i5 vs i7 with NTTR specs in mind

RNeves

First of all, let me teel that I'm not complayning about the system requirements demanded by the NTTR map or anything like that.

In fact I'm gonna pre-order it in order to use the map as a benchmark for the next upgrade that I might need to do when it gets released!

What I'd like to hear from you is if you notice any difference between the I5 and I7 processors (this game has some heavy physics to process), or even if AMD processors can stand what DCS throws at them...

If you have any special advice, I'd like to hear it from you!

My current specs are:

- Asus P5Q3 WIFI DX

- Core 2 Quad Q 9400

- 8GB DDR3 @ 1333 Hz

- GTX 960 DCII OC 2GB DDR5

As you can see, apart from the graphics card, my pc is getting old

:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Your eyes only see what your mind is ready to comprehend"

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Intel I7-6700K - 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz HyperX Savage - Strix GTX 960 DC II 2GB OC Edition - Seagate 1TB

First of all, let me teel that I'm not complayning about the system requirements demanded by the NTTR map or anything like that.

In fact I'm gonna pre-order it in order to use the map as a benchmark for the next upgrade that I might need to do when it gets released!

What I'd like to hear from you is if you notice any difference between the I5 and I7 processors (this game has some heavy physics to process), or even if AMD processors can stand what DCS throws at them...

If you have any special advice, I'd like to hear it from you!

My current specs are:

- Asus P5Q3 WIFI DX

- Core 2 Quad Q 9400

- 8GB DDR3 @ 1333 Hz

- GTX 960 DCII OC 2GB DDR5

As you can see, apart from the graphics card, my pc is getting old

:)

I don't think that the i7 would offer significant performance advantages over the i5, the devs have already stated that they can't do true multi-threaded at this time. I would suggest you get the latest i5 you can afford and go from there. There are a lot of AMD fans on this board and they swear by their rigs but on a pure clock by clock comparison the AMD simply can't compete with Intel in DCS. (And most other single threaded applications)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

But the thing is, DCS 2.0 will be single threaded too??

That is a good question for the devs (maybe it was already asked before)...

I'm inclined for the Skylake processors... They can use the latest DDR4... You think it's a good idea?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Intel I7-6700K - 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz HyperX Savage - Strix GTX 960 DC II 2GB OC Edition - Seagate 1TB

But the thing is, DCS 2.0 will be single threaded too??

Yes, or 1+ if you count sound on a separate thread (which is the way it is now).

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Yes, it was stated new engine will be multi GPU capable but not multi CPU. The sound engine is curently working in a second CPU thread but this cannot be really counted as multi CPU. Also keep in mind that for now multithreading a single process is programatically so chalenging so that nobody use it. What we know as multithread are ususaly special apps which need so much repetitive processing so that the input data can be splited in parts and each part will have allocated a single process thread. (rendering is an example here)

As a different example, there are some kind of approaches were an AI is created indeed as a separate thread, but this is posible when there is no real interaction wit it. ( like a civil plane running on its own schedule)

Directx12 and AMD are on the right track regarding real paralel processing... on GPU . Nvidia lost this competition for now so we have to wait next gen for their cards.

To be sure regarding CPU choice, find the best single thread bechmark and make your selection based on that.

Edited by Abburo

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

Yes, it was stated new engine will be multi GPU capable but not multi CPU. The sound engine is curently working in a second CPU thread but this cannot be really counted as multi CPU. Also keep in mind that for now multithreading a single process is programatically so chalenging so that nobody use it. What we know as multithread are ususaly special apps which need so much repetitive processing so that the input data can be splited in parts and each part will have allocated a single process thread. (rendering is an example here)

As a different example, there are some kind of approaches were an AI is created indeed as a separate thread, but this is posible when there is no real interaction wit it. ( like a civil plane running on its own schedule)

Directx12 and AMD are on the right track regarding real paralel processing... on GPU . Nvidia lost this competition for now so we have to wait next gen for their cards.

To be sure regarding CPU choice, find the best single thread bechmark and make your selection based on that.

I've been reading comparisons and looks like the skylake processors are managing single thread benchmarks better than 5th gen processors... And have the advantage of being compatible with DDR3... As I've seen, the DDR4 technology is not worth the money for now... But alot can change util november.... :smilewink:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Neves,

My advise would be to buy an i5 4690K and clock it to around 4.6 Ghz if you feel brave. Don't waste your money on a i7 4790K unless you plan to run at stock speeds. It only adds a slightly higher turbo clock and base clock frequency along with Hyperthreading (which is absolutely no use to you in DCS)

So there are some differences between the i5 and i7 processors. The latest models are called "Devils Canyon" I would advise getting a 'K" model as this denotes the CPU is unlocked and can be clocked (speeded up)

The i7 has slightly more L3 cache (8MB vs 6MB)

The i7 has Hyperthreading (No use having 8 threads available in DCS)

The core clock speeds are higher out of the box (Only marginal increase in frame rates (2-3?)

Some tests have been carried out and there is a good article here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8227/devils-canyon-review-intel-core-i7-4790k-and-i5-4690k

The i5 is pretty easy to overclock if you have a descent air cooler. I have mine running at 4.8Ghz stable on AIO water cooling but my last rig was running the same CPU at 4.7 on air. This is way faster than most i7's out of the box and is at least $100 cheaper.

• ED Team

The main reason I went with the i7 4790k was no need to overclock or mess around.

Straight out of the box working great with DCS

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi Neves,

My advise would be to buy an i5 4690K and clock it to around 4.6 Ghz if you feel brave. Don't waste your money on a i7 4790K unless you plan to run at stock speeds. It only adds a slightly higher turbo clock and base clock frequency along with Hyperthreading (which is absolutely no use to you in DCS)

So there are some differences between the i5 and i7 processors. The latest models are called "Devils Canyon" I would advise getting a 'K" model as this denotes the CPU is unlocked and can be clocked (speeded up)

The i7 has slightly more L3 cache (8MB vs 6MB)

The i7 has Hyperthreading (No use having 8 threads available in DCS)

The core clock speeds are higher out of the box (Only marginal increase in frame rates (2-3?)

Some tests have been carried out and there is a good article here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8227/devils-canyon-review-intel-core-i7-4790k-and-i5-4690k

The i5 is pretty easy to overclock if you have a descent air cooler. I have mine running at 4.8Ghz stable on AIO water cooling but my last rig was running the same CPU at 4.7 on air. This is way faster than most i7's out of the box and is at least $100 cheaper.

For a few more euros I can get the I5 6600 that is superior in single thread aplications... About water cooling, I have a doubt, how often do you have to check the coolant level?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looking at the tests and benchmarks so far, then yes your correct in saying you'll get better performance out of the box when compared to the 4690 or 4790. I was limited in my upgrade because I didn't want to replace the motherboard and RAM.

Good article here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skylake-intel-core-i7-6700k-core-i5-6600k,4252.html

Leakage from water cooling is not a problem as my system is AIO (closed loop) and requires no maintenance or topping up. I saw a baseline reduction from 28C to 23C and an under load (prime 95) reduction from 95C to 81C on my system when compared to the fairly hefty air cooler I had.

• Like 1

Most games don't take advantage of an i7 over an i5. EDGE will only use a single core, so I assume it will not support more than one thread. Meaning an i7 will be no different than an i5. If the only game you play is DCS save the money.

DCS is not the only game I play...

I also play IL2 BOS, RFactor 2, Assetto Corsa, and other games here and there... But from what I've seen, the skylake 6600 is toe to toe with some older I7 processors...

Today I went to my usual computer store and after seeing some prices, I decided to go for:

MSI Z170A Gaming M5;

I5 6600K

16GB DDR4 @ 2400 (Cheaper than the 2133)

:joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The problem is that these tests are somewhat synthetic... If you see the performance from those processors in games, some of those on top will plunge on the chart...

The difference between a 4790 and a 6700 ingame is about 1 ou 2 fps, and the same goes to the difference between 6700 and 6600...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]