Valve/HTC Vive Discussion

Python

I hope it gives you an idea of the physical limitations of your immediate area in the game somehow. So you aren't knocking stuff over. Either that or something to do with hand finger tracking.

Vive uses the Chaperone system to let you where objects are. I don't know if Oculus has adapted any tech like Vives Chaperon system.

Oculus bought a company that does some sort of camera tracking without the need for gloves, with wired or wireless markers. One of the reasons I suggested a combination of the low resource Vive type laser system, and camera tracking without markers might a possibility at some point. Below is an interesting video of hand tracking without markers.

Pebbles Interfaces joins Oculus

Oculus Blog | Posted by Oculus VR | ‎July‎ ‎16‎, ‎2015

Edited by Chivas

Reddit rumors are that Facebook Oculus is giving up on competing with Vive and gradually shifting focusing onto mobile. If this truly is a breakthrough for Vive on the horizon, then that combined with the superior Lighthouse tracking will really have the Rift playing catch up.

Rumors will be rumors but it makes good sense.

Valve has no interest in mobile and there is definitely a market for it that Facebook is already a huge part of. I wonder if Facebook will just cut their loses after CV1 launches.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

| Mi-8MTV2 | MiG-21 | M-2000C | F-86F | P-51D | BS2 | UH-1H | FC3 | CA 1.5 | A-10C |

i7 2700k --EVGA GTX970 --16Gb RAM --Seiki 39" 4K --Saitek X-55 Rhino --Saitek Pro Flight Pedals --TrackIR 5 --Win10 x64

Icarus, you are a loyal one man band, I'll give you that. Let's hope for all of us that Rift stays in the game. Competition is good.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

What part of "without requiring wired or wireless markers" don't you understand?

That was never the point of contention.

Same old stuff from you, Chivas. You dart around a conversation like it's freestyle jazz.

I'm going to do myself and everyone here a favour. Ignore-list.

Edited by S3NTRY11

Slip the surly bonds of Earth

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Core i7 2600k@4.5||Z77 Extreme 6||16GB RAM

WIN 10||HTC Vive ||G940||1080Ti

The Rift isn't going quietly into the night. They're not going to invest so much time, sweat, and money into something only to fall back to something so inherently crippled by a lack of computational power, as mobile.

I'm going to go with 'wild rumour'.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That was never the point of contention.

Same old stuff from you, Chivas. You dart around a conversation like it's freestyle jazz.

I'm going to do myself and everyone here a favour. Ignore-list.

No your problem is a lack of comprehension, and/or using out of context partial quotes , ignoring the parts that don't suit your argument.

All else being equal, I've suggested many times that Vive wouldn't be able to compete with Oculus because of the price differential, unless they made some sort of tech advancement. Hopefully Vive actually has, and its not some sort of overhyped, under delivered tech to help stem their delay loses.

Its likely that both the Rift and Vive have some unannounced features that they have been saving for their release hype. Which will be better is yet to be determined.

Oculus has been spending considerable resources on wireless VR because that's where the future lies. I'm sure Vive is aswell. Its also highly likely that whatever breakthrough Vive has made will be applicable to wireless, VR aswell.

• ED Team

Guys stay on topic and dont make things personal otherwise this thread will get cleaned.

Please check out the forum rules before posting.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

For those of you who want SLI, can you go to the link below and ask NVidia (there's on for ATI as well) and supply the information? Lot of us on Vive/Oculus may fall into the SLI camp. thank you.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=155674

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

In that video, the Vive controller is used to track the hand. The fingers are tracked by the glove, it's not part of the lighthouse system.

You're correct, the fingers themselves are not part of the Lighthouse system, but the Lighthouse system is still at the core of the glove's functionality. Making the glove itself "part of the lighthouse system".

Splitting hairs a bit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is pretty darned cool! Down to individual finger movements.

This is why I'm leaning towards the Vive. Imagine having the gloves on and playing the ASM airframes. Fingering buttons, switches and all that.

You would probably need some kind of disabling method for the gloves, so if taking a break from the controls for a drink or something, you don't accidentally launch a missile on someone. :lol:

Anything with a Rotary Wing is fun and challenging.

Use SRS radio.

Saitek X55 Modding

System Specs

Mixed Metals: i7 4790K@4.6, 32GB Kingston HyperX ram@2400Mhz, Gigabyte GA-Z97MX Gaming 5, ASUS Vega 64, 3xSamsung SSD drives, FSP Aurum 1000W PSU, Custom watercooling with EK blocks, Vive, Virpil MT 50, X55 throttle.

Oculus works like a charm, even with the low res on DK2 you can read the guags, when you lean forward to read em....

Intel Core i7-6700K Cpu 4.00 GHz OC 4.8 GHz Water Cooled|32 GB DDR4 ram OC| Nvidia RTX 2080Ti| TrustMaster Warthog|Saitek Battle Pro Pedals | Logitec G13| Oculus Rift S :joystick:

I´m in for a ride, a VR ride:pilotfly:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBX_-Hml7_7s1dggit_vGpA?view_as=public

I had a DK2. Had.

It was really hard to use because it made me very sick very fast, not sure why.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

| Mi-8MTV2 | MiG-21 | M-2000C | F-86F | P-51D | BS2 | UH-1H | FC3 | CA 1.5 | A-10C |

i7 2700k --EVGA GTX970 --16Gb RAM --Seiki 39" 4K --Saitek X-55 Rhino --Saitek Pro Flight Pedals --TrackIR 5 --Win10 x64

I had a DK2. Had.

It was really hard to use because it made me very sick very fast, not sure why.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Easy. Your frame rate/refresh wasn't fast enough. I got sick as a dog (not immediately, but within 5-10 minutes) After 1.5 came up, that all disappeared. The difference was that with tweaks, I could maintain 75FPS.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

The StarVR has awesome field of view, BUT at this point its doubtful a computer system could drive that many pixels at 90fps.

Yeah, this. It is also using an optical tracking system like Oculus.

I think it would be a good option for companies, or organizations where money to spend on a high-end computer is not an issue. But for mid to high-tier consumers, it's *too* good.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's Merry now (SLI part)!! :) thanks for posting

As for the hand motion, LEAP has that much granularity today. I'm sure that's why they used a picking up a ball demo. Leap Motion controller can do that much w/o even a glove. What it cannot do (Leap) is to track your finger hitting a switch. And by the looks of it, neither can HTC Vive. Otherwise, they would have showed more during the demo. Maybe I'm wrong, but there's nothing in the demo (I just saw the first one) that shows me the granularity required to manipulate dials and switches.

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Let's hope so. But again, no one is showing fine motor skills. Let's hope that technology can deliver on it. I'm hedging my bet. I just ordered some GP-wiz40 USB controller and 40 DTSP switches. VR or not, it'll be nice to have some tactile feedback on some A10 switches.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

I hope it isn't wireless. Most people don't have the amount of space to make proper use of wireless movement. Also you obviously can't tell whats around you when you have the headset on so you think you are walking down a hallway? Nope you walked into a wall.

Eye tracking and foveated rendering would change VR forever.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

rather powerfull electromagnetic radiation

If that's even what they're using.

I doubt the breakthrough is wireless tech, personally.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]