Recommended CPU: need help

Hello,

I'm considering an upgrade of my rig.

I already installed a GTX970 and augmented my RAM to 24GB.

I'm looking to upgrade the CPU core and consequentely to change the MB.

May you suggest a CPU that could give good performances considering also the incoming upgrade of DCS World to Ver 2?

Thanks in advance

First of all, this one is going to get moved to the hardware section, but I don't mind you posting this here.

Second, we don't know how DCS World 2 will respond to different kinds of hardware so either you buy what you want/can afford now, or you wait until DCS 2 final (that is: not ALPHA/BETA) is released.

Third, I'd still go for a 4th generation Intel i7 because the 5th generation is generally aimed towards more cores and less Hz per core. The 4th generation in general has less cores and more Hz/core. Most games can not make use of more than 2 cores so naturally you want the highest power per core instead of more cores. A good example of a CPU for gaming purposes would be the 4790K. Stock 4.0Ghz, stock boost 4.4Ghz, OC'd 4.7Ghz. Some say they reach 4.8Ghz OC-ing but those are the exception.

i7 4790K: 4.8GHz, 1.328V (manual)

MSI GTX 970: 1,504MHz core, 1.250V, 8GHz memory

First of all, this one is going to get moved to the hardware section, but I don't mind you posting this here.

Second, we don't know how DCS World 2 will respond to different kinds of hardware so either you buy what you want/can afford now, or you wait until DCS 2 final (that is: not ALPHA/BETA) is released.

Third, I'd still go for a 4th generation Intel i7 because the 5th generation is generally aimed towards more cores and less Hz per core. The 4th generation in general has less cores and more Hz/core. Most games can not make use of more than 2 cores so naturally you want the highest power per core instead of more cores. A good example of a CPU for gaming purposes would be the 4790K. Stock 4.0Ghz, stock boost 4.4Ghz, OC'd 4.7Ghz. Some say they reach 4.8Ghz OC-ing but those are the exception.

I would say an i5 would be just fine, you don't really see benefits in gaming from an i7 vs an i5.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

a used i7-2600k is also an option, and they usually outclock a 4790k :)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I would say an i5 would be just fine, you don't really see benefits in gaming from an i7 vs an i5.
I'd like you to support that statement with benchmark results from ingame tests (no synthetic tests please). Not to annoy you, but I really can't agree with this.

Oh and before this thread ends up in the newer = better battle, I'd like to say I'm taking the bang-for-buck ratio into account when stating my arguments, focused on gaming.

Edited by JayPee

i7 4790K: 4.8GHz, 1.328V (manual)

MSI GTX 970: 1,504MHz core, 1.250V, 8GHz memory

have you tried overclocking it ? usually by FSB with that generation of i7 afair.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I'd like you to support that statement with benchmark results from ingame tests (no synthetic tests please). Not to annoy you, but I really can't agree with this.

Oh and before this thread ends up in the newer = better battle, I'd like to say I'm taking the bang-for-buck ratio into account when stating my arguments, focused on gaming.

You talking about in DCS world or gaming in general? In DCS world (which uses mostly only 1 core) you could have a 24 core CPU and it wouldn't make a difference, clock speed is what matters, so an i5 at 4.0 GHZ would destroy an i7 at 3.0 GHZ for example. As far as gaming in general....while they do use more threads you still won't see performance improvements enough to rationalize the price.

I agree with you on the price vs performance argument, that is exactly why I made my statement, for the extra price of an i7 it just isn't worth it over an i5 if you are looking for best gaming performance. Obviously this wouldn't be the case if you did things like video editing, etc... in those cases an i7 can be beneficial.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8227/devils-canyon-review-intel-core-i7-4790k-and-i5-4690k/5

http://techbuyersguru.com/haswellgaming.php

Performance per dollar breakdown:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-6.html

Reddit thread discussing this very topic:

Older but still valid:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7189/choosing-a-gaming-cpu-september-2013/10

Some people also mention "future proofing" which is sorta silly in the PC gaming world, by the time games come close to supporting what an i7 offers (hyper threading) vs an i5 it would be time to upgrade anyway. Some games are starting to get there. Edit: I should also mention, and this is still up in the air since it is so new, DX12 putting more of the load on GPUs vs CPUs... so even looking at the future i'd say an I5 if the way to go.

Edited by StandingCow

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

DCS don't use the hyper threading technology. That will not change with DCS 2: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=135473

Speed (high frequency) is the key.

Afaik HT is done by the CPU alone and does not need any programming to be used, in comparison to SMP capable software.

You can none the less, deactivate it in Bios, but I dont think it affects DCS.

If your CPU is too slow HT wont save you, if your CPU is fast enough, HT is without use as your DCS thread fits into one column/core in task Manager. That's how I see it.

When I did my CPU/MB upgrade, I studied this issue to death. Since pretty much ALL I use my gaming computer for is DCSW, I settled on the i5 4690K vs the i7. As has been said, it provides pretty much everything DCS needs currently and of course the price is easier to take. As Jaypee said however, if one is using their PC for things other than DCS certainly the i7 price point and performance may very well be worth it.

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

DCS don't use the hyper threading technology. That will not change with DCS 2: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=135473

Speed (high frequency) is the key.

HT is not a program feature, dont mix it up with SMP support, which is something similar but not the same.

One could say, for progs that dont do SMP by nature there is HyperThreading.

HT works with ANYTHING, you do not need to program anything.

SMP ( Symetric Multi Processing ) ONLY works with programs that have it in the code, DCS does not, EF2000 as of 1990-something already had it LoL,

it could make use of a Pentium Pro CPU setup with 2 CPU's installed. That is like...TWENTY YEARS ago !!!

Outclassed by a Flight Sim program that was written in the early 90's and was State Of The Art for it's time, and still is in some regards ( Dynamic Campaign, CooP Campaign at will, and many more features that would suite DCS very well.

Bit

• Like 1

• ED Team

I have recently changed to a i7 4790k from a fx8350 I feel I made a good choice and I am very happy with performance so far.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

i7 = i5 + hyper threading. No hyper threading support, essentially zero improvement. Videos games generally never support hyper threading. Also I hope the 24 GB memory weren't meant for gaming because then you've been scammed up the butt.

• ED Team
Saw this on Imgur and it gave me a laugh :D

http://imgur.com/gallery/EEdKeXN

That made me chuckle as well :)

i7 = i5 + hyper threading. No hyper threading support, essentially zero improvement. Videos games generally never support hyper threading. Also I hope the 24 GB memory weren't meant for gaming because then you've been scammed up the butt.

I am no expert but I have seen a real improvement since upgrading, and that is all that matters to me.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I don't think i5's have hyper threading at all ))) so there is no "="

STEAM

asus p8z68-v gen3, 2600k@4,5ghz(w/c), 16gb, 1080ti(w/c), ch fighterstick/gvl224-4000-8, ch pro throttle, Oculus Rift CV1+Touch, thrustmaster tx