How to find'em?

rvotri

I found so hard to see enemy ground units , even after the pass , i mean , i make every pass , i have to almost kiss my monitor to see where They are to attack again , in most times, i just find Them When they shoot me so i trace bullet paths back to Them . So , my question is : Is possible to mark ground throught the hud to make a new easily pass ? I mean like in the standalone " A10 Warthog 's diamond cue ." I use labels to find'em , but it's kinda cheat and the amount of names make hard to aim . Due the lack of systems and spare of simplifications into FC3 , that is a lot of things i used to do that now i can not , for example , the hud 's circle from AA mode can be uncaged ? I didnt ' found the way to the and its a lot harder to lock with that stuck in the top of the hud .

Who cares...

I found so hard to see enemy ground units , even after the pass , i mean , i make every pass , i have to almost kiss my monitor to see where They are to attack again , in most times, i just find Them When they shoot me so i trace bullet paths back to Them .

Zoom view is your friend for finding targets. In the real world there aren't view distance limitations and people have much better vision than 1080p.

So , my question is : Is possible to mark ground through the hud to make a new easily pass ?

If you have bomb I guess you could use the pipper to lock a spot on the ground and keep that as your reference point. However I think many people, myself included, focus too much on the cockpit and less on the world around you. Every time I find a unit to prosecute I look at what is around it so when I come around for my pass I can use those references to find it easily.

The A10a relies more on visual awareness and a sense of position relative to your targets; less on weapons and other systems.

[can] the hud 's circle from AA mode can be uncaged

Don't think so

Thanks for reply BinaryMan, well so is that? Aw man, i was in hope that i could use some kind of helper. I'll be honest, i have a lot of problems with surroundings awarenes :(, when i do the 180 turn is like that the place was whole changed. XD... Anyway, guess is time to practice this...

Who cares...

Hi, I totally feel for you. Im quite new to DCS myself, and when I started, I could never figure out how the hell people could even see those ground targets.

Now, I still struggle, but I am getting much better. It really comes down to practice, eventually your eyes learn what to look for.

dont give up! :)

Thanks for reply BinaryMan, well so is that? Aw man, i was in hope that i could use some kind of helper. I'll be honest, i have a lot of problems with surroundings awarenes :(, when i do the 180 turn is like that the place was whole changed. XD... Anyway, guess is time to practice this...

I use towns, road, intersections, units that I have killed previously (still emitting smoke) as references.

Look on the bright side, the A10 has a crazy ridiculous view angles from the cockpit. You can even look right behind you. If you were trying to learn the su25 you'd have a much harder time. The A10a is a greater learner craft.

Hi, I totally feel for you. Im quite new to DCS myself, and when I started, I could never figure out how the hell people could even see those ground targets.

Now, I still struggle, but I am getting much better. It really comes down to practice, eventually your eyes learn what to look for.

I had loads of problems when I first started too!

dont give up! :)

^^^

Agree with all the earlier posters and I'll add: get a large screen TV if you can afford it (I'm using a 47" LG HDTV).

It seems much easier to spot targets on the larger screen than on a small monitor and air targets are easier to see as well (IMHO).

Its not going to help if its not a higher resolution.

4K now 6 K, I'll wait for 12 K then I get my eyes replaced. OP, you could add voice triggers as JTAC talk ons. That way you know the area description to look at. Smoke markers can help too.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

A different approach could also be to use a Label Mod.

My labels.lua file is changed so that it shows me a small mark for ground units that are 5km away, and once I get closer to the target, the mark goes away. It helps in the sense that I can keep track of where the target is in general, but I still have to visually acquire when I get closer.

Maintain thy airspeed lest the ground rise up and smite thee!

YiizHx5.gif

• 3 weeks later...

In the real world account of the air war over Kosovo called "A10s Over Kosovo" the A10 pilots talk about using binoculars in the cockpit to find targets - perhaps we could have that option in DCS. Press the binocular key and get a simulated view through a pair of binoculars?

BTW the book "A10s Over Kosovo" in pdf form is here - very good read

http://aupress.maxwell.af.mil/digital/pdf/book/b_0090_haave_haun_a10s_over_kosovo.pdf

A different approach could also be to use a Label Mod.

My labels.lua file is changed so that it shows me a small mark for ground units that are 5km away, and once I get closer to the target, the mark goes away. It helps in the sense that I can keep track of where the target is in general, but I still have to visually acquire when I get closer.

Woow woo wooww! That's great, i already thought about this once, but i couldn't find the specific file to edit, did you made it by yourself or is it some mod?

Who cares...

Agree with all the earlier posters and I'll add: get a large screen TV if you can afford it (I'm using a 47" LG HDTV).

It seems much easier to spot targets on the larger screen than on a small monitor and air targets are easier to see as well (IMHO).

Yea! I got a 32' TV, but, even thats's written (HD Ready) in front of it, when i use any "p" resolution ("720, 1080"), the sim becomes like a cartoon, i noticed that everything is more detailed, but is like there's too much Aliasing and cartoon like colors... Dunno if it's my tv or something else, i guess isn't my video card, since it's a R9 280X 3Gigs...

Who cares...

Well, i gues my problem is that i came from the Ace Combat Fracnhise... Where you have to do nothin more than wait lock fire and turn...

The fact is... "Harder to find targets" are more challenging, and that's the real deal... So i will put myself at the stress practice on my free time to get the hang of this...

I watch videos from guys flying around in y0utub and i get amazed o what is possible to do...

Who cares...