Valve/HTC Vive Discussion

Python

Anyway this is a interesting interview if your interested in the Vive.

I think it's a good video about VR, in general.

Bit weird that he wasn't sure the controllers would come with the Vive. They're obviously integral to the product.

Slip the surly bonds of Earth

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Core i7 2600k@4.5||Z77 Extreme 6||16GB RAM

WIN 10||HTC Vive ||G940||1080Ti

Sorry if a repost, but I found this an interesting article. Sure he is a Valve guy but his excitement is infectious. I was going to hold off on the first wave of VR and wait until it had matured a bit, but if there is this kind of excitement from independent sources once it's released I will find it very hard to resist.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/valve-chet-faliszek-vive-interview,30959.html

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

I think it's a good video about VR, in general.

Bit weird that he wasn't sure the controllers would come with the Vive. They're obviously integral to the product.

I think its possible, maybe not likely, that HTC Vive could be thinking of selling an option that didn't include VR inputs. That way they would have a better chance of competing with the Rift on pricepoint, and taking advantage of all the VR content made for Xbox type controllers. Atleast 90 percent of VR content over the last few years has been made for Xbox type controllers. I suppose it would depend how many devs creating that kind of VR content would have implemented support for the Vive.

I think its possible, maybe not likely, that HTC Vive could be thinking of selling an option that didn't include VR inputs. That way they would have a better chance of competing with the Rift on pricepoint, and taking advantage of all the VR content made for Xbox type controllers. Atleast 90 percent of VR content over the last few years has been made for Xbox type controllers. I suppose it would depend how many devs creating that kind of VR content would have implemented support for the Vive.

Are you saying 90% because that's what Palmer said in reference to the Rift?

I doubt that even 5% of content made exclusively for the Vive won't use the controllers it comes with - it just wouldn't make sense not to implement Vive's arguably killer feature. When you factor in titles made for both, I really doubt it's going to be that great a proportion, overall. Remains to be seen though, remembering that there are a lot of titles for the Vive we haven't seen yet.

As for selling an option that doesn't include the controllers, I think that would be a good idea from a consumer perspective, but I doubt they'll do it. Again, it would devalue the system too greatly, and fragment their own customer base.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Are you saying 90% because that's what Palmer said in reference to the Rift?

I doubt that even 5% of content made exclusively for the Vive won't use the controllers it comes with - it just wouldn't make sense not to implement Vive's arguably killer feature. When you factor in titles made for both, I really doubt it's going to be that great a proportion, overall. Remains to be seen though, remembering that there are a lot of titles for the Vive we haven't seen yet.

As for selling an option that doesn't include the controllers, I think that would be a good idea from a consumer perspective, but I doubt they'll do it. Again, it would devalue the system too greatly, and fragment their own customer base.

I didn't get the 90% from anywhere, its just speculation based on VR content being developed two years before anyone new for sure that Oculus would develop VR inputs, or anyone knew that Vive was coming to the market with inputs. All of it would have been developed for xbox type controllers. Its going to be awhile before VR input content catches up.

Icarus just posted a link to a developer poll, that suggested that by far most devs were developing for the Rift, with all the other headsets far behind. I've been suggesting that for along time only because of Oculus's two year head start, but I certainly didn't think it would be by that kind of margin. Vive and Sony are making a very good headset, so we can expect those margins to change.

-3 days....

Anyone know what time it kicks off?

(Steam VR Content Showcase)

Not sure they've stated a time, as yet.

Pretty pumped for it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Preorders starting 29th of feb or so. Should see a lot of news before then i hope! there huge potential! For those of us that play lots of games i can only imagine what fighting games will be like with the room tracking.

While id like to go on vacation this year i suspect using the money on this will remove all need to get out for a year or two!

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

"I know Oculus is working on their own controller, but it's hard to imagine they will be as articulate or accurate as the ones I used on HTC Vive"

Huh? I respect the opinions of people who tried both and liked one or the other. But if you haven't even had a chance to use it, methinks it disingenuous to draw comparison. But he is right that PS3 has the largest captive audience in PS4. Assuming it'll work w/o upgrading to PS5.

But while these VR discussions are interesting, for me, it's about how it works with DCS. I don't plan on walking around the plane doing inspections. So the ability to walk around - meh..couldn't careless. Others may find it compelling. But for DCS related discussion, I think it's a moot point.

Like I said, I'll order Vive if WAGS tells us the developers are working just as hard on it as Rift. And if Vive gives me a better experience than Rift. Not loyal to either one, I just want the one that works better with DCS.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

"I know Oculus is working on their own controller, but it's hard to imagine they will be as articulate or accurate as the ones I used on HTC Vive"

Huh? I respect the opinions of people who tried both and liked one or the other. But if you haven't even had a chance to use it, methinks it disingenuous to draw comparison. But he is right that PS3 has the largest captive audience in PS4. Assuming it'll work w/o upgrading to PS5.

But while these VR discussions are interesting, for me, it's about how it works with DCS. I don't plan on walking around the plane doing inspections. So the ability to walk around - meh..couldn't careless. Others may find it compelling. But for DCS related discussion, I think it's a moot point.

Like I said, I'll order Vive if WAGS tells us the developers are working just as hard on it as Rift. And if Vive gives me a better experience than Rift. Not loyal to either one, I just want the one that works better with DCS.

This is exactly why we have to take most reviews with a grain of salt. There is no doubt that the Vive is a great product, but the title is obviously click bait, or the guy is completely clueless on the competition. I'm with you I don't care who makes the best Video Card, or VR headset, and always buy the one that best suits the software I want to run. I did preorder the Rift, but it will be very easy to unload and buy the Vive if it turns out to be a better product for DCS, and other flight sims. From what I've seen so far, I don't think that is going to happen unless Vive has some unannounced relevant feature.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say just get the Rift. It's going to be better for your needs, I'd say. Unless the Vive is cheaper, or the controllers become an unforeseen bonus for cockpit interaction, there's no real point to it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Extremely, extremely exciting stuff coming to VR soon. That UE4 building thing looks like a lot of fun even for non-developers.

And to add a bit to the teleportation video (and share an awesome looking game):

[ame]

[/ame]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Edited by spacenavy90

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

| Mi-8MTV2 | MiG-21 | M-2000C | F-86F | P-51D | BS2 | UH-1H | FC3 | CA 1.5 | A-10C |

i7 2700k --EVGA GTX970 --16Gb RAM --Seiki 39" 4K --Saitek X-55 Rhino --Saitek Pro Flight Pedals --TrackIR 5 --Win10 x64

Let's hope that if you don't need to walk around (like in DCS), you don't need to go through the gyration of moving furniture to install the head tracking. Someone at Vive didn't consider WAF when designing this thing.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Let's hope that if you don't need to walk around (like in DCS), you don't need to go through the gyration of moving furniture to install the head tracking. Someone at Vive didn't consider WAF when designing this thing.

That doesn't even make any sense.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That doesn't even make any sense.

Yeah seriously. Can you move your head right now without "moving furniture"? Congratulations, that is head tracking.

But most games that do require movement are being designed with 1m by 1m space. I'm sure most people have at least that amount of space around them now.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

| Mi-8MTV2 | MiG-21 | M-2000C | F-86F | P-51D | BS2 | UH-1H | FC3 | CA 1.5 | A-10C |

i7 2700k --EVGA GTX970 --16Gb RAM --Seiki 39" 4K --Saitek X-55 Rhino --Saitek Pro Flight Pedals --TrackIR 5 --Win10 x64

I guess you guys didn't read the manual for the Vive Pre? I don't need the full room motion, so I'm hoping I don't have to space them out like they want in the manual. Where they *show* you moving the furniture.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

I guess you guys didn't read the manual for the Vive Pre? I don't need the full room motion, so I'm hoping I don't have to space them out like they want in the manual. Where they *show* you moving the furniture.

Was the manual describing a room-scale set-up? I'm guessing yes.

You can set up the Vive as you would, the Rift. If that's what you want.

Think about how Lighthouse works. You just need the headset to receive the flood-light from one base station for tracking in a seated experience, just like the Rift, only inverted. Although, I'd find a way to mount two if possible for solid 360 coverage.

The reason they would have only shown room-scale is that that would be the most common use case, given the Vive's strength is in room-scale.

Having said that, it is a little strange that they didn't include a seated scenario in the manual, but you are referring to a pre-release version, after all.

I don't think there's a minimum tracking distance for the Vive, so no, I highly doubt you'll need to shift furniture for simming purposes. That wouldn't make sense to me.

Edited by S3NTRY11
Typo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey guys, a short question as I havent read through all the Thread for my question.

But is there already anythings known whether the Vive will be fully compatible with DCS like the Rift is?

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; Meta Quest 3; HOTAS Warthog; Logitech Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

Hey guys, a short question as I havent read through all the Thread for my question.

But is there already anythings known whether the Vive will be fully compatible with DCS like the Rift is?

The last information I recall is that integration is going well. That was well before Christmas.

Wags made a general statement about better overall VR support in a recent update, which I thought was interesting, because it was no longer information specific to The Rift.

There has been no information on integration of motion controllers, as far as I am aware.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for your reply @S3NTRY11

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; Meta Quest 3; HOTAS Warthog; Logitech Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

developers are in heaven today as they’ve been told by Gabe Newell, CEO of Valve, that all of them attending the Vision Summit 2016 over the next two days will be getting the HTC Vive Pre developer kit for free

That is amazing. I'm pretty confident at this point Vive is going to succeed over Oculus in have a game-filled product launch.

Like the PS3 back in the day, Oculus seems to be going for the "get the hardware out fast as possible" approach. But the problem is, there isn't anything to do with it once you have it.

Edited by spacenavy90

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IMO Vive has the advantage so far, because of their Laser grid system. Have you tried track IR on a sunny day, assuming you´re not in the bunker?

Of course after release will now more of advantages and disadvantages.

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

IMO Vive has the advantage so far, because of their Laser grid system. Have you tried track IR on a sunny day, assuming you´re not in the bunker?

Of course after release will now more of advantages and disadvantages.

Agreed. Superior technology, and in my opinion better developer support, and shipping game controllers with the headset instead of holding back for months has the Vive out ahead for sure.

Only thing to question now is the price of the V1 package and how many are willing to throw down the cash.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]