Comm menu not working

Rob8861

Hi,

Is anyone having issues with the comm menu in the KA-50. I am unable to communicate with either my wingman or the ATC? even if I manually change the frequency, it still does not work.

the comm menu ( '\') is working fine on all other aircrafts I own. Only the Ka-50 seems glitchy.

Is this a new bug introduced in one of the recent patches? Does ED know about it?

• 2 weeks later...

I tried everything but nothing seems to be working

the R800L radio ain't doing squat.

changing the SPU-9 also not doing anything.

however, once I land on a FARP or airport, I can communicate with the ground crew with no issues.

so the problem is only when I am flying and trying to radio with my wingmen or ATC.

I also noticed that if I use the hot keys commands to communicate (Lwin + W for example), the pilot does say the command but the wingmen do not reply back nor do they do anything.

so something here is pretty messed up.

I'll file a bug report.

I tried everything but nothing seems to be working

the R800L radio ain't doing squat.

changing the SPU-9 also not doing anything.

however, once I land on a FARP or airport, I can communicate with the ground crew with no issues.

so the problem is only when I am flying and trying to radio with my wingmen or ATC.

I also noticed that if I use the hot keys commands to communicate (Lwin + W for example), the pilot does say the command but the wingmen do not reply back nor do they do anything.

so something here is pretty messed up.

I'll file a bug report.

I believe you communicate with the ground crew on intercom.

What mission/campaign does this happen on and what freq do you have on the radio?

Try the instant mission - weapons range (last one i think) - works?

I had just had the some problem and the two solutions buried in these threads that worked for me were to:

1. Copy/Move the training mission files (.miz and .lua) to /username/Saved Games/DCS/Missions

2. Use RAlt+\

Hope that solves your Comm problem.

As has been said/hinted before:

1) Disable Easy communication. It seems to be broken and causes more trouble than it's worth.

2) After take-off/while airborne, always use SPU-9 PTT under Controls -> Ins Cyclic Stick to initiate comms.

3) Make sure the correct frequency/channel is dialed in with the radios and the SPU-9 Radio communicator selector is set to the appropriate radio.

Consult the briefing and/or the mission for frequencies.

4) If none of the above helps, post a track. Make it short, make it precise, describe it (what did you do vs. what did you try to achieve?) and state your currently installed version of DCS when you post a track (actually, state it anyways, so we're not trying to debug something that has been solved 2 years ago ;)).

Details...

I am using DCS version 1.2.16.39472 on Windows 7 and playing the KA-50 training mission "Datalink and Wingmen" from BigfootMSR.

Disabling "EASY COMMUNICATION" and using RAlt+\ only works if you also copy the training mission from the KA-50 training folder and put it in your /username/Saved Games/DCS/Missions folder and open it from the mission menu.

I also noticed that even though I have labels turned off, they still appear when I play from the training section. However, when I play from the mission section the labels are off. It appears that when playing from the training folder there are some gameplay settings that get turned on.

Dare I speculate...

It looks like the real issue is that easy communication does not work correctly. But, the problem is compounded because even if you turn off easy communication it seems to still be on when playing from the training menu.

Details... [...]

Good post!

But when asking for details, I was actually referring to Rob8861. ;)

Let me try the training missions tonight and see if the same things happen when I play them from the training menu. Would be good to know in case others have the same problem in the future.

After I did as he says in this post. http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2425271&postcount=11

"You may have to load up mission in mission editor and resave to bring up to current version of DCS (can fix some radio issues)"

This seems to solved my com problems in training mode! Have not tested it in real mode yet!

Now I have communication with wingmen using "Ralt+ \ for SPU-9 PTT for using radio call to wingman"

Edited by Strix
  • Like 1

Win 10 64. GTX1080 ti 11 Gb, Intel i-5, 16 Gb ram, SSD 1,5 Tb, 2 Terrabyte HD, Monitor ASUS XG32V 144Hz, Slaw Milans Rudder Pedals BF109F :thumbup:, Joystick - HOTAS Warthog, Throttle - HOTAS Warthog, TrackIR V5. Pimax 5.

...mission "Datalink and Wingmen" from BigfootMSR.

Are two issues relate with COMM in Ka-50:

The "Easy Communications" (default \) dont work. Fix is disable this mode and using the COMM setting the properly frequencys in rádios (or using a more "realistic" radio simulation).

And a issue in the training missions, probable due be done in old version and some script get broken.

For what I test, checking frequency in ME, dont using "Easy Comm'... still not able to find solution for this case.

I just wrote a lengthy reply which was obsoleted in the mean time by newer - and more accurate - posts. :)

From what I can tell, when using the "Training" main menu item, DCS prefers the game options that are set in the file "options" which is usually part of any .miz file.

These options appear to be a snapshot of the current DCS configuration at the time they are saved, from the computer where they are saved.

It would appear that BigfootMSR had Easy communication and Labels set to on when he saved these missions (and ran a screen resolution of 1920*1080 on a single screen, with heat blur and mirrors On, so we can assume he had a relatively decent machine at the time :D).

If one of us opens the training mission in the ME and saves it, the options file will reflect our current DCS configuration, so if we have Easy communication set to off, it'll be set to off in the mission as well, effectively "repairing" the mission.

Once again, it looks as if this "options" file is only really used from the main menu item "Training". If we run a mission from "Mission" or "Mission Editor", the options file is ignored and our actual configuration is used.

I also checked where "Enforced" mission options are stored: these are part of the "mission" file within the .miz archive, they're not stored in the "options" file.

• 3 weeks later...

It would appear that BigfootMSR had Easy communication and Labels set to on when he saved these missions (and ran a screen resolution of 1920*1080 on a single screen, with heat blur and mirrors On, so we can assume he had a relatively decent machine at the time :D).

Thank you Yurgon, I do have quite a nice machine :thumbup:. I have upgraded to two screens now though hahaha. I was not aware that when creating the missions my settings file would have been included.. That is interesting. But, I am also not really sure how to go about fixing it since the training mission have been included into the game itself. They did just release a fix for the easy comms issues, but I am not sure if this fixes this issue or not. Can somebody check it out?

• Like 1

DCS: A10C Warthog JTAC coordinate entry training mission http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/99424/

DCS: Blackshark 2 interactive training missions http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=84612

They did just release a fix for the easy comms issues, but I am not sure if this fixes this issue or not. Can somebody check it out?

Good point. I just tested the Datalink mission from the Training menu and it worked fine. The wingmen acknowledged the order to change formation and then moved into their new positions, so it seems ED's comms fix also fixed the affected missions. :thumbup: