Valve/HTC Vive Discussion

Python

Unfortunately YouTube videos don't show what the HMD viewer is actually seeing. For instance DK2 videos showed far better resolution than people were actually seeing in the Rift. We also have to take everyone's opinion, including my own with a grain of salt. VR is something that has to be seen with the actual hardware to make a valid decision on its quality. You will have access to atleast the Rift at your local Bestbuys relatively soon to make your own opinion.

what im saying is, how people made youtube videos of DK2 and DCS, i will look forward of the the upcoming user made videos of VIVE and DCS regardless of what resolution.. and i like to hear their opinions, even though you can not truly see what it is really like on youtube.

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

Best Buy is only selling them packaged with an Oculus ready PC at the moment. They have an expected release date around 4/23/16. I am sure they will have demo stations everywhere though.

I didn't know about the package. I am sure you are correct, in that case. It will still be interesting to see what sort of hardware Oculus decides to use for that purpose.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

should easily be 75fps with the rift.

Both commercial headsets have a 90Hz refresh, just to be clear.

Slip the surly bonds of Earth

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Core i7 2600k@4.5||Z77 Extreme 6||16GB RAM

WIN 10||HTC Vive ||G940||1080Ti

While we're sharing cool Vive vids:

Ignore his nonsense comparisons to the Rift DK2.

I am kinda looking forward to his eventual testing of the Rift though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

While we're sharing cool Vive vids:

Ignore his nonsense comparisons to the Rift DK2.

I am kinda looking forward to his eventual testing of the Rift though.

Hmmm, that flipping the controller in VR and catching it in real life is pretty damn cool.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Nice video S3NTRY11. A much more more thorough exploration of the hardware and demos compared to what you normally see.

It would be great to see this kind of video for the Rift. Oculus and their NDA is why we aren't seeing any interesting CV1 videos at the moment.

Anyone know where you can test a vive in Germany or Switzerland?

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

I recomend wait for VR set till christmas time in my opinion or for next year.First orders will have lots of mystakes and updates I think.I read that OR or Vive will be cheaper and much better later on ,becouse of beter

production technology etc.

I m going after OR becouse for DCS I dont need walking arround my room like Vive is about.OR is cheaper than Vive and OR have lesser recomended configuration for PC.Recomended for Vive is for example GTX 980,for oculus gtx 970.OR guarantee that they keep recomended config for all live for OR so you dont need upgrade your PC every year becouse of OR.

Vive dont guarante that.

Waiting is a valid option, but not because of the price, it will be a very long time before the price of these headsets, and the system's required to run them will go down in price much. That said waiting for the quality of these headsets to improve will happen quite quickly.

Personally I'm way to old to wait, and will enjoy the VR journey as long as I can, upgrading to any new VR hmd if enough quality warrants the upgrade.:)

I canceled my rift pre-order today and got a vive pre order instead.

I figure this is my one Big purchase of the year, so I'll opt for the unit that is more feature rich at release. Also helps that I don't have to sign up for yet another digital store front and can stick with my steam library.

I canceled my rift pre-order today and got a vive pre order instead.

I figure this is my one Big purchase of the year, so I'll opt for the unit that is more feature rich at release. Also helps that I don't have to sign up for yet another digital store front and can stick with my steam library.

But are you 100% sure DCS will work with the Vive? For me it seems as if the Vive is pretty much tied to Steam Games (wich is bad for DCS standalone users - and this concern holds me back from cancelling my Rift-order) whereas Rift is open to all games and has additionally Rift-only games.

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI MT7-L09 mit Tapatalk

Win10, i5 3570K@4GHz, OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD, 16GB RAM, Gigabyte GTX 980, TM HOTAS Warthog, TM Cougar MFD, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder, TrackIR5

But are you 100% sure DCS will work with the Vive? For me it seems as if the Vive is pretty much tied to Steam Games (wich is bad for DCS standalone users - and this concern holds me back from cancelling my Rift-order) whereas Rift is open to all games and has additionally Rift-only games.

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI MT7-L09 mit Tapatalk

SteamVR must be installed from steam but it currently runs titles stored locally. You do not need to run a game from your steam library to have steamVR hook to it.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

I gotta admit I would love to see Just Cause 3 in VR. Wingsuiting would be awesome in VR. :P

This is making me want the vive now instead of the rift but I don't want to wait another 2 months for the vive. I'm not sure what other games will work with the rift unless the game dev adds support. The vive working with ALL games in your steam library is huge if true.

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

The vive working with ALL games in your steam library is huge if true.

First I've heard! Have you a source for this?

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

First I've heard! Have you a source for this?

I think there's been a bit of a misunderstanding by j0nx. SteamVR doesn't mean all Steam games make the most of Vive features.

You still need to implement the SteamVR/OpenVR API within a title for the Vive to work as you'd expect.

As an aside, from all reports, DCS will be supporting the Vive, including controllers.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oh I picked that up in this thread from someone else that said steam library games would work with steamvr installed. Perhaps he was confused too. So steam games won't work then unless the dev adds support like ED has?

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Oh I picked that up in this thread from someone else that said steam library games would work with steamvr installed. Perhaps he was confused too. So steam games won't work then unless the dev adds support like ED has?

Correct

Vive support for DCS is pretty much a given since DCS is listed as one of the Steam VR titles already. This was actually another reason to jump on the Vive. I really doubt the Vive impentation for the standalone and Steam version of DCS will differ.

Good times ahead! I just hope we get some more info on the input support for clicky cockpits in VR!

Kirin out

Fortunately, I have become able to afford one or other VR headset. I can afford a Rift now, or wait a couple of months and hopefully sell some gear and buy a Vive (or go into the red and buy one now :) ) - I would prefer the Vive, tbh, but I am very much like Chivas, in that I am getting on a bit and health is not on my side.

My main worry is that if I wait - regardless how long - I may not get to enjoy VR at all.

Decisions, decisions!

Mind you - if they charged the same for everybody, instead of a couple of hundred dollars more expensive for us Brits, I would be able to order the Vive right now...

EDIT: Ordering the Rift. Been reading articles all evening about "Which should I get?" and looking up supported titles etc. End result - what the Vive currently has over the Rift (15ft movement and forward facing camera to name the two 'big' ones - neither of which I need) is unimportant to me, so the Rift it is. Plus I can afford that, now. Delivery in July. So if it bombs when the first are delivered, I'll have plenty of time to cancel and get a Vive instead! :D

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Makes perfect sense. I'm doing the same thing. I have rift coming this/next month. Komodo is coming this month as well. So life is good! :) But if Rift is not up to snuff, I'll sell it and get the Vive after checking out the reviews.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Makes perfect sense. I'm doing the same thing. I have rift coming this/next month. Komodo is coming this month as well. So life is good! :) But if Rift is not up to snuff, I'll sell it and get the Vive after checking out the reviews.

If you can't rely on reviews of the Pre, I doubt any reviews of the commercial version are going to shift your view too far.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's been out in limited numbers and the purchasers up to now will be, let's say, the more enthusiastic element of the gaming population.

I think it will make a very big difference now that so many are being sold. People are going to expect more from the retail release and will be keen to express their opinions, and across a wider array of applications.

In fact, if there was no difference between the DK2/pre and retail devices, I wouldn't have ordered one.

The only others who have had a quick go at the retail versions do not represent the wider public. Not to mention the possibility of negative effects on those with various health issues.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2