Russian missiles - usage, bug, problems, advantages

tovivan

I´m pretty sure the Syrian Su-35S video is carrying RVV-SD, not AE. But this missile, although "new" it´s only a gap solution until the more advance Izdeliye-180 could enter service along the R-74M/M2 and the R-37/M.

Edited by Esac_mirmidon

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one said it's a bad missile though; just over-rated. So far R-77 has been an export missile, the Russian Forces are not known to have used it at all. Every conversation with the guys who talk to the pilots has ended with 'they don't train with it, they don't see it in inventory'.

So I conclude that what you showed is not an R-77, but an RVV-SD :)

Maybe is more Expensive? or the russian have a lot of R-27ER in stock with no use? lot of answers! What I can tell you is that russian are not stupid to take their best aircraft with a bad missile in a war zone

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I've seen slammers do it.

There's only one (major) fix for all this and that's guidance.

The other is the missile mod's drag fix (again, IMHO the drag is very excessive on missiles in DCS) but that won't save you from guidance, either :)

RVV or R-77, truth is that it really sucks big time in DCS, I have never seen a missile bleed its speed so abruptly that it looks like it put its air brakes or reverse thrust on.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I've seen slammers do it.

There's only one (major) fix for all this and that's guidance.

The other is the missile mod's drag fix (again, IMHO the drag is very excessive on missiles in DCS) but that won't save you from guidance, either :)

I agree with this! hope they fix the guidance!

i have played ALOT of mig 29 in DCS and it has about 1/2 of a 120c it's only good up close it turns well. from the looks it should compare to • AIM-120A/B: 55–75 km (30–40 nmi) but it's more like 25KM effective range.

Russia's state-run arms exporter Rosoboronexport has inked a contract with Malaysia for the delivery of 35 Vympel R-77 RVV-AE air-to-air missiles for the Malaysian Air Force.

Rosoboronexport's Deputy General Director Nikolai Dimidyuk told RIA Novosti that the $35m contract was signed at the ongoing arms show, Defense Services Asia-2012 held in Malaysia.

35 missiles for 35m.......this probabily includes some kind of support for the missiles maby spare parts or something but that's $$$$

Edited by OldE24
  • Like 1

8700k@4.7 32GB ram, 1080TI hybrid SC2

I'm talking about the old R-77and the relative new RVV-SD.

This differences in names have nothing to do with the single missile. Of course the latest versions have improvements. The real deal with name differences is the R-77 have Ukranian electronic hardware in build and the Russian RVV-SD is a full Russian version with much better hardware. That's it, the missile body is the same.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They are working on it, it just takes time. IIRC Wags mentioned there was a resource assigned to look at missile guidance in general (not just AAMs).

I agree with this! hope they fix the guidance!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This differences in names have nothing to do with the single missile. Of course the latest versions have improvements. The real deal with name differences is the R-77 have Ukranian electronic hardware in build and the Russian RVV-SD is a full Russian version with much better hardware. That's it, the missile body is the same.

The SD is heavier (175 vs 190kg) and slightly bigger, but you're right, the deal is to update the current DCS R-77 model for the specifications online at least in speed and range!

Of course the guidance and drag is bad in most of DCS missiles, but until we wait for the new guidance update, the drag repair in the R-77 would be really appreciated, will make the new MIG-29 3D model more ... flyable!! :pilotfly:

Sources?

The source is the manufacturer:

http://eng.ktrv.ru/production_eng/323/503/567/

Edited by JunMcKill

R-77 or RVV-SD? Can you tell the difference?

If the R-77 is such a great missile, why wasn't it deployed 20 years ago when it came to be? :)

20 years ago Russia was almost bankrupt (more-less 1999).

Plenty of quite nice projects were cancelled because the agony of the state.

• Like 1

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

If the R-77 is such a great missile, why wasn't it deployed 20 years ago when it came to be? :)

Really......thats the argument?

Its completely contemporary with the the AMRAAM, which means development in mid to late 80ies with expected IOC in early 90'ies - so closer to 30 years ago, which in turn happened to coincide with the country developing it going bankrupt and falling apart.

Subsequently until recently Russia had no money to induct/buy stocks of it nor to build or modify aircraft to carry it.

They are not the same.

PD: Sniped...

Design wise they are.

Just as the AMRAAM has undergone multiple modifications since its induction, the Russians obviously don't start inducting the original 30 year old R-77 version without modifications now.

• 2 years later...