DCS Mirage 2000C Discussion

Bluedrake42

It has already been answered in this thread but no. The C-model is a fighter with only limited A2G capability.

One of the devs posted this though.

The real aircraft in which our model is based has RDI radar, carries Magic II and Super 530, Air to Ground ordnance, can truck LGBs but cannot carry the targeting pod, has internal radar jammer.

It also can fire the AS-37 ARMAT and the AM-39 EXOCET.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not, what is preventing that? Especially as the LGB is dropped like dumb iron bombs anyways - as I understood it (it = the fact that there is no lazing ability on this aircraft).

It's the same weapon Gbu 12 is just a mark 82 with a pave way kit which is independent of the carrier.

Different drag. The 2KC computer can not handle different drag for AS payload. Everything must be the same. So you can't carry both MK82 and GBU 12 at the same time, period.

The Mirage 2000 C RDI was THE French Air Force Interceptor. Pilot training was 80% AA and 20% AG.

This not a F/A-18 Hornet.

RDI radar doesn't have Sea mode necessary to find target. And FAF doesn't perform anti ship mission...French Navy only.

Exocet is specific to Greek Mirage 2000 EG.

Armat/ Martel ARM missile has been showcased on Mirage 2000 for marketing purpose. Yet I don't know any country who purchased it for its Mirage 2000.

So don't expect too much for these 2 missiles...

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

The Mirage 2000 C RDI was THE French Air Force Interceptor. Pilot training was 80% AA and 20% AG.

This not a F/A-18 Hornet.

RDI radar doesn't have Sea mode necessary to find target. And FAF doesn't perform anti ship mission...French Navy only.

Exocet is specific to Greek Mirage 2000 EG.

Armat/ Martel ARM missile has been showcased on Mirage 2000 for marketing purpose. Yet I don't know any country who purchased it for its Mirage 2000.

So don't expect too much for these 2 missiles...

Well the devs said what they said. :)

Fingers crossed that they deliver these 2 missiles, it would make the DCS Mirage 2000 a very unique plane in DCS World.

I strongly hope that the dev keep the realism a priority.

If french AF mirage 2000C can't fire exocet, don't make it possible to shoot it.

If they want it to be able to do so, please model greek variant with the additional avionics.

Same goes for Martel

Nobody wants the DCS A10C to be able to fire AIM 120, so why would they want the Mirage to shoot something it can't.

There is a difference between "air force did not purchase/ train to use..." and "aircraft can't fire." Martel and ARMAT and ALARM have their own radar locator, so you can use them on a Sea Harrier, Jaguar, or Tornado GR.x (and other planes) without installing equipment on the plane.

(Downside = each missile is expensive.)

The HARM (at least the old versions) needs an F-4G or Tornado ECR etc. with radar localization equipment installed in the airplane.

With an Exocet, you "just" need to fly close enough that the Exocet's own radar can get a lock on, or you can program coordinates for its inertial nav system.

Edited by emg

Mirage 2000 is a family of airplanes, with roughly the same airframe but differents weapon systems.

Mirage 2000 C RDI is one of them, with late 80'/ early 90' technology, and one shouldn't expect to find all Mirage 2000 family into one airframe.

It would be the same as giving F-15C the same capacities as F-15E...

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

I think it's safe to say that if the Mirage 2000C S-5 had the capability to fire those missiles (whether the French, or whoever, employed said missiles or not) then we will get the capability to fire those missiles. Of course that goes both ways. If it did not have the capability to fire said missiles, then we won't get that capability. But as far as I'm aware, the devs have said that it does have the capability to use the missiles in question. As has been said, it's not so much a question of whether anyone used them on the particular variant that we're getting, but more a question of whether that variant has the capability or not.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mirage 2000 is a family of airplanes, with roughly the same airframe but differents weapon systems.

Mirage 2000 C RDI is one of them, with late 80'/ early 90' technology, and one shouldn't expect to find all Mirage 2000 family into one airframe.

It would be the same as giving F-15C the same capacities as F-15E...

You don't need tech in the aircraft to fire an ARMAT or Exocet, because their internal sensors can find targets without help from the aircraft. You still need a way for the pilot to communicate with the weapon, though.

This is not the same thing as giving an F-15C a targeting pod, high-res displays, ground mapping radar modes, advanced ECM with radar localizers etc.

Edited by emg

If it requires different hardware then on the real mirage 2000C i would say don't model the Exocet and ARMAT.

But... If it is just a software update in the aircraft so it can recognise it's stores and give the search and fire commands to the missiles, I don't see a problem modeling it. You can always disable the missiles in the mission editor.

You don't need tech in the aircraft to fire an ARMAT or Exocet, because their internal sensors can find targets without help from the aircraft. You still need a way for the pilot to communicate with the weapon, though.

This is not the same thing as giving an F-15C a targeting pod, high-res displays, ground mapping radar modes, advanced ECM with radar localizers etc.

Let me ask you how do you know what it requires to launch Exocet or Martel from a Mirage 2000 C RDI ?

Provided that the RDI radar doesn't have SEA mode to find target, have you any knowledge or documentation to code the procedure with a snooper selecting a target ship and transmitting coordinates to strike aircraft ?

AS37 Martel is not designed to strike opportunity target. You had 3 different seekers depending on target radar. It was designed to strike a known and located target. Even then it was nit a peace of cake, it requires specific maneuver to be sure of the target.

The Iraqis bought it for their Mirage F1 under the name of "Bazar"...they were not very satisfied and did nit make large use of it.

In French service Jaguar A used it against warning radar of a Libyan base in northern Chad called Ouadi Doum. It was a succes but complicated mission, with Atlantic maritime patrol aircraft acting as command post thanks to its ESM sensor.

If Jaguar didn't have efficient RWR, it has a lot of empty place to accommodate specific weapon electronic of all kind. Something the Mirage 2000 doesn't have.

And even Jaguar didn't try to perform ARM mission in late 90' over Bosnia/ Serbia.

Last but not least, I would like anyone to give me evidence of at least firing test of Martel from Mirage 2000 E. It's 100% sure a Mirage 2000 C RDI was never anticipated as firing platform for ARM missiles.

Bottom line is : what some think is easy...is not.

Mirage fanatic !

for people with facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RazbamSims/posts/879198672166772

for people without: "We got some news regarding the M2000C for DCS...a pre-order (discounted) option will be available pretty soon!, stay tunned"

Fantastic news! Great to see things coming together, this is one of my favorite pending modules.

I'm in for a pre-sale, best one offered since I started with DCS!

-Nick

Folks don't fight. The aircraft development is evolving all the time. The final capabilities are not set in stone yet.

BTW, here is an image of an AFM test flight:

11942306_879248645495108_707117530899438683_o.jpg

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

How is 2000C maneuvrability vs F-15?

Quite favorable from what I've read. The Mirage has a really impressive instantaneous turn rate, but sustained turn performance leads to more rapid loss of airspeed than say an F-16. It's known to be a wily opponent for US Aircrews.

Also, with things moving along on the development side, it's worth resurrecting this video:

Great footage for the Mirage enthusiast!

-Nick

Edited by BlackLion213

Folks don't fight. The aircraft development is evolving all the time. The final capabilities are not set in stone yet.
Thanks for the testing screenshots. If you are looking for some additional capabilities for the DCS version, I found photos of French Mirage 2000C RDI with double ejector racks on the centerline and inboard wing pylons.

Loading GBU-12 (double ejector in shadow on centerline):

55a78d3d3bdc9.jpg

Double ejector on inboard wing pylons with Belouga cluster bombs:

3401178246_a3e1e884c9_o_zps9418bff3.jpg

You can tell they are 2000C RDI (S4/S5) by the gray painted nose with pitot probe. RDM versions had a black nose and RDY versions don't have the nose pitot.

Training bomb rack:

ob_262de8_mirage-2000c.jpg

Intertechnique 231-300 used by 2000C S5-2C (nose pitot faintly visible).

pod_ravito.jpg

I know some of my stuff was more controversial in the past, but these ones are verifiably RDI material.

Edited by VincentLaw

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[...]

Also, with things moving along on the development side, it's worth resurrecting this video:

Great footage for the Mirage enthusiast!

-Nick

Lol, I just had the same idea, then I saw your post :D

Well almost the same. I wanted to post this one which is slightly different but has better quality:

;)

That movie was awesome! Well, the flying was awesome (all real with great support from the Armée de l’air, no CGI!) while the story was ... meh. But the air shots are the best ever seen in a movie I think.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Well this is probably my Nr.1 Video from that movie.

It has alot more of the flight scenes.

It might have every single (interesting) flight scene in the movie.

Together with Decently fitting music.

Its required for all fans of the Mirage 2000 to watch that video begining to end (yes its 13 minutes but its worth it)

I just wish this movie had had a "Good" story.

=( it had such good flying Scenes that the story kinda spoils it.

Comon i can even come out with a story on this short notice.

For example France still has a decent number of overseas territories so why not make a movie with a Fictional conflict where French mirages are defending the "Colony"

Lets take to Fictional Scenarios just quickly.

Nr1 south America.

With Brazil Deciding to invade French Guiana with French Mirages fighting to defend it against the Brazil airforce (Either Using F-5Es Mirage IIIs or Mirage 2000 Depending on what time frame u pick)

Or you could Make it in Africa with French forces Defending Reunion/Mauritius from a generic African nation deciding they want some new islands.

Anything like that would be cooler then the story of the movie =P

Anyway slightly offtopic xD

I cant wait for this Module to come out =>

Edited by mattebubben