DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

Rough translation as follows: [since its different from the english version.

*throws ladle away*

Its a really wonderfull kitchen but that doesnt matter, because now we make an fish casserole according to an old recipe of aunt *random name*.

*puts fish in the bowl*

Little very vitally alive fishes, which are very important, so the casserole gets really delicate.

Now the other ingridients, but be carefull not to take to much of them so the delicate fishy flavour doesnt get lost.

*throws the small container away*

random babling about only taking very little pepper and salt.

*fish starts sucking the pepper grinder*

Will you stop making an upheaval here in the kitchen, you fish you. [The joke here is casserole and upheaval are the same word in german: Auflauf].

You shall become an casserole [Auflauf] and not make an upheaval [also Auflauf] you stupid animal you.

*grabs cooking spoon* We will start stir a bit in there so he looses interest.

Thats also a quite modern thing, back then fishes were way more civilized in the pot.

But I can get vinegar then you will become blue. [dont ask me]

Theese restive fish.. *gets dragged into the pot*

*gets out again*

I have to tell you this broth is exquisite !

*fish gets his head out*

Thats no reason for you to raise your head like that !!!!!

----------

The old guys

R: Why are you moaning like this ?

L: Either its the show or stomachache. I hope its stomachache.

R: Why ?

L: They get better after a while.

R: That is correct.

As a swede I'm surprised he actually has lines at all, the English version just sounds like jiberish with random words thrown in. :P

I doubt it.

The best you can hope for is an Auto start Key.

(Keybind where you press it and the aircraft is automatically started and everything made ready for take off)

Other then that i very much doubt they would dumb down the module.

It's not so much dumbing down as reducing what many find a bit tedious. ;)

Don't get me wrong I will definitely get both this as well as the F14 but I think many would really appreciate it and I think sales would increase as well.

Don't get me wrong I will definitely get both this as well as the F14 but I think many would really appreciate it and I think sales would increase as well.

Tedious? You don't fly A-10C, right? :D

As a swede I'm surprised he actually has lines at all, the English version just sounds like jiberish with random words thrown in. :P

Yee only noticed that due to swedish chef research done for viggen thread. xD Thats why I did the translation at all. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

That's both the same, just different words. It will reduce realism unnecessarily and realism is what DCS stands for and many here (including me) want to have.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

That's both the same, just different words. It will reduce realism unnecessarily and realism is what DCS stands for and many here (including me) want to have.

Uneccessary for you but not for us that wants it. For many DCS is both complex and less complex models. Same simulator with varying complexity which I think is one of its greatest strengths. :)

Despite what you might think I believe the majority actually flies the less complex models. ;)

It's just the start-up I find tedious and time consuming when I rather go fly. A quick-start-procedure-button would go a long way I guess.

An auto-start-button like there is in other modules would be the best solution I guess. It can be used by the more casual oriented players to avoid going through the tedious start-up procedure, but without reducing realism, since it still happens, just automatically. It would also not be unfair in multiplayer, which would be the case with an unrealistic "quick-start-up".

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Uneccessary for you but not for us that wants it. For many DCS is both complex and less complex models. Same simulator with varying complexity which I think is one of its greatest strengths. :)

Despite what you might think I believe the majority actually flies the less complex models. ;)

It's just the start-up I find tedious and time consuming when I rather go fly. A quick-start-procedure-button would go a long way I guess.

But the Auto Start button is already standard on most Modules.

(Mig-21,Mirage 2000 Ka,50 etc)

Im pretty sure most of the advanced modules have a Auto Start Option.

So i can almost promise you the Viggen will also have that option.

But the Auto Start button is already standard on most Modules.

(Mig-21,Mirage 2000 Ka,50 etc)

Im pretty sure most of the advanced modules have a Auto Start Option.

So i can almost promise you the Viggen will also have that option.

True that.

Tornado3 small.jpg

While it's a complex aircraft and will require many many hours to master, you can also get going quite quickly. Especially if you decide to stick to unguided rockets, guns, AGM-65, that sort of thing.

The ground radar, navigation, central computer, etc- those are the sorts of things which are difficult. :)

Standard options for autostart, easy engine, etc will be available. (Though in the latter case, the RM-8 is actually fairly docile)

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

How do we use the AGM-65? Is it the same of the A-10? I mean, how you employ the MAVs..

There is no targeting pod etc but there is a small display to the right of the hud where the seeker picture is displayed.

So like the A-10A you would use the Mk1 eyeball together with the missile seeker to find a target.

424819Cockpit.jpg

That is the cockpit of the Attack Viggen and as stated the Round Display to the right of the HUD is the Display for the Maverick.

• Like 1

While it's a complex aircraft and will require many many hours to master, you can also get going quite quickly. Especially if you decide to stick to unguided rockets, guns, AGM-65, that sort of thing.

The ground radar, navigation, central computer, etc- those are the sorts of things which are difficult. :)

Standard options for autostart, easy engine, etc will be available. (Though in the latter case, the RM-8 is actually fairly docile)

Nice, that's exactly what I wanted to know! :D

There is no targeting pod etc but there is a small display to the right of the hud where the seeker picture is displayed.

So like the A-10A you would use the Mk1 eyeball together with the missile seeker to find a target.

424819Cockpit.jpg

That is the cockpit of the Attack Viggen and as stated the Round Display to the right of the HUD is the Display for the Maverick.

I originally thought that display was an rwr before someone corrected me.

Yea the Placement / Size etc can make it appear like a RWR.

(especially for western eyes)

But the RWR display of the Viggen (as you might already know)

is integrated around the Radar Display.

There are 6 Oblong lights set around the edge of the display

(just outside the radar display but within the "compass")

Those lights together with Audio warnings make up the RWR system.

So since this was a subject and still is a interesting subject, I'm going to sum up the start up checklist for the Viggen taken directly from a original SSI FPL 37, (Special startnings instruktion/Special startup instruction.) This is one of newest examples, published in -97 some pages as late as 2000. So it is up to date with even the AJSF/H

DISCLAIMER.. There is alot of shit in this one FYI :lol:

The book:

ZGQBqkC.jpg

This is a detailed version for those keen to read that.. (bet most will haha)

The pilots actions and checks before engine start.

1. Make sure chairs ejection handle is in safe position.

2. Parking brakes ON.

3. Close and lock the canopy

4. Make sure the landing gear lever is in the DOWN position

5. make sure that the throttle friction brake is not in AFK (automatic speed control) mode.

6. Make sure the throttle position is in OFF position (closed HT-kran/ High pressure fuel valve)

7. Make sure that the lever for cabin ventilation floor, left side is OPEN.

8. Make sure switch Ventilation is in AUT (automatic) corresponding ON

9. Make sure that the generator is in ON position.

10. Make sure ignition system is in AUT (Automatic) position (Tändsystem AUT)

11. Make sure switch LT-Kran is in OFF postion (Low pressure fuel valve)

12. Make sure that the "stage selector" (skedesväljare) is in BER Mode (Beredskap/Standby)

13. (For AJS/AJSH) make sure that the Radar mode changer [Modomkopplare) on the radars stick control is in position A0 the most forward position.. Picture:

ZpsC0Lo.jpg

14. Make sure the reverse handle is pushed IN.

15. Make sure the rotary switch for BRAGG Cabin suit ventilation is in position 0

16. Make sure the switch Sparkplug is in ON position.

17. ( All versions except SK and JA) Make sure the function control switch (FK) is in Other EL.NIK. And rotary switch in pos 0.

18. Make sure lever for front window hot air is CLOSED.

19. Make sure circuit breakers for SA, SI/CI, Engine etc is in up position TILL/ ON

20. Make sure Anti-ice Engine is OFF.

21. Make sure Switch TIPP VÄXEL is in AUT (Automatic).

22. Make sure switch for Backup power is in OFF position.

23. Make sure switch LT-kran EBK (Light pressure fuel valve afterburner) is in OPEN position

24. Make sure switch for fuel tank pump is in NORM (Normal) position.

25. Make sure switch Fuel control (BRÄNSLEREGL) is in AUT (Automatic) position. (for SK37 in backseat aswell)

26. Make sure switch RHM is in ON position.

27. Put HUVUDSTRÖM (Battery) ON

28. Push the control lights button, check so all lights work.

29. Make sure Master caution light are flashing (Huvudvarning).

30. Reset Master caution warning lights (kvittera bort).

31. Make sure the correct lights on MFD is lit/off. Picture of what should and should not be on (Tänd = lit up. Släck = Off Höger = right. Vänster = left. Top is left bottom is right on the picture.. pic:

IoEXxHi.jpg?1

32. Make sure indicator light for LT-kran is ON.

33. Check fuel level.

34. Check so instruments: EPR, NH and TT7 shows normal values.

35. Switch Anti-collision lights ON.

36. Put LT-Kran in ON pos, and check that indicator light LT-Kran turns off and that BRÄ UPPF lights up.

37. Put throttle position in idle position (HT-Kran TILL/ High pressure fuel valve ON)

Start of engine, Pilots checks and measures.

1. With cold engine and Outer temperatures lower than +5 BRÄNSLEREGL to MAN ( Fuel control to Manual)

2. Hold Start button to Start position for 2 seconds.

3. Check so that STARTSYST on Right MFD lights up within 5 sec.

Obs, Startup sequence should be aborted if STARTSYST ( Start system) does not light up within 5 sec from initiated startup.

4. Make sure MAN BR REG on right MFD goes dark before 11% rpm (Manual Fuel control) (This does not apply if the engine is started in Automatic fuel control) if so skip to 5.

5. Check so TÄNDSYST (ignition system) on right MFD lights up between 11-18% rpm.

OBS, Startup sequence shall be aborted if TÄNDSYST lights up before 11% or after 18% rpm

OBS2, Startup sequence shall be aborted if the RPM indicator is not giving any readings for more than 10 sec or if the rpm increase stop more than 10 sec under the startup sequence.

OBS3, Startup sequence shall be aborted if the engine does not light up within 25 sec.

6. Check so the exhaust temp is giving reading within 25 sec after initiated startup.

7. (Only applies if started in BRÄNSLEREGL MAN) Put Imediately Switch BRÄNSKEREGL to AUT (Automatic) When Exhaust temp shows 100C. Check so that MAN BR REG on right MFD goes dark.

8. Abort if exhaust temp increases 400C or is above 375C for more than 15 sec.

9. Check so that STARTSYST (Start system) and TÄNDSYST (ignition system) Goes dark betweend 47-50% rpm, normal startup time to 50% 50 sec.

OBS, Start sequence shall be aborted if STARTSYST and TÄNDSYST does not go dark at 56% rpm.

10. Make sure OLJETRYCK (Oil pressure) goes dark within 60 sec, if it continues to be lit after 60 sec, abort startup.

11. Check so Idle RPM has stabilized between 55% and 58%, shut of engine if Idle rpm increases more then 58%

After start quick checks before run up..

1. Check so that Ground idle rpm is stable, and exhaust temp of =350C<

2. check pressure difference indicators value is around 1

3. check so no red or orange lights is lit up on left or right mfd

So that's the whole checklist from you get into the cockpit until engine is running more or less except for some small annotations etc.

If there's interest i'll add the run up, and a few other bits.

I tried making it all in english except for a few things here and there. I can also put out a complete swedish version if there is interest for that.. I also got the full detailed description of the AJS part 1-4, not sure if that is available on the internet? You tell me :smilewink:

So since this was a subject and still is a interesting subject, I'm going to sum up the start up checklist for the Viggen taken directly from a original SSI FPL 37, (Special startnings instruktion/Special startup instruction.) This is one of newest examples, published in -97 some pages as late as 2000. So it is up to date with even the AJSF/H

Great post, thanks! We have the open description part 1 chapter 1 as well as the formerly secret parts 2 and 3 for the AJ 37 (the orginal edition from the early-mid 70's). The rest of the parts I haven't gotten around to photographing. It'd be great if you could, though!

Great post, thanks! We have the open description part 1 chapter 1 as well as the formerly secret parts 2 and 3 for the AJ 37 (the orginal edition from the early-mid 70's). The rest of the parts I haven't gotten around to photographing. It'd be great if you could, though!

Are you thinking of the SFI? Or the actual description? "Beskrivning FPL 37 something something" ? That's what i got, the rest of the SFI is on the internet.

you can send me pm if you like, im swedish fyi.

Are you thinking of the SFI? Or the actual description? "Beskrivning FPL 37 something something" ? That's what i got, the rest of the SFI is on the internet.

Beskrivning would pretty much be the maintenance manual right?

Beskrivning would pretty much be the maintenance manual right?

Not the manual in itself, Just description of all the aircrafts components. The tech guys had their own manual called if im not mistaken UFS

Edited by ShadoWw

I guess i could've added it in the original post.. Buut everyone knows that new posts are more fun right? :huh:...

Here is the swedish version of SSI, photographed directly from the book. If anyone is interested in the corresponding one for the JA just pm me and we can sort that out. I wont put it here, too lazy :P doesn't concern the AJS anyway :)

here on and out, im throwing english out the window fyi.. :P

allt är i den ordning som boken utger det, så oroa er inte!..

Innehållsförteckningen:

5dIC5YP.jpg

fNSRebP.jpg?1

Tillhörande bild till punkt 2.3.13 i bilden över

ZpsC0Lo.jpg

pYugHPa.jpg

l3CgN5D.jpg

Tillhörande punkt 2.3.32 i bilden över

IoEXxHi.jpg?1

Motor start:

4MJfWKM.jpg

haHjeWO.jpg

p8txP6B.jpg

FmT4ETR.jpg

Om något saknas, skrik lite så fixar jag det :thumbup:

DISCLAIMER.. There is alot of shit in this one FYI :lol:

The book:

ZGQBqkC.jpg

This is a detailed version for those keen to read that.. (bet most will haha)

The pilots actions and checks before engine start.

1. Make sure chairs ejection handle is in safe position.

2. Parking brakes ON.

3. Close and lock the canopy

4. Make sure the landing gear lever is in the DOWN position

5. make sure that the throttle friction brake is not in AFK (automatic speed control) mode.

6. Make sure the throttle position is in OFF position (closed HT-kran/ High pressure fuel valve)

7. Make sure that the lever for cabin ventilation floor, left side is OPEN.

8. Make sure switch Ventilation is in AUT (automatic) corresponding ON

9. Make sure that the generator is in ON position.

10. Make sure ignition system is in AUT (Automatic) position (Tändsystem AUT)

11. Make sure switch LT-Kran is in OFF postion (Low pressure fuel valve)

12. Make sure that the "stage selector" (skedesväljare) is in BER Mode (Beredskap/Standby)

13. (For AJS/AJSH) make sure that the Radar mode changer [Modomkopplare) on the radars stick control is in position A0 the most forward position.. Picture:

ZpsC0Lo.jpg

14. Make sure the reverse handle is pushed IN.

15. Make sure the rotary switch for BRAGG Cabin suit ventilation is in position 0

16. Make sure the switch Sparkplug is in ON position.

17. ( All versions except SK and JA) Make sure the function control switch (FK) is in Other EL.NIK. And rotary switch in pos 0.

18. Make sure lever for front window hot air is CLOSED.

19. Make sure circuit breakers for SA, SI/CI, Engine etc is in up position TILL/ ON

20. Make sure Anti-ice Engine is OFF.

21. Make sure Switch TIPP VÄXEL is in AUT (Automatic).

22. Make sure switch for Backup power is in OFF position.

23. Make sure switch LT-kran EBK (Light pressure fuel valve afterburner) is in OPEN position

24. Make sure switch for fuel tank pump is in NORM (Normal) position.

25. Make sure switch Fuel control (BRÄNSLEREGL) is in AUT (Automatic) position. (for SK37 in backseat aswell)

26. Make sure switch RHM is in ON position.

27. Put HUVUDSTRÖM (Battery) ON

28. Push the control lights button, check so all lights work.

29. Make sure Master caution light are flashing (Huvudvarning).

30. Reset Master caution warning lights (kvittera bort).

31. Make sure the correct lights on MFD is lit/off. Picture of what should and should not be on (Tänd = lit up. Släck = Off Höger = right. Vänster = left. Top is left bottom is right on the picture.. pic:

IoEXxHi.jpg?1

32. Make sure indicator light for LT-kran is ON.

33. Check fuel level.

34. Check so instruments: EPR, NH and TT7 shows normal values.

35. Switch Anti-collision lights ON.

36. Put LT-Kran in ON pos, and check that indicator light LT-Kran turns off and that BRÄ UPPF lights up.

37. Put throttle position in idle position (HT-Kran TILL/ High pressure fuel valve ON)

Start of engine, Pilots checks and measures.

1. With cold engine and Outer temperatures lower than +5 BRÄNSLEREGL to MAN ( Fuel control to Manual)

2. Hold Start button to Start position for 2 seconds.

3. Check so that STARTSYST on Right MFD lights up within 5 sec.

Obs, Startup sequence should be aborted if STARTSYST ( Start system) does not light up within 5 sec from initiated startup.

4. Make sure MAN BR REG on right MFD goes dark before 11% rpm (Manual Fuel control) (This does not apply if the engine is started in Automatic fuel control) if so skip to 5.

5. Check so TÄNDSYST (ignition system) on right MFD lights up between 11-18% rpm.

OBS, Startup sequence shall be aborted if TÄNDSYST lights up before 11% or after 18% rpm

OBS2, Startup sequence shall be aborted if the RPM indicator is not giving any readings for more than 10 sec or if the rpm increase stop more than 10 sec under the startup sequence.

OBS3, Startup sequence shall be aborted if the engine does not light up within 25 sec.

6. Check so the exhaust temp is giving reading within 25 sec after initiated startup.

7. (Only applies if started in BRÄNSLEREGL MAN) Put Imediately Switch BRÄNSKEREGL to AUT (Automatic) When Exhaust temp shows 100C. Check so that MAN BR REG on right MFD goes dark.

8. Abort if exhaust temp increases 400C or is above 375C for more than 15 sec.

9. Check so that STARTSYST (Start system) and TÄNDSYST (ignition system) Goes dark betweend 47-50% rpm, normal startup time to 50% 50 sec.

OBS, Start sequence shall be aborted if STARTSYST and TÄNDSYST does not go dark at 56% rpm.

10. Make sure OLJETRYCK (Oil pressure) goes dark within 60 sec, if it continues to be lit after 60 sec, abort startup.

11. Check so Idle RPM has stabilized between 55% and 58%, shut of engine if Idle rpm increases more then 58%

After start quick checks before run up..

1. Check so that Ground idle rpm is stable, and exhaust temp of =350C<

2. check pressure difference indicators value is around 1

3. check so no red or orange lights is lit up on left or right mfd

So that's the whole checklist from you get into the cockpit until engine is running more or less except for some small annotations etc.

If there's interest i'll add the run up, and a few other bits.

I tried making it all in english except for a few things here and there. I can also put out a complete swedish version if there is interest for that.. I also got the full detailed description of the AJS part 1-4, not sure if that is available on the internet? You tell me :smilewink:

Many, many thanks for that translation and Info.

If you have the time any info on Nav and BK90 targeting would be absolutely awesome ! :))

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?