Take Off in the Bf 109K-4

iFoxRomeo

My takeoff and landing video:

XO_fA7b7MI8

And some tips:

This video shows takeoff and landing in a quick succession. Some tips below, but your way might work better for you.

Takeoff:

- Set trim to 2 (Won't go further)

- Tailwheel locked

- Flaps fully raised

- Governor automatic

- Full throttle

- Only adjust direction with rudder, push stick forward or plane will easily flip

- After takeoff plane will ease pulling the nose up, and you can ease on the stick, carefully

Landing:

- Bleed speed and approach at around 250km/h, 300 max

- Flaps fully lowered

- Open radiator fully to aid bleeding speed

- Approach with throttle fully closed, adjust to speed of around 230km/h if necessary to get above the runway

- Slighty pull stick back to hold an angle to 3-point

- ALWAYS 3-point the landing

- As soon as the plane hits the pavement, full brakes

- Adjust direction with brakes if necessary

Good info! managed to TO just fine! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Yes, unless JST is using takeoff assist and auto-rudder, which I do not believe he is... I really can't believe it could be done that way...

Slowly adding throttle, and having the Prop set at AUTO, and even worst, not using left stick, would sum up into:

- Excessive torque due to the lower prop pitch set by the regulator;

- Unsufficient propwash during the initial takeoff run - contributing to a lot of zig-zagging that I do not see in the vídeo!

So, I take my hat off to JST for having been able to do it that way :)

Both assists disabled. I just punch the throttle with full right rudder.

My skins/liveries for Fw 190 D-9 and Bf 109 K-4:

My blog or Forums.

Open for requests as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@Javelina,

that's because you have GREAT LEGS, sorry ... landing gears!!!! not to mention those RADIATORS!!!!

Nothing wrong with a good set of Radiators! ;)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Here's mine:

Couple notes: it is possible to take-off with or without flaps and prop pitch on auto or manual. I use flaps and manual just because i like to do it real way :) Also you can slam full throttle right away, just remember to lock tailwheel and keep tail on ground until you hit 100 km/h. That way lack of rudder authority will not be problem.

Edited by DB 605

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My take-off, standard left hand Batumi circuit and landing vid.

jYzD3YRalAs

I mainly agree with JST, some minor edits which work better for me:

Takeoff:

- Full nose heavy trim

- Do not apply brakes, rudder only (tail wheel locked)

- No flaps

- Governor manual at 12:30

- 1.3 - 1.4 ATA (not full throttle, you will not be able to override with rudder)

- Slam on power, not gradual

- Easy on the pitch, be carefull not to stall

- Don't forget to put governor to auto

Landing:

- Idle throttle untill 300kph, gear down

- RPM governor manual at 12:30 (below 350 kp). Prop will work as a speed brake.

- Flaps fully lowered

- I prefer to leave radiator in auto mode

- Approach with throttle 1 inch open (gives you some maneuvering space)

- Lock tail wheel during landing

- Set the craft on the runway in 3-point fashion (160kph), do NOT stall it on the runway

- Feather differential brakes left and right to keep it straight and to slow down

..... i try to takeoff land as much as possible each day........really does help:thumbup:

nice flying twilight, and thanks for the help online today. "trim forward and lock that damn tail wheel" lol......cheers

Edited by KeyserSoze

Usual Suspects:joystick:

i7 6700k, 32g, Windows 10, Titan-X 12gb, Asus 27" 1ms 144hz, MFG crosswind pedals, trackir 5, TM Warthog

Here's mine:

Couple notes: it is possible to take-off with or without flaps and prop pitch on auto or manual. I use flaps and manual just because i like to do it real way :) Also you can slam full throttle right away, just remember to lock tailwheel and keep tail on ground until you hit 100 km/h. That way lack of rudder authority will not be problem.

Nice one!...good to know about the flaps, what was your settings trim .05... 15 flap

Nice one!...good to know about the flaps, what was your settings trim .05... 15 flap

Thanks! Flaps usually about 15-20 degrees. Trim 2 (full nose-heavy) until they fix it.

Edited by DB 605

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aaand here's the 10m/s crosswind take-off:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Neil,

I somehow got the idea that presently the K4 exhibited a tendency for being tail-heavy, instead of the realistis nose heavy in the real Bf109 K4 ?

At least Pilum has posted about this in the "Bugs" section:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=135167

So, taking off without flaps ( which is actually what I have started to practice... ) appears to reduce the nose up tendency.

And of course, I am now also "formated" to immediately push the stick fwd right from the takeoff run, as soon as I have enough speed...

But tonight, if I get some "flying" time at the PC :) I will try to test pitching moments with flap deflection / retraction at various speeds and altitudes, with gear in or out, etc...

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

I have posed elsewhere about the trim too. I have a feeling it might even be reversed?

I'm sure all the stuff we've been raising here will be examined closely by ED, and no doubt what works now to overcome some difficulties will be redundant in later iterations of the Bf-109.

I must say though, it is rapidly becoming my favourite mount. I have been working hard on take offs and landings, and I am getting there.

I have posed elsewhere about the trim too. I have a feeling it might even be reversed?

I'm sure all the stuff we've been raising here will be examined closely by ED, and no doubt what works now to overcome some difficulties will be redundant in later iterations of the Bf-109.

I must say though, it is rapidly becoming my favourite mount. I have been working hard on take offs and landings, and I am getting there.

Same here Neil,

even with this little chosmetic glitches, which I am sure will converge towards a fenomenal final version, this already became my preferred DCS ww2 bird :)

Actually, I only use DCS for these aircraft and the UH-1H ;-)

Same here Neil,

even with this little chosmetic glitches, which I am sure will converge towards a fenomenal final version, this already became my preferred DCS ww2 bird :)

Actually, I only use DCS for these aircraft and the UH-1H ;-)

As soon as the airplane gets fully combat ready with the fix for low G wing departs it will definitely be in my top 4 favorite DCS crafts (next to the pony, dora, huey)... Aaah... the era when the birds were made of wood and the men of steel... nowadays, flight crews are more system managers instead of hands-on pilots =)

Yep, and I spent a whole week just 130km away from WasserKupe and couldn't go there :-(

Landing in the jumpseat of the A320 which took me to EDDF, found the pilot had once tried to get his glider license too... I really think Lufthansa had good reasons to require their candidate pilots to own a glider pilot license back in the eighties :-)

Yep, and I spent a whole week just 130km away from WasserKupe and couldn't go there :-(

Landing in the jumpseat of the A320 which took me to EDDF, found the pilot had once tried to get his glider license too... I really think Lufthansa had good reasons to require their candidate pilots to own a glider pilot license back in the eighties :-)

It's indeed a shame that a glider licence is not a requirement anymore. IMHO it's the most pure way of flying and provides an invaluable understanding of the dynamics of flight and energy management. A famous example where glider experience did make the difference in a commercial airline accident:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

"Captain Pearson was an experienced glider pilot, so he was familiar with flying techniques almost never used by commercial pilots."

Grass Strip TO and Landing ...

Hi,

now that you are all pro's in TO and Landing the Konrad. How about trying it "offroad". :joystick:

Here's little mission to practice. I had a lot of fun ... :pilotfly:

greez mugen

GrassStrip640x400.png.8cea484479ce898b0e8e1fd0959db8b7.png

BF109 K4 - GrassStrip - Training_mods.miz

Mods.png.9a21927a98bc82fe939a0faa6d3bc2bb.png

BF109 K4 - GrassStrip - Training_stock.miz

GIGABYTE Z690 Aorus Elite | i5-12600K | 32 GB DDR4 | 2x 980 NVMe | RTX 4090 | OR CV1 | Pimax 8K | PC360 | 34UM95 | 38GN950 | TIR5 + Track Clip Pro | T-50CM2 | TM Warthog + 27,5 cm extension | MFG Crosswind | Win10Pro x64