MiG-21Bis tutorial series

xxJohnxx

Hi,

As always great video. I want only correct small thing this relates developers work, not your video. Like we know from your video, counter do not show distance from NDB emitter. I don't know why developers not implemented in game, but in reality almost all MiG-21 equipped with ARK-10 or ARK-10M radio compass had this capability. Only some poor variants for Arabic countries lack it. For example a drawing from original MiG-21M pilot manual:

2b915ea215fac7d9m.png

Inside red rectangle we can see element with description: " ARK-10 radio compass distance reader". Below photo of real cockpit:

9e6833fae20fab2am.jpg

This reader can be found even in oldest variant - MiG-21F. I hope for quick fix this problem in DCS MiG-21.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

It has been a while, but today I got another video for you:

It covers how to use the RWR and the Flare dispensers. While this might not be new to you, I also try to show some tactics on how to make the RWR just a tad more effective.

Hope you can enjoy it!

John

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

Good tutorial, thanks! Didn't know that yellow light is related to IFF, good to know :thumbup: The manual says that this light is Aircraft distance transponder SOD-57, googled also and wiki says ATC transponder, a little confused what this actually is :huh: Btw, is that RV3 button modelled and what it does? (Aircraft distance transponder channels selector switch)

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 4080 Super * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

The manual says that this light is Aircraft distance transponder SOD-57, googled also and wiki says ATC transponder, a little confused what this actually is Btw, is that RV3 button modelled and what it does? (Aircraft distance transponder channels selector switch)

Uhh, that is a good point actually. I will have to look this up, but I guess you are right, the SOD-57 is actually just related to the ATC transponder. It looks like the SRO-2 is the IFF transponder.

I actually tried to get the light blinking again, and even with different radar setups (aircraft, SAM search radars, early warning radars) I didn't manage it to blink though I remember it blinking some time ago. I am not sure what the reason for that is. Does anyone know an example where the lights start to blink during the current version of DCS?

Not sure about the transponder channel selector, but I assume it doesn't do much in the simulator.

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

There is three SRZO-2 lights in the lower right panel (RV36), maybe the lowest light (decipher) recognises friendly IFF, have to test later.

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 4080 Super * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

I actually tried to get the light blinking again, and even with different radar setups (aircraft, SAM search radars, early warning radars) I didn't manage it to blink though I remember it blinking some time ago. I am not sure what the reason for that is. Does anyone know an example where the lights start to blink during the current version of DCS?

simulator.

Made a quick test near Batumi AB and I managed to blink it after setupping the correct RSBN channel (16 for Batumi). And tried that RV3 SOD channel selector button, it blinks faster / slower with different settings. Maybe this transponder tells you that ATC is seeing you :D Now, have to go work ->

• Like 1

Nice episode of the tutorial, but I'd like to point out that ASO dispensers can contain chaff. Actually the default loadout (which can be altered in the first tab of airplane properties in mission editor) is 32 flares and 32 chaff loads, the latter can be clearly seen in external camera.

I was expecting some turorial tips for avoiding radar-guided missiles (cause I still don't know if DCS models chaff functionality at all), so I'm a bit disappointed :D. Waiting for the next part!

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Made a quick test near Batumi AB and I managed to blink it after setupping the correct RSBN channel (16 for Batumi). And tried that RV3 SOD channel selector button, it blinks faster / slower with different settings. Maybe this transponder tells you that ATC is seeing you :D Now, have to go work ->

That is interesting indeed. In the end it probably doesn't matter to much for the simulator, but good to know!

Nice episode of the tutorial, but I'd like to point out that ASO dispensers can contain chaff. Actually the default loadout (which can be altered in the first tab of airplane properties in mission editor) is 32 flares and 32 chaff loads, the latter can be clearly seen in external camera.

Okay, thanks for the info! Didn't really know that, but I will add it to the video! :)

I was expecting some turorial tips for avoiding radar-guided missiles (cause I still don't know if DCS models chaff functionality at all), so I'm a bit disappointed :D. Waiting for the next part!

Yeah, I wanted to do the radar-guided missiles and chaff together with the jammer, that isn't working currently. I also hoped to do some tests then, to check if chaff and jamming would help at all against radar guided missiles.

Just for a bit of intermediate information, I summed up my knowledge about radar missile avoidance in the comments to the video. Not sure if everything applies 100% to DCS, but at least that's what I know.

If you have any more suggestions, please let me know! :thumbup:

I can's suggest much, because I came to DCS just a year ago, strictly for WWII and Korean birds. MiG is the only exception, but it's also "oldschool". So I know a lot about things which go "wrrrooom" and "pew pew pew", but I don't know much about things which go "wooooshhhh" and modern countermeaures (not to mentioned how simplified their modelling in DCS is currently). Hence my dependence on other people's DCS tutorials :D.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 2 weeks later...

Would it be possible to do a tutorial on non-essential systems, like heating-topic - PITOT, de-freezing cockpit, what effect if any has helmet heating and so on? Then the engine cone stuff, management and so on?

The guide you get with the game, both the printed and the ingame tutorial, is sadly pretty uninformative on how to start and use the non-essential systems.

Also, any tip on how to fly steady? Even with no load my 21 rolls to the right and sadly there is no trim option, only up and down trim. It's pretty annoying, plus it eliminates any close formation flying for me cause if I don't pay attention for even a secon I'll be rolling.

Thanks!

Would it be possible to do a tutorial on non-essential systems, like heating-topic - PITOT, de-freezing cockpit, what effect if any has helmet heating and so on? Then the engine cone stuff, management and so on?

Good idea. I will see what I can come up with in this regard. I have already been thinking about doing some videos about special procedures like operating some of the automatic systems in the manual mode, however I haven't been sure how much interest there is for in-depth stuff like that.

Definitely will reconsider that and have a look on what I could come up with.

Also, any tip on how to fly steady? Even with no load my 21 rolls to the right and sadly there is no trim option, only up and down trim. It's pretty annoying, plus it eliminates any close formation flying for me cause if I don't pay attention for even a secon I'll be rolling.

Not really much on that front, no. I guess it is just how it is with the MiG. Us not having full controls amplifies the problem as well. In the real aircraft, there would be just very little force required to hold the aircraft wings level, however due how most of the joystick works it is just at the point where the recentering force is a bit annoying as it is very close to center.

However, I would hold off with any suggestions about the FM as it might change again with the upcoming patches. Currently it is quit strange (or we are just not used to it yet) and it might be tweaked again.

Good idea. I will see what I can come up with in this regard. I have already been thinking about doing some videos about special procedures like operating some of the automatic systems in the manual mode, however I haven't been sure how much interest there is for in-depth stuff like that.

Definitely will reconsider that and have a look on what I could come up with.

I can only speak for myself, but exactly that is what I'd love to see and learn more about! Especially the more .. uhm ... "obscure" stuff that you otherwise never would find anywhere else, all these little gems that DCS aircraft with their incredible level of detail surprise you with.

So, YES, PLEASE! ;o)

+1 !!

Well okay, sound like some people might actually be interested in some more detailed stuff.

I have started looking into the available documentation and sources I could find to gather information for such videos. But I guess I will have to do some more digging to find some of the not-so-common stuff and technical manuals.

For the first video(s) I have been thinking about the following systems:

- Engine (general information, operating limits, controls and additional functionalities)

- Nose-cone, anti-surge-doors and nozzle systems (general information, controls and indicators, manual/emergency procedures)

- Fuel system

- Air and oxygen system

- Hydraulic system

- ARU system

This is subject to change though... It depends on the information I can find on said systems. Maybe some of the videos maybe will be combined as well.

I also have to figure out how to present some of the data, as I don't want to do everything in cockpit. Showing diagrams and technical drawing should be done in a somewhat constant manner. Not sure which software to use to create (recreate) technical drawings and displayed examples. (Don't really want to draw them by hand, though it probably would be the easiest solution.

In the next days, I will have a look at that and better video editing software and think about good ways to present the information in a good way.

• Like 1

Well okay, sound like some people might actually be interested in some more detailed stuff.

I have started looking into the available documentation and sources I could find to gather information for such videos. But I guess I will have to do some more digging to find some of the not-so-common stuff and technical manuals.

For the first video(s) I have been thinking about the following systems:

- Engine (general information, operating limits, controls and additional functionalities)

- Nose-cone, anti-surge-doors and nozzle systems (general information, controls and indicators, manual/emergency procedures)

- Fuel system

- Air and oxygen system

- Hydraulic system

- ARU system

This is subject to change though... It depends on the information I can find on said systems. Maybe some of the videos maybe will be combined as well.

I also have to figure out how to present some of the data, as I don't want to do everything in cockpit. Showing diagrams and technical drawing should be done in a somewhat constant manner. Not sure which software to use to create (recreate) technical drawings and displayed examples. (Don't really want to draw them by hand, though it probably would be the easiest solution.

In the next days, I will have a look at that and better video editing software and think about good ways to present the information in a good way.

Inkscape could be great if you want to recreate drawings. Makes easy to overlay own vectors over existing image. And if you have multiple same scale data, placing each data point on own layer makes easy to show/hide them and compare. And using a grid assistance makes to draw lines and points easy.

But if you need to type numerical data and get easily graphics etc, then spreadsheet software is best if wanted to go easy.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Hi Fri13,

Inkscape could be great if you want to recreate drawings. Makes easy to overlay own vectors over existing image. And if you have multiple same scale data, placing each data point on own layer makes easy to show/hide them and compare. And using a grid assistance makes to draw lines and points easy.

But if you need to type numerical data and get easily graphics etc, then spreadsheet software is best if wanted to go easy.

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely check it out. From what I could see in a couple of videos I watched definitely useful! :)

I am currently in the progress of gathering some data for the first video. The (English) documentation on stuff like the air-restart system and stuff like that seems to be quit hard to find. As are technical drawings of fuel, air and oil systems. However, I will see what I can find and make a video from that. :thumbup: