Huey EGT limitations... Test Flight...

DSPALLASVI

Ah, thanks for the corrective message, I wasn't aware they were that far out!

Will still make the triggers but, just like you said, only as a Mission Editor training then...

By the way, given your example,

Std day, 15°C, QNH 1013/760/2992, wind 090/6kts

Hover OGE, alt 100ft

GW: ~4200kg/9200lb

what could be the correct number?

ASUS Sabertooth X79 TUF Motherboard / Intel Core i7-3930K Unlocked Processor Six Core / Corsair CMP32GX3M4X1600C10 Dominator Memory Kit - 32GB (4x 8GB) / OCZ Solid 3 480GB Solid State Drive / EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW+ / Corsair CW-9060002-WW Hydro H70 CORE CPU Cooler / Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB Hard Drive / BenQ XL2420TX 24" Widescreen LED Gaming Monitor - 1920 x 1080 / Windows 7 Ultimate Edition, 64-bit / C-Tek 12-bit: Foot Pedals - Robinson Cyclic - 5-button-hat cyclic - Collective / TrackIR-5

Ah, thanks for the corrective message, I wasn't aware they were that far out!

Will still make the triggers but, just like you said, only as a Mission Editor training then...

By the way, given your example,

what could be the correct number?

That´s not easy to answer. I don´t have temperature charts for the engine.

But from the charts I have and after interpolating forward and back:

Std. day-> HOGE @ ~7200ft altitude, +/-0°C OAT, @4200kg, the engine should be just before passing 610°C.

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

• 2 weeks later...

Might be an idea to get used to flying this Huey with all it's "restrictions"; including the observation that the EGT's are waay too critical compared to the RL Huey.

That way when the EGT etc. does get fixed, it will be like flying with an extra bonus....:thumbup: You'll be comfortably within the limits then :):megalol:

ASUS Sabertooth X79 TUF Motherboard / Intel Core i7-3930K Unlocked Processor Six Core / Corsair CMP32GX3M4X1600C10 Dominator Memory Kit - 32GB (4x 8GB) / OCZ Solid 3 480GB Solid State Drive / EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW+ / Corsair CW-9060002-WW Hydro H70 CORE CPU Cooler / Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB Hard Drive / BenQ XL2420TX 24" Widescreen LED Gaming Monitor - 1920 x 1080 / Windows 7 Ultimate Edition, 64-bit / C-Tek 12-bit: Foot Pedals - Robinson Cyclic - 5-button-hat cyclic - Collective / TrackIR-5

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the manual!! Good timing!

Edited by DSPALLASVI
Added

• 9 months later...
Good manual, but there are no infos about failures and exceeded egt in there. Are there some news on this topic? A statement from belsimtek?

The latest I've heard is this Belsimtek-PDF: http://www.belsimtek.com/upload/docs/development-tasks.pdf

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I have to admit that I won't buy another module from these guys until they fix the issues with the Huey. Don't get me wrong I love the Huey but it is certainly not modeled correctly in many aspects from throttle at startup to EGT and I don't recall a Huey ever being able to do a loop which I was successfully able to do a few months ago :huh:.

Still fun to fly and remains my favorite helicopter for DCS but still not realistic at all which to me was at first very disappointing and still remains a great letdown.

Edited by j0nx

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

UH-1 Upgrades...

From the same .pdf that 'TAnker737' mentioned...

1448391929_UH-1Upgrades.thumb.jpg.677f574229ac9c24b992d65c1dd24be3.jpg

I have to admit that I won't buy another module from these guys until they fix the issues with the Huey. Don't get me wrong I love the Huey but it is certainly not modeled correctly in many aspects from throttle at startup to EGT and I don't recall a Huey ever being able to do a loop which I was successfully able to do a few months ago :huh:.

Still fun to fly and remains my favorite helicopter for DCS but still not realistic at all which to me was at first very disappointing and still remains a great letdown.

I think the looping will be gone if belsimtek implements the torque limit for the rotor.

These are not things that should be that difficult for them to do. The difficult parts like the models, controls, etc are already done so this is just modification to the flight dynamics and engine management. I honestly don't understand why they haven't done them and completed this module after this many years??

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

AFAIK the Shark has a heat-induced damage model, and IIRC some recent(ish) changelog stated that the Hip APU got one as well, but I'm not sure about its main engines. The Huey, OTOH, is regrettably still lacking it after all these years.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

I've been trying to keep EGT in the green arc, but wow, using the engine de-icer as you do with the Medevac campaign mission1 and it's a challenge. That must raise EGT by 10-15%. The pitot heater is all but useless as well. Wonder if that is acccurate.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

R7 5800X3D / 32GB / VPC T-50 CM2 Base and CM3 Throttle with TM Hornet Grip / RTX 4080 Super / Meta Quest Pro

Hi all

Very interesting topic here. Is this issue relevant to the Mi-8 and Ka-50 as well. Not implemented their either?

I had some problems with engine failure in Nevada whilst hover attacking in the Kamov one sunny day (38 degs C at altitude). The Hip engines also seem to work very hard in these dry and hot conditions.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

One more question for you Huey drivers, how common IRL is it to venture north of the EGT green arc? In other words, at higher altitudes or at high density altitude it seems almost impossible to takeoff and hover with a full load while keeping the needle inside the green arc. I see yellow and red marks. Is it common to operate in this area for short periods of time? TIA

R7 5800X3D / 32GB / VPC T-50 CM2 Base and CM3 Throttle with TM Hornet Grip / RTX 4080 Super / Meta Quest Pro

Might be an idea to get used to flying this Huey with all it's "restrictions"; including the observation that the EGT's are waay too critical compared to the RL Huey.

That way when the EGT etc. does get fixed, it will be like flying with an extra bonus....:thumbup: You'll be comfortably within the limits then :):megalol:

Just for those that are interested, those restrictions are called "limitations", specifically "engine limitations". If you're trying to look up things of that nature it would help to use those terms. Just some FYI. :thumbup:

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

One more question for you Huey drivers, how common IRL is it to venture north of the EGT green arc?

Not too:

EGT Continuous

400-610

EGT 30 Minutes

610-625

EGT Maximum 30 minutes

EGT 10 seconds starting and acceleration

625-675

EGT 5 seconds starting and acceleration

675-760

EGT Maximum

Source: https://quizlet.com/5926300/uh-1-ops-limits-flash-cards/

Compare those values with what you see in the sim and you'll notice that our chopper is way, waaay off.

Not too:

EGT Continuous

400-610

Source: https://quizlet.com/5926300/uh-1-ops-limits-flash-cards/

Compare those values with what you see in the sim and you'll notice that our chopper is way, waaay off.

That's very helpful msalama. Thanks for linking. Probably the one that I would use most is EGT 10 seconds starting and acceleration 625-675. Good to know that you have a wee bit of time out of the green if needed.

Edit: Are you saying that the sim is way off in that a pilot doesn't pay a penalty for going out of the green, or that the EGT modeling doesn't appear correct? Anyway, I plan to respect those numbers in a quest for keeping it "real".

Edited by Chipwich

Edit: Are you saying that the sim is way off in that a pilot doesn't pay a penalty for going out of the green, or that the EGT modeling doesn't appear correct?

Both. First, our Huey has no temperature-induced damage model whatsoever. Plus it seems our engine is underpowered too, so we're getting overtly high EGT values for corresponding collective settings vs. the real thing.

BST has said they're going to rectify these errors, but it has been this way for years already. So here's hoping that they eventually get around to fixing them actually ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Both. First, our Huey has no temperature-induced damage model whatsoever. Plus it seems our engine is underpowered too, so we're getting overtly high EGT values for corresponding collective settings vs. the real thing.

BST has said they're going to rectify these errors, but it has been this way for years already. So here's hoping that they eventually get around to fixing them actually ;)

I'm glad this thread is going. It's something I've noticed long ago and have been really annoyed with. There are too many times that you have to fly way out of limitations as far as the EGT is concerned to get and stay airborne in the Huey. There is no damage modeled what so ever. You can fly as far out of the green in the EGT for as long as you want and nothing will happen. I really hope they fix these issues. the Huey is my favorite.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

Made the EGT triggers in this thread's post # 1 (which was DCS v 1.2* at the time) for EXACTLY that same reason; find that they still work in / with DCS 1.5 (May 06, 2016)...

It's quite simple, you'll loose your engine when your EGT is outside it's recommended temperature range AND time frame!

Of course there's no external damage to be seen when you fly with EGTs out of the appropriate range, nor will there be an indication on your gauges, but you'll kill the engine nonetheless with these triggers...

First thing you'll notice is the noisy audible alarm coming on, and around the same time, a nose yawing noticeably to the left...

With these 'EGT' triggers in place, now I always check the EGT & Torque gauges immediately after ANY power changes I've made... making sure they're still within the limits.

Have attached here three pics;

- The first two show the triggers' 'EGT range / Time frame' settings,

- and the third shows the EGT Triggers' ranges that I have used, taken from the official (RL) Huey Manual.

Note: Just flew a DCS 1.5 flight before posting this and, when the EGT was above 675° for 5 seconds for example, the engine simply quits.... and now you're practicing full-down auto-rotations...

Edit 1: Ignore the "Message to Group" in the "Actions" column, as that was only used to test out the 'EGT' triggers...

The reason for the "message" was, so that I was notified which trigger was activated and at what time, while flying.

The message is not needed when implementing these EGT triggers in any mission, as these Triggers just sit there in the background... simply waiting for the pilot to violate the EGT ranges :music_whistling:

Edit 2: Just in case 'BSS_Sniper' gets into a tissy again:), the EGT ranges I mentioned above, are LIMITATIONS.. to be even more specific, they're 'ENGINE LIMITATIONS' :thumbup:

But keep in mind, they're engine limitations within the frame that we use Belsimtek's Huey.... i.e. now you can choose to fly outside of the EGT limitations, but you''l be paying a price for it. :gun_sniper::smartass:

Maybe check your 'weight & balance' and fuel load against the mission's needs...:music_whistling:

1593175789_EGT1.jpg.ade1de26b2ba010ca7e4dc7794d9ebcf.jpg

188117756_EGT2.jpg.e0195ea126870f27c61ee8b651a7f6f6.jpg

1431672210_HueyEGTManual.jpg.adda1e8cecbd9329809893a3f26bd8e0.jpg

Edited by DSPALLASVI
Add clarification