Shooting mavericks

GurbY

Hi,

First of all: I'm new here, but are using DCS quite some time. Bought the A10C in the christmas sale.

So far I'm getting along reasonably fair. However, I do have an issue with shooting mavericks. In short:

I created a mission (flying 6000ft above Batumi, enemy AAA at Kobuleti). I select the MAV (AGM64H) on the DSMS. EO is on, TGP is on, etc.

With the TGP I slew to one of the AAA targets. TMS up to make it Point. TMS up Long to make it SPI (I get 'TGP' in the HUD instead of 'STPT'.

China FWD Long, and the MAV on the right panel slews to the SPI. I wait till the target is in range (under 9nm) and start clicking TMS Up (with MAV as SOI) to try to get a lock. However: it will NOT lock the target, although it is pointing right at it.

What I have to do is slew the MAV sensor just a little under the target (I'm about 5nm out now....) so it starts moving again, and when it moves over the target again it locks itself.

This can't be how I should do it I guess, but I can't find it. Read (printed...) the manual and did the step-by-step actions as described. Also read the threads on this forum, but can't figure out why the MAV doesn't lock albeit the correct pointing at the target...

(again: when unbreak the lock from the SPI and move the MAV, it locks itself and I can shoot a missile...)

What, o what.. am I doing wrong...???

You didnt mention if you used narrow fov via china hat forward short, mav as soi. That might help lock range. As mentioned try the d as it is infrared. the h is better with large stationary targets, like buildings.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Call Sign: Pork Chop.

intel I5 4670K @ 3.4GHz - GALAXY GTX 670 2GB @ 1080P - 16GB ( 2X8 ) Corsair DDR3 1600MHz - ASUS VG248QE 1080p

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VI HERO Mother Board - Samsung 840 Pro SSD 128GB(game/boot) - WD 640GB HDD 6.0GB/s - 750w Corsair Power Supply

:yes:Trackir 5 w/ Tclip Pro - :joystick:TM HOTAS Warthog - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech G700s Mouse (edit:May19/14) http://wiki.benargee.com/

I have always aquired the target as you describe and slew the Mav to the target, I always then move the Mav till it locks. As suggested above review the force correleation techniques for larger targets or specific areas on a building or bunker

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have always aquired the target as you describe and slew the Mav to the target, I always then move the Mav till it locks. As suggested above review the force correleation techniques for larger targets or specific areas on a building or bunker

Although unrealistic, you can use force correlate on small targets aswell. That way, given a good altitude you can launch Mav's on up to 14nm.

You don't have to move the Mav to lock it on target. TMS up short will do that. In force correlate I sometimes don't get the gate to close, TMS down short and then up usually does the trick when it bi**hes around ^^

I can confirm that auto-lock is based on silhouette recognition. It's similar to how a submarine uses a sonar signature database to match and identify threats. If light conditions aren't correct for non-IR, or the object is partially masked, auto-lock may not work until range is closed. There have been bugs in the product before where certain vehicle types wouldn't lock at all, but they've all been fixed to my knowledge. Stability of the platform and angle of missile head to target (check head aspect reference cross) can affect range as well. Here's a previous post on the subject:

Although the MAV can be used like the TGP, it wasn't designed for that use. Ground stabilize in your TGP uses your EGI to find a point on the ground and maintain it. MAV only has a cone of view forward of the aircraft, and uses visual recognition rather than EGI.

If your MAV camera zooms away from the target quickly and you can't seem to slew where you want, that means your traversal velocity is too high. In other words, as the nose of your aircraft (and the mavs) moves in a line across the line of the target, your camera is unstable. The Mav doesn't have the stabilization abilities of the TGP. Try this, it works extremely well for me, and take note: you only have to manually track on the first Mav, because this one is coming off TGP slave. The next mavs just slew, autolock, rifle:

*13-15k ft, 10nm separation from target area

*TGP lock and SPI target, slave all SOI to SPI

*Line up with target

*neg 8-10 on the pitch and path autopilot

*throttles all the way back

*Let the aircraft stabilize

*Switch to Mav camera and TMS FWD Short for track (first target only)

*Fire, acquire, fire, acquire... etc.

The mav camera is much more stable. You'll still be more than 5nm away at 10k or higher and you'll have up to 6 mavs in the air.

NOW.. you don't have to use the TGP to get your target on. I've actually used the MAV head to seek a target when I didn't have a TGP loaded. Once again just give the MAV head camera a stable platform. Use the above method minus the TGP in step 2, and it will not be necessary to TMS FWD Short for track, since you aren't slaved to TGP. Don't forget to use the FOV feature of the MAV head to zoom in and out on the area to facilitate faster or slower slewing.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Read the entire method.. I can attest that it works extremely well. You're nose down at high altitude far from the target to get missile aspect and stabilize, so you shouldn't slow down much if at all. There are a lot of 'absolutely never' things to remember about flying the hawg, but I'm not sure 'never throttle down' is one of them. After all, one of the requirements for the design of this bird was that it could fly slow.. so I use that advantage when necessary.. but not in this case. This method has never caused me an issue from lacking energy or speed... It doesn't slow you down to that degree... it simply prevents you from gaining so much speed that you lose missile head stability or close with the target too quickly. Give it a try and see.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Read the entire method.. I can attest that it works extremely well. You're nose down at high altitude far from the target to get missile aspect and stabilize, so you shouldn't slow down much if at all. There are a lot of 'absolutely never' things to remember about flying the hawg, but I'm not sure 'never throttle down' is one of them. After all, one of the requirements for the design of this bird was that it could fly slow.. so I use that advantage when necessary.. but not in this case. This method has never caused me an issue from lacking energy or speed... It doesn't slow you down to that degree... it simply prevents you from gaining so much speed that you lose missile head stability or close with the target too quickly. Give it a try and see.

In an attack run less than 45 degree dive you shouldn't ever pull the throttles back. You can if you want but its not real world methods.

Your advice is usually spot on Snoopy. I'm out of town on bidness right now, but when I get home I'll try it without throttling back. My reservations are that the speed will increase to the point that the mav head won't be as stable and that I'll close with the target too quickly to get all missiles off. I'll report back with my findings.

• 1 month later...

To use the FC, you must move the "Boat Switch" from the center position for some seconds.bring it back to the center, wait a moment and at that point TMS up short....this at any altitude, speed and distance from target.If you launches over 15000 can also strike from 15nm and more...sorry for my english

....BOW DOWN TO NONE....

I can't confirm with 100% certainty, but I think it's a small bug of the sim's logic. I almost always use area track instead of PT on still targets for this reason.

Sometimes when you use point track, the logic gate places the TGP cursor slightly off target. Since in DCS, the Maverick seeker is slewed to exactly the SPI point, I don't think the maverick recognizes whatever is dead center of its crosshairs as a target sometimes.

I notice the same thing happens sometimes....I can't get a lock with TMS fwd only, but I find a quick bump on the slew control will either cause a lock, or cause the seeker to slew off of ground stabilization. In this case, china hat fwd long and repeat.