Valve/HTC Vive Discussion

Python

Wow that looks fun :) Although his first experience with DCS was about as smooth as mine haha. It's not easy to begin with that's for sure!

It's a shame he has such little experience with DCS as what we really need is someone that can tell us whether the gauges and HUD is readable, and whether you can see planes and targets etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

@DigitalEngine

Yes I've heard of the video, but haven't actually seen it. Is he looking at his watch in a normal fashion, or holding his watch up to the camera. If he can read his wrist watch from a foot or so away, then the see thru camera is much better than I thought, but the 2D with no depth, and immersion break could still be a problem.

After that review, I would not get a Vive, DCS World, a computer, a HOTAS, or a beard either....lol.....:megalol:, think I'd just take up drinking and golf....

(but, at least the guy tried..)

But, one thing I did notice that he didn't say anything about was, nor did I see any noticeable evidence of, was stuttering or low FPS drops, which is a concern in general for DCS World in VR, no matter which platform you go with. Nor any complaints about poor performance with DCS World in VR. That is good news.

Sad that as far as I can find this is the only DCS World + HTC Vive video put out...

It could be the recording only as well, its very common when recording for there to be some studder/breaks as files are saved a new or just performance drops in general with the recording taking the low man on the totem pole and lagging even if other things do not.

But, one thing I did notice that he didn't say anything about was, nor did I see any noticeable evidence of, was stuttering or low FPS drops

For a lot of reasons, only the most severe stutters or framerate issues would show up on YouTube, but as you also say, the fact that he doesn't mention any issues related to that is a great thing.

I wonder what the min-spec for VR in, DCS itself, is going to be.

Slip the surly bonds of Earth

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Core i7 2600k@4.5||Z77 Extreme 6||16GB RAM

WIN 10||HTC Vive ||G940||1080Ti

Well,

Im going for... the extreme....

actually I'm in the research / planing stage of building an new high end system, which I may post in these forums as I go...

but, as for minimum spec, to run DCS World 2.0 on full throttle max settings....maybe Arnold's Schwarzenegger's Terminator "Skynet" could do it would be my guess...:huh:

I have a fear greater than in the past that any GPU hardware I buy is going to be rapidly superseded. I have 2 7950s at the moment, which according to the SteamVR test is usable (if crossfire is supported by the title - DCS is a special case, regardless - still no genuine crossfire support), but I'd like to have something decent going when the Vive arrives. I'm thinking R390X in the interim. Look at next gen when the dust settles, and replace the entire system.

I'm pretty sure Skynet is just banks of 980tis.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That video really shows how much better resolution the vive is than dk2. This is going to be amazing

Maybe it was the small screen off to the side. God I hope so. But I didn't get the WOW feeling. Actually, if I'm honest, I was a bit disappointed.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Hopefully it works out for you, but the current Vive front facing camera is a very low res, 2D camera which was designed to complement their obstruction detection system. You will see a vague representation of chair, but its unlikely you'd be able to see individual switches. Not to mention you'd probably be able to find the cockpit switch with muscle memory in the time it took you to use muscle memory to find the switch on the HMD to turn on the front facing camera.

Chivas,

When I saw the youtube video of someone using it, the image was actually quite clear. I think they made improvements from the first "not much of an image" camera. The picture-in-picture that I saw on youtube seemed more than good enough for me to see my switches.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Maybe it was the small screen off to the side. God I hope so. But I didn't get the WOW feeling. Actually, if I'm honest, I was a bit disappointed.

Watch this video, then compare to his video, you can tell how much higher resolution the Vive is compared to the dk2

[ame]

[/ame]

Watch this video, then compare to his video, you can tell how much higher resolution the Vive is compared to the dk2

You can't compare HMD resolutions via YouTube. It's just an absolute non-starter.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hmm... honestly, I don't see *that* much difference. I'll check it out side by side on my other PC and see if I can spot it.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

You can't compare HMD resolutions via YouTube. It's just an absolute non-starter.

Maybe. But I do have a frame of reference of how Rift looks in real life and what it looks like in youtube. Honestly, if the guy didn't label it as "Vive" I would have sworn it was the DK2.

But like I just said, I'll try side by side comparison.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Maybe. But I do have a frame of reference of how Rift looks in real life and what it looks like in youtube. Honestly, if the guy didn't label it as "Vive" I would have sworn it was the DK2.

But like I just said, I'll try side by side comparison.

No "maybe" about it. It's apples and oranges in many ways. YouTube doesn't even render at 90Hz for a start.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No "maybe" about it. It's apples and oranges in many ways. YouTube doesn't even render at 90Hz for a start.

90 hz isnt a measure of resolution, You absolutely *can* use youtube as a basis for comparing resolutions when the resolution shown in at least one of the videos is lower than the played resolution(dk2) and lower than the resolution used to view it(i assume 1080p or 1440p) Is it ideal? no, is it reliable? not entirely you'd need to use the same computer, same recording software etc.

But knowing that the vive has roughly double the resolution of the dk2(single 1080P panel vs 2 1080p panels) combined with a quite noticeable difference in readability and clarity of things like text in the dials in the two videos the difference can quite easily be attributed to the much increased resolution of the vive vs DK2

LOL, no sorry, it doesn't work that way...:)

No, the Rift and Vive visuals are the same, if you got like 20/10 vision maybe you to could tell a difference, but those years are long gone for me.

If your not decided on which platform to purchase it really should be for other reasons, such as total budget, what you can afford, what are your intended uses and such. Remember the VR headset is only one component of a complete system. And for many to get effective use of VR, it's gonna mean a new complete system. For many peoples the Rift will be the better choice just because you may need, or want to improve your current system within your budget. And keep in mind the HTC Vive will not come with surround sound headsets.

I'm specifically going for the HTC Vive because of the Lighthouse Technologies for my specific purposes and it is within our budget allocation for a completely new system package.

uh..no the DK2 and the vive do not have the same visuals. the DK2 has a single 1080p panel for both eyes vs the CV1 and vive having a 1080p panel for each eye. double the resolution. at least(if not more since the screen can be positioned more closely the center of each eye and not having to have as large a black unrendered spot in the center)

One thing I did notice he didn't say anything about was, nor did I see any noticeable evidence of, was stuttering or low FPS drops, which is a concern in general for DCS ...

Maybe thats because he uses a GTX 980ti SLI system.

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI MT7-L09 mit Tapatalk

Win10, i5 3570K@4GHz, OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD, 16GB RAM, Gigabyte GTX 980, TM HOTAS Warthog, TM Cougar MFD, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder, TrackIR5

You absolutely *can* use youtube as a basis for comparing resolutions when the resolution shown in at least one of the videos is lower than the played resolution(dk2) and lower than the resolution used to view

I actually find that the youtube videos of the DK2 look considerably better compared to using the DK2 itself. On youtube you don't have the screen door effect / fly screen effect at all. It looks a lot cleaner than in person.

What you don't get though is the sense of immersion of course :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

90 hz isnt a measure of resolution

Yes, frequency was not the best example of shortcomings for comparisons via YouTube.

You absolutely *can* use youtube as a basis for comparing resolutions when the resolution shown in at least one of the videos is lower than the played resolution(dk2) and lower than the resolution used to view it(i assume 1080p or 1440p) Is it ideal? no, is it reliable? not entirely you'd need to use the same computer, same recording software etc.

You absolutely *should not*, and the rest of your paragraph indicates you are not clear on how this all works.

Going purely on resolution as a metric, you have to understand that that resolution has a number of factors applied to make it VR-consumable, including warping/shading. Comparisons via YouTube are futile, but I'm not going to get into another argument. If you want to believe it's a valid metric knock your bloody socks off.

...combined with a quite noticeable difference in readability and clarity of things like text in the dials in the two videos the difference can quite easily be attributed to the much increased resolution of the vive vs DK2

Absolute nonsense.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

One thing I did notice he didn't say anything about was, nor did I see any noticeable evidence of, was stuttering or low FPS drops, which is a concern in general for DCS World in VR, no matter which platform you go with. Nor any complaints about poor performance with DCS World in VR. That is good news.

Sad that as far as I can find this is the only DCS World + HTC Vive video put out...

who knows that the computer specs he had while running vive with DCS.

we already know DCS is not optimized and a PC killer when it comes to performance.

im getting oculus rift, but on top of that a new PC build, with the next gen nvidia pascal card as a must.

i laugh at the people justify their 970's or even 980Ti's as fit for a VR experience.

its true if the game is certified by oculus ready, but i dont think DCS will be ever oculus ready (in terms of PC hardware requirement) so im not even going to waste money on a current gen graphics card, if im expecting a great DCS VR experience

THOSE PPL POSTING VIDEOS the older of DCS and DK2, please stop, i have seen enough, i know what DCS and DK2 is all about, everyone that follows VR closely are looking for the DCS + VIVE/CV1 videos!! kthxbye

Edited by hannibal

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

From his Twitch page :

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

i7-6700K CPU

GTX 980 Ti

512GB Samsung 950 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD

32GB DDR4 G-Skill TridentZ Memory

H100i GTX Cooling

i9 9900x at 5.1 Ghz // ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula EK Bloc // 64Gb Corsair Vengence 3600Mhz DDR4 Ram // Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Watercooled block//Samsung SM951 M2 x4 SSD // Windows 10 64 Bit //48inch LG48 @ 3840x2160 120Hz//Asus ROG Swift PG35VQ 3440 x 14440 144Hz // TM Warthog HOTAS (Ser. No. 00836) //MFG Crosswind Pedals // TrackIR 5 //Varjo Aero

An old pilot is one who remembers when flying was dangerous and sex was safe.

In his first video regarding the Vive he shows the setup process.

During that you can see that his pc is equipped with two 980ti running in SLI mode.

Win10, i5 3570K@4GHz, OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD, 16GB RAM, Gigabyte GTX 980, TM HOTAS Warthog, TM Cougar MFD, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder, TrackIR5

THOSE PPL POSTING VIDEOS the older of DCS and DK2, please stop, i have seen enough, i know what DCS and DK2 is all about, everyone that follows VR closely are looking for the DCS + VIVE/CV1 videos!! kthxbye

here you want

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7Q0MKOTDu0]HTC vivie with DCS[/ame]

In his first video regarding the Vive he shows the setup process.

During that you can see that his pc is equipped with two 980ti running in SLI mode.

sorry i fast forward the video to the DCS portion.

but why SLi??

Wouldnt SLi setup be worse for DCS? I thought DCS performs better on a single card.

lol. you guys are great to jump on me to point of my error. :)

still doesnt change the fact that this video gives a bad DCS experience.

i hope future VIVE DCS videos will be much better, with tips on how to setup a better DCS VIVE experience, because i think this guy is making the experience WORSE with SLi.

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

....... i think this guy is making the experience WORSE with SLi.

Don't know why people keep saying he's using SLI. I have had confirmation from Tribalinstinct that this was single card (980ti) as he has sold the second card. In any case Steam VR does not use SLI yet.

Edited by Loz

i9 9900x at 5.1 Ghz // ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula EK Bloc // 64Gb Corsair Vengence 3600Mhz DDR4 Ram // Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Watercooled block//Samsung SM951 M2 x4 SSD // Windows 10 64 Bit //48inch LG48 @ 3840x2160 120Hz//Asus ROG Swift PG35VQ 3440 x 14440 144Hz // TM Warthog HOTAS (Ser. No. 00836) //MFG Crosswind Pedals // TrackIR 5 //Varjo Aero

An old pilot is one who remembers when flying was dangerous and sex was safe.