DCS: F-5E!

Python

The BVR missiles and tactics of the 70's was outfaced by the Ambushes tactics. The low level fly non detection was always a limitation. The R-24 and Aim-7 had not a great effective range. So what happened between Syria and Israel was a good example how good was the organization and tactics of the Israel Air Force, while at the other side Syrian Air Force never got a real successful action to stop the constant ambushes by Israel. Probably nothing to do with military technology...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the R-23 saw plenty of action in the Iran war and that would probably be the place it saw the most use / had the most kills.

the R-24 has not seen as much use since its limited to the Mig-23ML,MLA and MLD variants where as all variants could use the R-23

(not all 23ML could use the R-24 it depended on the user)

But it has also seen some combat

Found a list here with a few mentions.

http://www.acig.info/CMS/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=37&Itemid=47

• 2 weeks later...

View in 4:00. <3 Please Belsimtek! Air refueling in F-5.

[ame]

[/ame]
Edited by ThorBrasil

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

:'(

F-5E-3's didn't have in flight refueling.

Are you sure about this, could you source it? I ask because Brazil's original F-5Es had A-A refueling kits even before the modernisation (see photo below), and while there are differences Brazil was actually the priority customer for those Swiss F-5E/Fs but the Brazilian government took too long to authorise the Air Force's purchase and the Americans snagged them. That forced the Brazilian Air Force to procure the 11 aircraft from Jordan instead - this time successfully.

I know these were then upgraded to F-5M standards but I am under the impression the capability was always there, no?

attachment.php?attachmentid=41045&d=1279824197

• Like 1

Are you sure about this, could you source it? I ask because Brazil's original F-5Es had A-A refueling kits even before the modernisation (see photo below), and while there are differences Brazil was actually the priority customer for those Swiss F-5E/Fs but the Brazilian government took too long to authorise the Air Force's purchase and the Americans snagged them. That forced the Brazilian Air Force to procure the 11 aircraft from Jordan instead - this time successfully.

I know these were then upgraded to F-5M standards but I am under the impression the capability was always there, no?

Yes the F-5 Tiger II of Brazil before the modernization had support for aerial refueling.

There were a lot of modifications made to the F-5, to be certain. However, we're getting the F-5E-3 that's being built to a standard factory specification. I would not bet on there being in flight refueling.

Of course there's been a lot of F-5s built and a lot of them had in flight refueling. The first to see combat service with the USAF, the F-5Cs aka Skoshi Tigers, had refueling probes.

It's just that the E-3 never had probes fresh out of the factory.

All that said, having Brazilian or Singaporean F-5s would be beastly holy hell

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

I think all of the F-5Es didn't have probes installed fresh out of the factory (for aerodynamic and visibility reasons), these were added in the form of kits I believe. I could be wrong :)

The Skoshi Tiger probes were added by the USAF rather than Northrop. It's all testament to how flexible and easy to maintain the F-5 is really.

If it is proven in the technical data that a simple modification kit can add A-A refueling capability I'm sure Belsimtek will implement it, and I hope for that. If not, just like the MiG-21 it will still be useful despite the short legs. Actually, considering its capabilities I'm not sure how much of an edge you get with the probe but it's cool either way :D

I think all of the F-5Es didn't have probes installed fresh out of the factory (for aerodynamic and visibility reasons), these were added in the form of kits I believe. I could be wrong :)

The Skoshi Tiger probes were added by the USAF rather than Northrop. It's all testament to how flexible and easy to maintain the F-5 is really.

If it is proven in the technical data that a simple modification kit can add A-A refueling capability I'm sure Belsimtek will implement it, and I hope for that. If not, just like the MiG-21 it will still be useful despite the short legs. Actually, considering its capabilities I'm not sure how much of an edge you get with the probe but it's cool either way :D

and also compared to the mig-21 you can still carry ur full armament and still have 3 droptanks.

while in a mig-21 you have to sacrifice two pylons that could carry missiles in order to get those extra droptanks.

Purely from a "consumer's" point of view, having the added capability of the aerial refueling gives me (us) another skill to master in that airframe - just as the F/A-18 will give us the added skill of carrier landings to learn along with all the other systems to master! :thumbup: This adds an awful lot of value to that, or any module, for that matter. I'd gladly pay a premium for it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Purely from a "consumer's" point of view, having the added capability of the aerial refueling gives me (us) another skill to master in that airframe - just as the F/A-18 will give us the added skill of carrier landings to learn along with all the other systems to master! :thumbup: This adds an awful lot of value to that, or any module, for that matter. I'd gladly pay a premium for it.

Yes it would be the most fun in the F-5E. In addition it would increase the number of aircraft sales.

I'd like to see AAR too. It definitely adds to the depth of modules, and that can never be a bad thing.

AAR?

Air to Air Refuelling.

It's a NATO standard abbreviation.

NATO is an abbreviation for the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation - if you're wondering :music_whistling:

:D

yea but once again the variant they said they are making did not have AAR by default.

I would love another variant with more features but still "factory standard"

Something like the Saudi F-5E would be very nice since it has both AAR aswell as more air-ground functions like the AGM-65.

and also since the Retired Saudi F-5Es are currently for sale there might be the chance to get info about them.

Or maby we can just pool our funds and by one ^^

you can see the armement there aswell as the Refueling probe.

But as stated they have already said what variant they are making and it does not have AAR.

F-5ETigerWeapons.jpg.7d657b592f1c4b9c0519d05302a9d57b.jpg

Edited by mattebubben

I can't wait to get into a gun fight with this little rocket sled! I just hope we don't get stuck only with GAR-8/AIM-9B...those things can't track a compliant airliner with 8 afterburning jets and a giant "LOCK ON HERE" sign.

I also dig this loadout:

f5northrop1.jpg

Questionable source, but I dig the idea of four missiles. If we have to fire from rear aspect, let's hope they have some speed on them.

Edited by Zilch

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Zilch79's YouTube Channel:

lso dig this loadout:

f5northrop1.jpg

Questionable source, but I dig the idea of four missiles. If we have to fire from rear aspect, let's hope they have some speed on them.

Only AIM-9P and B are the confirmed A2A weapons, no Python-3s like in your picture there. Though It'd be nice if BST modeled a J as an intermediary missile between those two.

As for 4 A2A pylons, good luck on that. AFAIK base model F-5Es just had a pair of wingtip pylons.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

When it comes to the Aim-9P we will hopefully get an Aim-9P4 or P5 that are All aspect variants.

Ontop of the Rear aspect Aim-9P already in the game (Aim-9P3).

And The F-5 on that picture is most likley a Brazilian F-5EM.

And while some upgraded upgraded variants are made to carry 4 air-air missiles the vast majority of F-5s can only carry 2 and all F-5s came with only 2 pylons Aim-9 Ready as factory standard.

And if we get the Aim-9P4 or Aim-9P5 it should be capable enough.

But the F-5 is no air superiority fighter.

Its a Light "multirole"

So it never had the need to carry large amounts of Air-Air ordnance to complete its mission.

Not too fussed about the 2x sidewinders... but the failure to include Maverick will make it a no-buy for me. There are simply too many mission requirements that the F-5E would be incapable of in multiplayer without it. It would have no ability to degrade SHORAD, no ability to attack anything armoured, and no stand-off attack.

F-5E without Maverick would be pretty useless in online play without vast, vast changes to the mission sets. Given that the F-5E is the exception- the 70s bird among moderns, without a full set of contemporaries with which to fly, and contemporary ADA systems against which to fight- it will almost certainly not have missions made to suit it online; it will instead be the severely crippled underdog trying to fit into a much higher threat environment than it can handle. Not sure I'm interested in that.