I Don't Understand

guitarwiz1

This is from the flight manual pg. 487

 Move throttles forward slowly as required to start forward movement.

 Use the rudder pedals to steer the aircraft left and right; do not use differential braking to steer.

 Taxi speed should be between 15 and 25 knots.

While taxiing, the canopy should never be opened or closed while turning.

 Use the toe brakes to slow and stop the aircraft.

I'm so confused. What do I do?

How do I turn the aircraft with the canopy opened? (or closed) :doh:

It means you should never operate the canopy mechanism while turning.

In truth, in the real plane I'm pretty sure you're not permitted to taxi the plane if the canopy is not down and locked. The hydraulic system that holds it up is a dinky little thing and the canopy is very heavy - you could easily bend the rod.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

In truth, in the real plane I'm pretty sure you're not permitted to taxi the plane if the canopy is not down and locked. The hydraulic system that holds it up is a dinky little thing and the canopy is very heavy - you could easily bend the rod.

You see in vids A-10's taxing all the time with open canopy. (Something to do with Air Con isn't it)

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

Two things...

1) Our pilots taxi all the time real world with the canopy open.

2) The canopy in the A-10 isn't hydraulicly actuated it's an electrical actuator. The canopy actuator on the A-10 is actually very large compared to say an F-15 which yes, an F-15 you don't taxi with the canopy opened.

• Like 2

Opening the canopy, does it signal something (to the tower or other pilots)? Or they just open it for some other reason?

One that i can think of is that, with a large area of plexiglass (or whatever the canopy is made of) encasing a small volume of air, the encased volume tends to heat up rapidly under radiation, and IIRC, the environmental systems need a certain amount of bleed air to really kick in, ergo, if the sun is burning down on your canopy and your sitting on the taxiway with idling engines, you're essentially being cooked like a goose.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Cockpit Actuator

@Paulrkiii or anyone else knowledgeable:

Is it correct that the canopy actuator is simulated so that can be operated with no power systems active?

No track provided, just load the stock ramp start mission and before doing anything else, hit the canopy button.

Niiiniiniingh, canopy closed. No power whatsoever.

D'oh or directly wired to the battery?

I imagine the latter (how would you open a cold, closed aircraft?)

Thanks!

Supersheep

Is it correct that the canopy actuator is simulated so that can be operated with no power systems active?

Thanks!

Supersheep

I would imagine the canopy actuator would be hot off the batt bus? You walk out to a cold jet, open the boarding ladder panel, extend the ladder, there must be a switch to open the canopy so you can climb in and turn on external or APU power...

Just checked the a-10a manual...

TO 1A-10A-1 says:

"Normal raising or lowering of the canopy is accomplished by control switches, from inside or outside the aircraft (figure 1-24). The canopy is opened and closed by an actuator that operates on battery bus power."

Pg 1-48 and 1-49

Now who wants to try draining EDs virtual Hawg battery by opening and closing the canopy repeatedly with no power turned on... ;)

Edited by Lobo_63
  • Like 1

In most light civil aircraft airflow is of the ram variety. I can tell you that a Diamond DA-20 can get hotter than the devil's bawlsack until you get it in the air. :devil_2:

I know, i've done a few flights with small GA planes. ;)

Sidenote: On older warbirds, you can often see the pilots taking off with the canopy slid open.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I nearly always open the canopy for taxxing. Never read the manual. Dont care. Love the sound of the canopy opening and closing and the corrseponding increase / decrease in noise. I think ED did a really outstanding job with this, you can almost smell the jet fuel at the same time as opening it. REALLy adds to the immersion. Well done ED!

Technical Specs: Asus G73JW gaming laptop... i7-740QM 1.73GHz ... GTX460m 1.5GB ... 8GB DDR5 RAM ... Win7 64 ... TIR5 ... Thrustmaster T16000m

• ED Team

No track provided, just load the stock ramp start mission and before doing anything else, hit the canopy button.

Thanks!

Supersheep

Canopy actuator is always connected to the battery disregarding the cockpit battery switch position.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

К чему стадам дары свободы?

Их должно резать или стричь.

Наследство их из рода в роды

Ярмо с гремушками да бич.

Thanks!

Supersheep

All aircraft with electrically actuated canopies are like that. Imagine how difficult it would be if you needed ground power to get in the pit. Some aircraft have mechanical actuated canopies, for example the T-38. The F-15 uses a hydraulic accumulator, which sucks if you loose pressure. F-16 and F-117 both used/use electric actuators.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

The F-15 uses a hydraulic accumulator, which sucks if you loose pressure.

You can't beat cranking the hand pump when it's cold, pissing down with rain and blowing a gale. :D

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

I nearly always open the canopy for taxxing. Never read the manual. Dont care. Love the sound of the canopy opening and closing and the corrseponding increase / decrease in noise. I think ED did a really outstanding job with this, you can almost smell the jet fuel at the same time as opening it. REALLy adds to the immersion. Well done ED!

I agree and lowering the incockpit sounds to 75 really makes closing the canopy a necessity. :thumbup: Just installed 1.1.1.0 and the new canopy sounds alone are excellent!!What I also like is when you turn to look at your rear left or right side and the engine sound slightly changes.Its a superb effect that reminds me of when I get a window seat right next to the engines in a commercial airliner.The only effect missing is the slight shuddering planes do.

"Its easy,place the pipper on target and bombs away." :pilotfly:

i7-8700k/GTX 1080ti/VKB-GladiatorPRO/VKB-T-rudder Pedals/Saitek X55 throttle

You can't beat cranking the hand pump when it's cold, pissing down with rain and blowing a gale. :D

Hand pump only on D/E models, C models you have pick the thing up... or so I'm told by my F-15 subject matter expert.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

The canopy is opened because unless it's freezing or extremely hot it's cooler than having it closed even with the AC on high while on the ground.

There is an external battery switch on the ACFT, with that pinned no, you can't open the ladder door or open the canopy. Pull the pin, the switch is spring loaded to the ON position, pop open the ladder door and open the canopy.

Even real world you would be hard pressed to drain the battery just by opening/closing the canopy. You would burn up the actuator first. Remember the A-10 starts the APU using only battery power all the time and we only remove the battery on a scheduled interval for checks. I have seen the battery die but that is because someone left the battery switch in the cockpit in the ON position.