Driving me nuts: Can't contact the ATC

skendzie

Grrr. I'm very frustrated :helpsmilie: The ATC is treating me like ever girl I've ever had a crush on.

No matter what I try, I cannot get a response from the ATC tower. I tried in the cold start instant action and the campaign. I'm starting it up by the book and I've tried with both the engines on and engines off. I tried editing the mission and resaving to convert it to the newest DCS mission file. Nothing. The radio is set to the proper channel. I have no idea what to do :(

Has anyone gotten in touch with the ATC in the MiG-21? If so, how and it there anyway to provide a track so I can see?? I'm so desperate...pls respond.

Grrr. I'm very frustrated :helpsmilie: The ATC is treating me like every girl I've ever had a crush on.

Hehe.

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Terrains - Bigger maps

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!

• 4 weeks later...

Make sure that you follow the start up checklist as it is in the manual if starting from cold and dark.

Another thing that might be a problem is that although you set the radio station in the ATC menu, you also need to set the frequency in the cockpit, unlike many other planes. On the right wall of the cockpit, RV9-13, there is a black box with a switch that looks like a red cross. You have to twist it until the number of the ATC station is set. The ATC stations are on the kneeboard. ctrl up, and then ctrl left until you get to this. For example, Nalchik is channel 14 and Sochi is channel 17.

Hope this helps.

Boeing 737 NG instructor at Simulator Centrum in Bratislava, Slovakia

Read what Yott wrote four posts above. It's bug introduced with 1.2.16. - radio refuses to work when AC inverter is off.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Also try the approach where you change any minor thing in the Mission Editor , save it, and then ATC is your friend once again.

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

Don't forget to use the keybind for Radio PTT rather than the key for the communications menu.

To my knowledge there is only one key for radio comms in the mig 21 and it's the PTT button.

Read what Yott wrote four posts above. It's bug introduced with 1.2.16. - radio refuses to work when AC inverter is off.

AC inverter? I can't see an AC inverter switch anywhere...

Screen_150506_165856.thumb.jpg.c5c504c51d5fe0f2a1538c29b5f36728.jpg

Edited by Nooch

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

To my knowledge there is only one key for radio comms in the mig 21 and it's the PTT button.

There is also the Intercomm button, which is bound to \ (or the # key if like me you've got a UK keyboard), which is normally the easy comms menu in the other modules.

AC inverter? I can't see an AC inverter switch anywhere...

The inverters are next to the battery heat switch, but I think he means the AC Gen switch.

Edited by Buzzles

There is also the Intercomm button, which is bound to \ (or the # key if like me you've got a UK keyboard), which is normally the easy comms menu in the other modules.

The inverters are next to the battery heat switch, but I think he means the AC Gen switch.

Well I know it may seem weird but actually there is an exception with this module. There is only one button for communications: the PTT button. It's \ by default and to make things even more confusing it is labeled "intercomm" in the commands menu. You can check it is the ptt button because you can see the orange button on the throttle being pushed as well.

I made sure the AC Gen was ON, and still can't contact ATC :cry:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well I know it may seem weird but actually there is an exception with this module. There is only one button for communications: the PTT button. It's \ by default and to make things even more confusing it is labeled "intercomm" in the commands menu. You can check it is the ptt button because you can see the orange button on the throttle being pushed as well.

I made sure the AC Gen was ON, and still can't contact ATC :cry:

Sorry, yeap, you're right. There is indeed only the one for the Mig.

Curiously, you're not trying to go by the channel chart inside the cockpit are you when you pick the channel? It's wrong. It's off by a number.

Use the mission editor to check, and make a note of which channel in the radio list actually corresponds to the your chosen airport. Batumi for instance is 131 Mhz, which is set as Ch 3 on the radio dial.

Once you're 100% of the channel == airport frequency, you really shouldn't have any problems contacting the tower once the airplane has started up.

As a second point, make sure you also try with a brand new self made mission, some of the older missions that come with the mod need opening then resaving for the radio to work properly.

I use the kneeboard to find channel numbers. So far I've had troubles contacting the ATC mostly in the quickstart and training missions. I set channel 14 for Nalchik but it won't work. I guess it has something to do with the radio frequency presets in the mission file itself...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I use the kneeboard to find channel numbers. So far I've had troubles contacting the ATC mostly in the quickstart and training missions. I set channel 14 for Nalchik but it won't work. I guess it has something to do with the radio frequency presets in the mission file itself...

Seriously, make your own simple take off mission and see if it works in that. The radio will be set at the defaults, when 14 is indeed Nalchik (The kneeboard radio is correct for the defaults fwiw).

The problem here is that the radio selector numbers don't correspond with the canopy frame info. If you look on the canopy frame to the right the list of airport numbers goes from 1-20. The selector knob goes from 0-19, 0 and 1 are default and AUX channels not airports. In the list 1 and 2 are the AUX channels 3-20 are airports corresponding to 2-19 on the selector knob.

For example Sochi-Adler is airport 18 but this will be number 17 on the selector knob. Confusing I know and probably overlooked.

Like has been said to find the correct channel use the kneeboard.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org