DCS Cross the Pond - Community Event

104th_Maverick

7tmmA3R.jpg

DCS Cross the Pond 15-1

Sunday 26th July

17:00z

What is it?

Cross the Pond is a transatlantic event on the VATSIM network that hundreds of clients take part in to fly non stop from Europe to North America. On VATSIM all aircraft for the event are given a full ATC service for the duration of their flight with departure time slots, its an outstanding event that every hard core flight sim enthusiast should take part in!

Cool story bro, what's this got to do with DCS?

Well we've decided to create a DCS version of this event in the hope that people will enjoy something different.

Obviously we cannot fly from Europe to North America within DCS so instead we propose to do laps around the Black Sea to the rough equivalent distance of a transatlantic hop (approx 4 hours).

Each aircraft will be assigned a specific Flight Plan including Altitudes to hold with this Flight Plan also being programmed into the aircraft's waypoints.

The Flight Plan routes will be published so all users can view the routing of their aircraft and others.

Tankers???

Tankers will be available on route and clients are encouraged to use them to provide a little more realism and variety to the flight. Due to the existing infinite fuel bug in DCS when using the tanker all users MUST make sure they break away (disconnect) from the tanker BEFORE they are fully topped up with fuel.

Waiting until the tanks are full or pressing 'Abort Refuel' both result in infinite fuel once connected. So its important to break away early instead, this way you will be able to connect again to the tanker later on and also land with a sensible weight.

F-15-EAGLE-FLIES-WITH-KC-135-STRATOTANKER81.jpg

But what about the ATC part?

We plan to use LotATC to provide a full ATC service using VATSIM accredited ATC Controllers and pilots in the near future, however this first event will sadly not feature a full compliment of ATC until we have worked out the logistics of implementing it all. For now we will only have ATC at Ground, Tower, Departure and Approach levels.

We will also publish some tutorials on how to interact with civilian ATC and what you should be doing for those who are not experienced VATSIM pilots.

But what about the radio's?

We're aware of the programs out there that cater for this type of radio channel switching within DCS that would be ideally suited for the event but we want to stick to an un-modded platform for the event so its open to users of all levels.

We intend to use TeamSpeak for all communications with Controllers moving clients to the channels they need to be in, eg. The Ground Controller will move you to the Tower Channel when you're taxing to the active runway, then the Tower Controller moves you to Departure after takeoff.

We feel this is a good compromise that still simulates a realistic ATC interaction and is simple and straight forward.

Sounds ok, but 4+ hours in the air!!!

We understand this part won't appeal to everyone, but for those among us who have spent many an hour flying on Flight Simulator in commercial airliners this should hopefully be a welcome addition to their DCS MP experience. As mentioned, Tankers will also be present in the mission giving a good opportunity to break the cruise up into segments.

You can fly in formation on your own or with your own Squadron, pop in to say hi to the 104th formation, buddy up with some mates, chill out and have a beer. TS Chat rooms will be provided for those in cruise for users to interact and have a chat and meet some new faces.

Full participation in the event is also not required, you can join in for as long as you want, we'll also be happy to have circuit traffic out of the departing and arriving airfield Tbilisi.

Contrails%20from%20Maple%20Flag%20Fighter%20jets.jpg

But I don't fly Fast Jet

Hey no one's perfect right! ;) I'm joking! We're opening this event to every aircraft, you can bring your favourite aircraft along for the event. Obviously if you cannot refuel you're unlikely to keep up with aircraft that can however you are welcome to try :)

You can also land to refuel when required if you cannot take fuel mid air.

Tankers will be available for A-10 at slower speeds than the jet jocks, Russian Tankers will also be provided for SU33 crews.

Can I be ATC?

If you are interested in taking part in this event or future events as a controller please PM me.

If you know what you're doing then yes there is a good chance you can take part. Ideally we want to stick to VATSIM rated controllers or pilots with a enough experience to know how the role operates.

We will not be enforcing any airspace restrictions so knowledge of the airfield is not required. The service will be basic but comprehensive, there will be departure and arrival procedures however these will fictional and not the real world templates. We want to make the event as easy as possible for the regular Joe who has never flown on VATSIM before but with a good dose of realism for those who know what they're doing.

How do I take part?

Simply sign up below in this thread with your name, type of aircraft, nationality and how long you expect to take part for, eg.

104th_Maverick

F-15C

Scotland

4 hours

We hope to host up to 50 clients in this event, there will be no weapons and it will not count towards any MP scoring.

We hope to see you there!

ATC Tutorial and Transcript Documents

HERE

CTP 15/1

Flight Plans

Fast Jet

42s628L.jpg

Leave Bullseye for WHISKY then track back to Bullseye, leave Bullseye for INDIA then track back to Bullseye.

Track Length : 2054 Miles (excluding refuelling)

Flight Time : Approx 4 hours

Tankers on Station at Bullseye, TEXACO & ARCO

F-15C

Bullseye = WP4, 6 & 8

WHISKEY = WP5

INDIA = WP7

SU27 - Mig29

Bullseye = WP5, 7 & 9

WHISKEY = WP6

INDIA = WP8

Slow Jet

HHDdFgB.jpg

Leave Bullseye for WHISKY, turn right for INDIA, right turn inbound Bullseye

Track Length : 1305 Miles (excluding refuelling)

Flight Time : Approx 4 hours

A-10

Bullseye - WP4 & 7

WHISKY - WP5

INDIA - WP6

Tankers on Station at Bullseye, SHELL

Mig21

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-kblpXh6aYoR2dmZndGbThIclE/view

P-51

VFR Vectors

Radio Communications!

We are going to use our Teamspeak3 Server for the communication. We have come up with a novel way to get over the issue of changing channels that we think will work very well indeed, without the need for any addons to be installed.

We are taking advantage of the Hotkey functionality of Teamspeak to set up a Radio System.

Users are to set up hotkeys using the 'F' keys or others if they choose, we recommend the F1, F2, F3 keys as no external views will be available for the event. For example...

F1 = Ground

F2 = Tower

F3 = Departure

F4= Approach

F5 = Unicom

This way users can change Teamspeak channels as if they are tuning into a radio station, you simply press a button instead of tuning a radio or having to Alt+Tab!

How you set up Hotkeys...

Start by going to Settings then Options then HotKeys

JvGnncn.png

Click on Add, then click on the button marked No Hotkey Assigned.

Now press F1 to assign that Hotkey

O1yHUtW.png

Now lick on Show Advanced Actions and select Switch to Channel from the drop down menu.

rFxSNVU.png

Open the next drop down menu named Switch to Channel, now scroll down until you see the channel named ATC CHANNELS/Kutaisi Ground. Open the drop down menu and select on Current Server

c4atAXV.png

Click OK!

Now do the same for F2 - Tower, F3 - Departure, F4 - Approach, F5 - Unicom (Cruise).

Now when you press F1 in game you will auto switch to the Kutaisi Ground Channel! No mods, no fuss! ... ok a little bit of fuss getting the keys set up but we think this is a great compromise to get ATC in DCS!

Instead of Controllers telling you to "contact Tower on 123.4" they will say "Contact Tower on Channel 2".

Sacrificing a little bit of realism for functionality in DCS biggrin.gif

Edited by [Maverick]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

Tankers if you please

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

No, you can join at any point, however we plan to run the event for a max of 6 hours.

As mentioned above flight time will be approx 4 hours, probably closer to 5 hours depending on a few factors.

Ultimately you can join and fly for as long as you like when you like, there will also be ATC at Tbilisi for the entire event so you can always do circuit work.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

Why tutorials and handling about/ with civilian ATC, not milittary ATC?

Nice idea at all. Only the TS3 solution for switching the channel/ radio sounds complicated and doesn't fit in the concept, IMO.

Good luck and have fun.

kind regards,

Fire

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sign me up! I'll probably try and stream from my flight live on my Twitch TV channel... but we'll see...

By the way who will be hosting this server? You're gonna need some massive upload I think?

SkyHawk

F-15C with wing tanks (JASDF one would be nice http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/928975/)

Malta

4 hours

Edited by skyhawkmlt

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If only I could land and refuel at Kogalniceanu AB... I could take the 21... Maybe with some triggeds can be done. The land in Crimea, Romania and Turkey is prety flat...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Is it possible to fly the route in a F-86 or Mig-15 (which would be my first choices)? I am worried because there aren't many "gas-stations" in the western have of the black see map...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

Apo

Probably A-10C

Germany

~4 hours

Since this is still so far out I can't promise 100% that I can make the full 4 hours. Also I would love some kind of cross-country-landing route + tankers? The sea get's so dull and landing here and there might be a little fun? I am also up for weather & night flying. Just suggestions. :)

I understand it is at 1700 but which timezone if I missed that?

If EST then.....

Elmo

FW-190 D-9 or F-86F Saber

EST Canada

4 Hours

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

I think the z after 17:00 means zulu time

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I unfortunately with my working hours am not able to attend now....son of a ......... welcome to life kiddies.

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.