Autonomous CAP and GCI AI fighter script

SNAFU

From memory that should only affect the first group of CAP aircraft at the start of the mission. Basically it was to either have them on the runway ready to roll and heading for their cap zone after take off (when it is set to 0) or to spawn already in the zone (set to 1).

There should also be a spawn style parameter where you choose what should happen for all other groups. This can be set so groups spawn onto the ramp, the runway or already airborne - the variable used be Spawnmode in the old script. The mission designer needs to set these two parms to suit what they want to happen in their mission.

I don't believe lukrop changed the functionality of the script in this regard even though the code to achieve it changed. Could have a bug in his code of course as happens to everyone.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From memory that should only affect the first group of CAP aircraft at the start of the mission. Basically it was to either have them on the runway ready to roll and heading for their cap zone after take off (when it is set to 0) or to spawn already in the zone (set to 1).

There should also be a spawn style parameter where you choose what should happen for all other groups. This can be set so groups spawn onto the ramp, the runway or already airborne - the variable used be Spawnmode in the old script. The mission designer needs to set these two parms to suit what they want to happen in their mission.

I don't believe lukrop changed the functionality of the script in this regard even though the code to achieve it changed. Could have a bug in his code of course as happens to everyone.

I'll do some more experimenting tomorrow. I didn't have as much time to play with it as I would have liked this week. Tomorrow I'll set the First group to spawn airborne and then the rest to spawn on ramp.

Edit...

Home from work now and I re read this message and realize now what you're talking about. The single setting to spawn the first group airborne or from parking is what may be horked...(the 0/1 setting) not the settings found below that line for the rest of the flights.

Sierra

Edited by Sierra99

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Hey Stonehouse is there a signifigant difference between your script and lukrop's? I see both mentioned almost interchangeable.

Sierra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

They are the same in concept as lukrop wrote his script using the functionality of the old one for his design base. Setups are basically the same from what I recall so probably can be switched with minimal effort. His code does things completely differently though so while the net result is similar there are some differences. Quirks if you will.

If you are seeing just the first CAP group start on the runway rather than out in their CAP zone it probably isn't that it is borked just that you need to change the startairborne flag to 1 if the latter is your preference. If you have the spawn mode set to spawn GCI and CAPs on the ramp and they instead appear on the runway then perhaps there is an issue. There are a whole block of parameters at the head of the script for the mission designer to customise to get the behaviour they want.

Edited by Stonehouse

They are the same in concept as lukrop wrote his script using the functionality of the old one for his design base. Setups are basically the same from what I recall so probably can be switched with minimal effort. His code does things completely differently though so while the net result is similar there are some differences. Quirks if you will.

I ended up using lukrop's script. I'm not sure what the differences are but for the basic's, its working for me...

Is it possible to modify the script for Helicopters? It would be cool to be able to add some AI Mi-24 and KA-50 CAS missions into the mix.

Sierra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Hi S99,

Helicopter and aircraft are different categories so they are not interchangeable without modifying the script. Tasking and waypoints work differently too.

Soooooooooo what you're saying is it can be done...just gonna take some work to do it...

:music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

So I was away for a few months from mission building, coming back now... Absolutely love this script. I remember it was on a future hope list for a way to have the ai fighters "knock it off" and not over pursue. I don't think that has been discovered yet but just wanted to check. Even if it's outside this script, does anyone have a way they have made something like that work?

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group One | Discord

Soooooooooo what you're saying is it can be done...just gonna take some work to do it...

:music_whistling:

Introducing CAS missions and Helo's would be essentially creating parallel versions of GCICAP with the appropriate skew as the waypoint actions, mission profiles etc etc are totally different - so pretty much "some work" really is a lot of work in translation. It was on the list at the time I was working on it and I had test bed recon stuff reporting sea, ground contacts as per the GCI radars so theoretically could then have generated cas flights (which was the aim) but that was a long, long while ago now, perhaps contact lukrop and see if he is keen?

So I was away for a few months from mission building, coming back now... Absolutely love this script. I remember it was on a future hope list for a way to have the ai fighters "knock it off" and not over pursue. I don't think that has been discovered yet but just wanted to check. Even if it's outside this script, does anyone have a way they have made something like that work?

If you are talking about a cold war situation and stopping the pursuit continuing too far into your airspace then that was another one on the to do list that didn't get done. Probably the easiest way would be to RTB the interceptors once they get into the opposing air defence territory as long as it is a cold war.

Edited by Stonehouse

I actually meant a code change to the GCICAP script to force them to return to base. You'd need to talk to lukrop these days.

Hello, I use this script for my template. I am a beginer with the mission editor.

I do not know how to make a LUA script. I managed to hide airplane when they go back to their side. The IA cannot see them and they don't shoot, but sometimes they carry on full ab all straight forward.

Is there a better solution? I red about forcing them RTB like you said. But how should I Do.

Sorry for my english, I try my best! :)

A present I believe that the current script will not stop an interception once the aircraft is assigned to the target unless the intercepting aircraft is low on fuel or out of ammo. The only real solution is to contact Lukrop and ask him to modify his script so that if borders are turned on interceptors will RTB when they pursue their target across a border.

Is all the hotwar/coldwar stuff gone for this version of the script (lukrops), I have a fully dynamic campaign running right now and would like the bases to cap/gci defend themselves without creating a red and blue cap zone for each and every base, since any base can be captured by blue OR red side, so the fronts change dynamically

Developer of DDCS MP Engine, dynamicdcs.com

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=208608

As far as I am aware the borders are still defined by the path of a late activation unit that never spawns and are therefore static. The best available at present is the ability to change the variable controlling hot/cold borders using an in mission trigger. eg at a certain point the cold war goes hot. To do what you want Drexx would require more code changes to use something else (probably use airbases and ownership) to define the border. Add an enhancement request to lukrop's github site is my suggestion.

Essentially the redborder and blueborder waypoint path would need to be redefined every time territory changed. I guess you could try rebuilding their flight path on the fly via another script but in a hot war situation it doesn't really matter about borders.

What matters then is the radar unit locations and airbases. One of the last wip versions I was doing did take into account airbases changing hands and would spawn GCI and CAP on newly captured bases. I didn't release it because of other bugs remaining and stopped work on it in the end as there was no point. I guess perhaps you could start with a radar unit placed at each base and when one changed hands use another script to destroy any of the old owners radars within a given radius of the base and spawn in a new one for the new owners. That way radar coverage would be aligned to the airbases you hold. No idea if lukrop's version is checking for dynamic base ownership. That would tend to generally move the front and the CAPs and GCIs along with it I think.

Hey Quick Question...

The instructions state the CAPGCI script must be the first thing loaded following MIST. Does this mean it must be the first > MIST < script and other triggers can be set or does it literally have to be the second thing loaded?

I ask because I'd like to develop a mission where the CAP CGI assets don't go active until AFTER an F-117A strikes a a target. Can I set the script to run later provided no other scripts are running?

Sierra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

It has to be loaded after Mist. For me it does work loaded as third after CTLD and EWRS.

My Hardware: ROG Strix X570-F Gaming - AMD 5600X @ 4.7 ghz - G.SKILL TRIDENT 32GB DDR4 3200 (14-14-14-34 CL) - GigaByte 3080ti OC 12gb - Corsair MP600 Force 1TB - 2 x EVO Nvme 500GB - Virpil Warbird Base T-50CM2 and TM Throttle + Trackhat + G25 + AOC AG271QG 27"

My Modules: JF-17, F-16C, AV-8N/A, F-18C, ASJ37, MiG-15Bis, MiG-21Bis, Fw-190D, Bf-109K, P-51D, F-86F, Ka-50 III, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, NS430, FC3, A-10C, Mirage 2000C, L-39, F-5E-3, SA342, Spitfire, AH-64, Mirage F-1CE.

My Maps: Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria, South Atlantic.

It has to be loaded after Mist. For me it does work loaded as third after CTLD and EWRS.

Perhaps a better question to ask is can I use a trigger such as unit inside zone or unit dead to load the CAPGCI scritp? (Provided it's still the first trigger following mist).

Sierra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

It's a bit of a grey area for the first. You should be ok but I always used to specify mist then GCICAP as it minimises the chances of other scripts clashing with GCICAP. Realistically this mostly comes down to global variables and table names that might accidently be in common between GCICAP and some other script. So the more scripts you have between mist and GCICAP the more chance for a conflict. On your second question yes you should be able to - a mission start trigger is a trigger after all - but realise that a mission start trigger fires before anything else in the mission happens and therefore any pauses etc etc are already done before the players see it. It is the reason why I advise people to use a mission start trigger to load scripts like mist and GCICAP rather than the once, time +1 method. The once trigger loads the scripts after the mission starts.

Anyway so the quality of your results may vary and it's going to be all trial and error but technically it should work I believe.

Thanks Stonehouse. I was worried it was something along the lines of " you have to do it this way because..." and I didn't want to waste a bunch of time mucking about with it if I was just gonna cover ground already covered to no good end.

I'll play with different triggers and timing a bit and let y'all know what I discover.

Sierra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't looked at it (for a long time especially on Nevada) but only thought that comes to mind is that assuming all your set up is correct that the addition of the extra airfields may have broken something to do with coalition.getAirbases. If this doesn't return the airfields properly or something in the values returned has changed and the script can no longer deal with it then the script will not be able to correctly place GCI or CAP groups on bases.