New to dcs where to start ?

Dean2

Hi everybody

Sorry if it has been ask before !

I'm wondering because there are so many different modules and

Campaigns downloads what are the essentials ?

I got as far as I need dcs world to start of but Do I download 1.2 or 1.5 beta ?

I wanna keep downloads to a minimum because I have a low download cap per month!

Any help appreciated

My system : windows 10 64bit nivida 970 msi , i5 3.6 ish gb ,16gb ram

Kind regards

Dean

The beta and regular download aren't very different. Beta just gets updates before regular version, and may be unstable. This is particularly true now as 1.5 is a large update, though it has been patched a couple of times and I haven't experienced major issues with the latest hotfix.

As far as downloading missions and campaigns, I usually make my own, so I probably won't be of much help in making suggestions. If you have not seen it already, there is a userfiles section on this site:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/

You can browse for popular downloads there.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Hi everybody

Sorry if it has been ask before !

I got as far as I need dcs world to start of but Do I download 1.2 or 1.5 beta ?

I wanna keep downloads to a minimum because I have a low download cap per month!

Any help appreciated

My system : windows 10 64bit nivida 970 msi , i5 3.6 ish gb ,16gb ram

Kind regards

Dean

It depends on what you want to do. The game comes with the SU-25T, one of the most versatile aircraft in the game so far. It is the only SEAD capable plane, and has a huge selection of air to ground weapons to choose from. Best of all, it's free.

The other main module that a lot of people suggest as an entry level is Flaming Cliffs 3. FC3 has a large selection of aircraft for a low price. The SU-27, F-15C, MiG-29, A-10A and SU-25A. All of them are good aircraft, and the SU-27 and F-15C are the current kings of multiplayer air combat. It's value for money, but it has no clickable cockpits, so it's a more 'Sim Lite' experience.

A-10C is the most modern of the DCS level aircraft. Supporting complex avionics and most advanced ground attack weaponry, it's an absolute monster, and is a fan favorite with a huge number of player created missions and campaigns featuring it. A steep learning curve is balanced by decent price and high fidelity.

MiG-21Bis is the second most modern DCS level plane, and considered by many pilots to be the most real 'feeling' type of plane. While it is a fully clickable cockpit, its 1970s vintage systems make it a piece of cake to learn the switchology. However, it's a difficult plane to fly and vastly outgunned in the air, but a wiley MiG pilot can do quite well.

F-86F and MiG-15Bis are also both quality modules that let you relive Korean war era conflict. Both are full DCS level aircraft with clickable cockpits, and built in the 1950s they are easy to learn what buttons to press. They're also very easy to fly aircraft that handle quite nicely making it a pleasure to learn how to fly in them. I would recommend the F-86 over the MiG-15Bis only because the F-86 has a lead computing gunsight, making aerial gunnery easier to learn.

If you want a more IL-2 style experience, any of the fantastic WWII modules will do. Full DCS level sims they give you an excellent feeling of flying in a WWII aircraft, the P-51, FW-190 or the BF-109, and there are many more WWII aircraft on the way so there will be opponents for them.

The helicopter modules, DCS Blackshark 2, UH-1 Huey and Mi-8 offer a significantly different gameplay style to the fast movers. Utility helicopters often find roles in online campaigns as troop transports used for capturing bases, and the Blackshark is a unique and interesting experience all on its own.

At the end of the day, my recommendation is to stick with the SU-25T until you've got a good grasp on the game. If you're looking for something more high flying, pick up FC3 and learn air combat, it's the best value for money as you get so many aircraft in it. I can't comment on campaigns as I haven't played any of the purchasable campaigns, but they don't really seem to be that essential.

I would recommend also downloading the 1.5 beta. It runs better and looks better and most servers are scrambling to get new missions to run using it as it's just so damn pretty.

Thank you for your really detailed in depth answer !

Only one thing I'm not quiet sure ( just got up had nap ) sorry if I'm not to switched on

So if understand right i download 1.2 (base)and 1.5 what looks nicer

and runs smoother (need both)

Or can I only download 1.5 without 1.2 ?

Welcome to DCS!

If you like combat flight sims you are in for a treat.

Yes you can download 1.5 on it's own. It looks way better as it's using the new EDGE graphics engine. There are some annoying bugs but nothing I would consider show stopping.

Our squad has pretty much moved to 1.5 exclusively at this point (VFA-113 Stingers). 1.5 will eventually be released as DCS 2.0.

Some missions won't play properly in 1.5 so look for files that indicate they have been updated for 1.5.

1.2 is the official release but since 1.5 came out I think it will start to dominate servers.

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

Start with official version - 1.2 NOT beta. You will need 1.2 installation anyway (you can't update beta to final, only to new beta) when 1.5 beta hit release version.

Beta is meant for, well, beta testing! :) It's optional, and not recommended for someone just starting out on any platform / software.

Yes, most of us are willing to beta test, but then we have been around DCS for a long time. And you really need proper training offline to enjoy DCS online so the fact that most of us are now on 1.5 online, is irrelevant in your case. If you are on decent PC, you will not see much difference as a beginner, except some eye candy in 1.5.

So, download 1.2 (remember - you'll need it later) and start with SU 25T. It's free, comes with really good tutorial and has simplified cockpit - just what you need in first couple of weeks or months in DCS. Search for DCS content on youtube.

Then, if you decide to dig in deeply, you will know what module you need.

Some hardware necessities, beside PC are:

-Proper joystick - I would say Saitek X52 is the bare minimum for experiencing DCS fully.

-Head tracking of some sort - most of us are owners of TrackIR

And most important - have fun! :pilotfly: Don't take it too seriously, which most of us do :D:D

Hawk was the module that really hooked me into the DCS. I did fly A-10C previously, but it is so much heavier stuff to learn, that it kind of held back the joy of flying while learning.

Hawk is a simple plane, easily learned and very fun to fly. Delivering (for me) just the right amount of complexity for the enjoyable learning process. Problem is, it's quite bugged and missing some features right now in 1.5 beta (Works quite well in 1.2), but developer is active and I'd expect it to be in working order soon enough. Also other trainer jets have been introduced recently, I'd see them as very solid starting point for DCS, but don't have first hand experience about them yet.

Also, if you've missed a few years of PC gaming, you seriously need to check out head tracking. I kind of dismissed it way too long for nice but not mandatory gear outside multiplayer. Biggest mistake I've made in a while. It indeed brings the simulation to life and I'd suggest getting TrackIR 5 as soon as possible.

Tirak (as usual :)) gave a really nice overview of DCS. I'll add a few of my thoughts in addition to the great advice thus far.

One of the great things about DCS is that the quality across the different modules is quite consistent and VERY high. Several of the modules are incomplete, mostly pending the EFM flight model (Hawk and C-101), but all the full DCS modules are very detailed with excellent flight models and beautiful 3D models.

This means that you can pick an era or aircraft type that appeals to you and know that the module will be an excellent rendition. As opposed to aftermarket aircraft in FSX/P3D where there are huge variations in fidelity/quality between different payware add-on aircraft.

Also, the F-15C and Su-27 have PFM flight models (the best kind vs SFM), excellent 3D models, but simplified cockpit systems. They inexpensive (~$10 each) and are easy to start with if you like modern aircraft. Learning the systems of the A-10C is really involving (I haven't really tried yet).

The MiG-21 is where I started and I found it to be perfect in terms of "modern performance" (very fast and excellent rate of climb), simple yet accurate avionics, full EFM (high fidelity/advanced physics) flight model, and moderately challenging flight characteristics. Landing needs to be by the book, but once you get the hang of it, not too hard. The quality of the MiG-21 in terms of visuals and flight experience is second to none (at least for me :)).

Therefore, I would pick an aircraft or era that appeals to you and try it out. Be prepared to open up the manual to avoid catastrophe. Also, many expect take-off to be no problem and the challenge to start once you're airborne, but DCS can be challenging start to finish. Don't get discouraged if you crash a lot at first. The WWII birds are quite hard to get into and out of the air, but with practice it's great fun.

Lastly, I also returned to flight sims/computer stuff after a 12 year hiatus. TrackIR really makes a difference. I picked it up about 6 months after starting with DCS (8 months after returning to flight sims) and it's difficult to fully appreciate these cockpits until you have it - 6DoF is a really big deal! The degree of immersion is remarkable for sitting in a chair and looking at a screen. It adds so much to the experience and if can get it, I HIGHLY recommend it.

I hope this info is helpful. DCS1.5 with TrackIR and good controls has so vastly exceeded by expectations of what a home flight experience can be. I hope you enjoy it too!

-Nick

All the modules are high quality, and it's up to you to choose a plane (or heli) you're most interested in. For start, I'd suggest Flaming Cliffs 3. It has a nice variety of attack and fighter planes, enough to keep you busy for a while. And its on sale on steam :D (you can use steam key on standalone version, but not the other way around).

Welcome to the DCS world!

Thanks for all the hints really appreciate it ! I jumped the gun to early and downloaded 1.5 !

Now I can't seem to install the fc3 dlc grrrr!

Well gotta wait till I'm able to download 1.2 somewhere nearly used my monthly Capp up for 1.5

Also my x55 arrived today yeahhhh!

If you have one version of DCS World installed, the other version will utilise all the pre-installed files from that version if they are relevant, so running both will not mean re-downloading the lot.

1.5 is due to reach full release status fairly soon, so it may be worth your while hanging on until then as the majority of the beta install will simply be transferred into the full version rather than requiring a full download.

To use FC3 you will need to own a licence. Is that the reason you are having problems with it?

One other thing that I haven't seen mentioned is the benefit of joining an on-line squadron. It can really fast track a lot of the training involved as experienced hands can help with the important stuff you'll need to know, leaving the less essential aspects for later.

Welcome to DCS World, I hope you have fun with it.

I don't know if anybody has posted yet, but I'll pitch in my 2 cents.

I started off with FC3, people claimed it was a decent module for people to get started in. It was, you get to learn a lot of nice stuff and without far too much effort.

My step from FC3 was in the F-86F, it's a step back in terms of technology, but it was a nice transition into a fully clickable cockpit. After spending some time in something you feel like is more challenging, I'd suggest either going for the A-10C or the MiG-21. The A-10 is pure rape in terms of things you have to learn, but it's all worth it in the end.

From there, if you can master the A-10C, you can master damn well everything.

I don't know if anybody has posted yet, but I'll pitch in my 2 cents.

I started off with FC3, people claimed it was a decent module for people to get started in. It was, you get to learn a lot of nice stuff and without far too much effort.

My step from FC3 was in the F-86F, it's a step back in terms of technology, but it was a nice transition into a fully clickable cockpit. After spending some time in something you feel like is more challenging, I'd suggest either going for the A-10C or the MiG-21. The A-10 is pure rape in terms of things you have to learn, but it's all worth it in the end.

From there, if you can master the A-10C, you can master damn well everything.

Agreed, if you can learn the A-10 you can learn everything. The Ka-50 is every bit as complex and that will come quickly.

I see the free Su-25T mentioned numerous times, but don't forget you also get the TF-51D, which is a clickable DCS level sim.

That should help you decide if you want to foray into vintage fighters.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Ok I bit the bullet in terms of download use !

I downloaded it through the module manager things and was happy then it said

It's only 500mb only to find it's another 3.3gb for the training part haha well doesn't matter now I just did it, not much download left for the rest of month

I get 20gb per month every extra gb cost $10 !

Living in country australia has it's price where is only wifi available !

Welcome to the 21 century haha !

A few tips from someone who was once in your shoes.

Patience! There is a steep learning curve to many of these planes. Any of the modules that were not part of Flaming Cliffs or Cliffs of Dover , P-51, F86, any of the WWII German planes, the A10C (it's a bear), any of the helis, Migs, and the leatherneck stuff are set up to be as realistic as possible and there is a lot to remember for anyone who has not used a flight sim before. You may find yourself overwhelmed because it's not like a video game. You can't just jump in and fly. These planes have parameters that they have to follow and limitations. To a novice, it's very frustrating and you could get discouraged very easily. Luckily this forum is GREAT at helping newer pilots. But don't have a cow when whatever module you pick up doesn't work the way you think that it should based on video games. As realistic as you may think games like Battlefield and their AC may be, they're nothing to DCS. It's like comparing apples to a vegetable garden. The planes associated with the Flaming Cliffs or Cliffs of Dover are the easiest and probably the best for some beginners based on their patience and desire to really learn flying. The A10C is not a good plane to start with simply because it takes some time to learn all of the systems.

Oh...The KA50 can be pretty challenging also for the same reasons as the A10C.

The F15, SU27, and 25 and A10A have been simplified and are much easier to get use to. They have simple setups and everything can be done just by touching a few buttons.

But as people stated earlier, it's pretty much up to you. If you just want to get in and fly, the Flaming cliffs stuff is better. If you want to take time, practically go through basic training and flight school (metaphor) the other planes are waiting for you.

Of the more complicated planes, the F86 and the Mig15 have the simplest systems and dynamics. P-51 is pretty simple but there is the torque and other challenges. The German planes are much more challenging to fly.

Good luck, hope to see you in a server soon. Don't shoot me down, or at least wave while your doing it.