (a modifications handler, an absolute must for anyone)

ModMan can be found over at http://www.Check-Six.fr or by following this link (link correct at time of writing for 7.3)

Hello all,

These mods are for people who have upgraded to 1.0.2 but liked the fact that the old game spoke in English and made sense to them.

A break down of the mods is below:

DTWD's Basic 'Make my god-damn game speak English' MOD - American Accents + Russian Accented Betty

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DOWNLOAD via ED

The Mod Changes:

- All radio communication to English, unless mentioned below as American accented English (none mission specific)

- Pilot to Russian accented English (as in pre 1.0.2)

- Betty to Russian accented English (as in pre 1.0.2)

- All works regardless of coalition/side

DETAILS

----------

Changes the localizer config file to be purely English instead of a mish mash of Russian and English.

This has the happy outcome of switching all ground/ATC/Tankers etc to being (American) English instead of

Russian. It also changes the pilot voice (when using the radio) to be in Russian accented English.

The config modification (sadly) doesn't change Betty into English, so this MOD also replaces all* Betty sound

files with the Russian accented versions from pre 1.0.2. So Betty now speaks English, but sounds Russian.

* Sadly ED seem to have added some extra sound files since the 1.0.2 patch that refer to "board" and then a

number. I have no idea what this board is but the new "betty" would tell you a board number before a particular

warning. So for instance in pre 1.0.2 you would get "left engine fire" you now get something like "board 50 left

engine fire". I felt this slightly redundant as the pre patch betty never had it, and to be honest I don't care

(whatever it is) what board has got an issue with my engine fire, my main concern is the fact I am travely at over

200 kmph at 50ft and my left engine is having a self made bbq. Not only that if I left these new sounds in betty

would change voice to one that doesn't sound as good as the original, it would break the imersion and it adds

nothing to the experience. So I could just remove the numbers and the "board" sound, or instead (to make sure

BS still has a file to play) I could have inserted blank sound files, but in the end I decided to use the "warning"

word from another file to replace the numbers and "board". I always felt the fire warning should be precided by

the warning anyway, so here it is. If your really desperate for the board information it's still in the sub titles.

If you just want to back to as close as you can to pre 1.0.2 then you need my other MOD:

DTWD's Basic 'Make my god-damn game speak English' MOD - Russian Accents + Betty (just below)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DTWD's Basic 'Make my god-damn game speak English' MOD - Russian Accents + Betty

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DOWNLOAD via ED

The Mod Changes:

- All radio communication to English, unless mentioned below as American accented English (none mission specific)

- Pilot to Russian accented English (as in pre 1.0.2)

- Betty to Russian accented English (as in pre 1.0.2)

- Ground crew Russian accented English (as in pre 1.0.2)

- Tower to Russian accented English (as in pre 1.0.2)

- All works regardless of coalition/side

DETAILS

----------

Changes the localizer config file to be purely English instead of a mish mash of Russian and English.

This has the happy outcome of switching all ground/ATC/Tankers etc to being (American) English instead of

Russian. It also changes the pilot voice (when using the radio) to be in Russian accented English.

The config modification (sadly) doesn't change Betty into English, so this MOD also replaces all* Betty sound

files with the Russian accented versions from pre 1.0.2. So Betty now speaks English, but sounds Russian.

This version of the MOD also goes one step further and replaces the (American) English ground crew

audio files with the Russian accented ground crew from the pre 1.0.2 patch.

Not only that but this version of the MOD also replaces all** ATC (American) English audio files with the

Russian accented English ones from pre 1.0.2.

* Sadly ED seem to have added some extra sound files since the 1.0.2 patch that refer to "board" and then a

number. I have no idea what this board is but the new "betty" would tell you a board number before a particular

warning. So for instance in pre 1.0.2 you would get "left engine fire" you now get something like "board 50 left

engine fire". I felt this slightly redundant as the pre patch betty never had it, and to be honest I don't care

(whatever it is) what board has got an issue with my engine fire, my main concern is the fact I am travely at over

200 kmph at 50ft and my left engine is having a self made bbq. Not only that if I left these new sounds in betty

would change voice to one that doesn't sound as good as the original, it would break the imersion and it adds

nothing to the experience. So I could just remove the numbers and the "board" sound, or instead (to make sure

BS still has a file to play) I could have inserted blank sound files, but in the end I decided to use the "warning"

word from another file to replace the numbers and "board". I always felt the fire warning should be precided by

the warning anyway, so here it is. If your really desperate for the board information it's still in the sub titles.

**Again sadly ED has added some extra audio files that weren't present in pre 1.0.2, however these appear to be

mostly fixed wing related (glide slope etc) and probably won't be spoken by ATC when playing Black Shark.

If you just want a Russian accented English speaking Betty but you would rather have the American

accented English ground crew and ATC then you need my other MOD:

DTWD's Basic 'Make my god-damn game speak English' MOD - American Accents + Russian Accented Betty (The one at the top of the page)

Edited by DTWD
Editing for clarity.
  • Like 3

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great - now I can cancel that Community Ed Russian class I'd signed up for...

Thanks, Paul - I am sure a lot of people will appreciate the effort you've made here.

Zenra

Intel i7 930 2.8GHz; ATI HD5850 1GB; 1TB Serial ATA-II; 12GB DDR3-1333; 24 x DL DVD+/-RW Drive; 800W PSU; Win7-64; TM Warthog HOTAS

I did this myself by manually copy/pasting sound files. Thanks for the more elegant solution. dl'd and WIN

Sim Rig || Pics 2010 |

PC 2019 || 8600K @ 4.8GHz | RTX2080ti OC | 32GB RAM @3000 | 500GB SSD | Win10 64bit |

PC 2010 || 2600K @ 3.4GHz | Zotac GTX680 | 8GB RAM | Win7 64bit Ultimate SP1 |

Cockpit || Joystick: T.16000M | Pedals: Logitech G25 | Throttle & Collective: Logitech Attack3 Modded | Button Box: G25 Shifter |

Cockpit || HP Reverb VR | Custom Frame & Seat | 3x Bass Shaker | 2:1 Game Sound | 2x Rear Head Rest Speakers Comms/Music |

The mod does a few more things than just overwriting files, but the bulk is just that. I just wanted an undo-able way, so doing it for ModMan seemed like the ideal solution.

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 8 months later...

The language in the missions is part of the mission and not something you can over-ride. This mod basically takes the game back to v1.01 when Betty and the GC (etc) spoke English.

As for the mission speech, I was planning on re-recording all of it into Russian accented English, but it was so time consuming that after the first mission I gave up. I might start again if the requirement was there, but I think most people have moved onto WH.

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I realised that it was part of the mission itself, and therefore not so simple to just mod. It wasn't intended as a criticism of your work.

Oh don't worry, I didn't take offence, I was just letting you know :)

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...