Gunsight radar ranging

MBot

I admit I haven't read the complete manual yet, but after flying the training missions I wonder if the gunsight features any automatical radar ranging for employing the gun (like the Sabre). It seem that the range to shoot the gun is fixed in the gunsight (by setting target wingspan and flying the target into matching the pipper diameter).

I still haven't found out how to properly aim rockets or guns A/G. The pipper seems to be fixed on a certain distance, but it's definately a lot higher than the scale provides. As soon as the needle runs down, all my shots come in way too long. I'm just wondering, somehow it must be able to do some very basic CCIP like calculation (no corrections for wind, elevation, ground slope, whatsoever) of the impact point as it does exactly that in bomb mode already.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I am somewhat surprised that there indeed doesn't seem to be an ability to automatically change size of pipper by radar range information for air to air gunnery since even the Saber has this. Well it will be an adventure to be an accurate aerial gunner with the MiG :)

It seems pretty darn good for air to ground though, aside from needing to get within 2 km to get a good pipper solution due to radar ranging limitations.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

According to the manual (page 147 in the EN .pdf) the wingspan diameter will match at exactly 300 meters distance.

This means, if you set your wingspan to 10m and the target is 300m, it will fill the circle arround the piper.

The radar does not do anything in this process. There is no range input from the radar when using the guns air-to-air.

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

The gunsight does not have radar ranging for Air-to-Air gunning. It is calculating lead for the fixed distance of 300m.

That is what I suspected along the way. But it is still intriguing considering range is adjustable with the trottle controller in manual mode. So why not update it like with the radar?