DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

+1

Should have been done a long time ago. A lot of good info is deeply burried in 224 pages of single thread.

I do find that strange. It's a confirmed module that is, apparently, pretty close to completion. Certainly, it's more far along than the F-14. Yet, the Tomcat has a forum, but the Viggen doesn't.

:joystick: I am confus.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Here is a much better view of the Hud used on the AJ/AJS (and all other variants but the JA 37)

Its from the Swesim AJS 37 Simulator so it should be as accurate as can be.

As you can see its VERY different from the JA 37 Hud and obviously a much earlier type of HUD.

(The JA 37 is of the same Age as a F-16 or F-15C HUD where as the AJ/AJS 37 has a hud of the same era as the A-7 Corsair etc)

It still works and is a great tool (and a Significant step up since most aircraft of the era still had no HUD, hell the SU-25A entered service 10 years later and it still did not have a HUD)

but its best to not come in with the expectation of the HUD being comparable to 1980s aircraft and then be Disappointed.

Very interesting movie indeed! The horizon line is not collimated with the real horizon. Is that a characteristic of the HUD or of the simulator?

Would be interesting if someone could try the maneuver in the Mirage 2000.

Since it having a very good instantaneous turn rate (being a delta and all)

It aught have a better chance then any other fighter in the game atm (atleast that would be my guess).

Mattebubben,

Real life the Mirage can also do a split-S from pretty low. It's been ten years, but when I was doing flight test one of my test pilots went to the French TPS for his field trip and had one the instructors pull a split-S from 2,500 ft or so if memory serves. So, the 500 m sounds possible for the Viggen.

Mattebubben,

Real life the Mirage can also do a split-S from pretty low. It's been ten years, but when I was doing flight test one of my test pilots went to the French TPS for his field trip and had one the instructors pull a split-S from 2,500 ft or so if memory serves. So, the 500 m sounds possible for the Viggen.

A clean Mirage 2000 with half a fuel load can do a safe split S at 2500 ft (762 m), the Viggen probably can too - but not 500 m, and esp. not with 100 m to spare after completion, in effect making it a 400 m Split S.

Best I could do ingame in the Mirage was 680 meters whilst just barely avoiding touching the surface.

Edited by Hummingbird

Well from my reading of the story i dont really understand it as him completing the maneuver with 100m to spare.

(like so many ppl seem to do)

More that he leveled out at 100m after completing the maneuver (so after completing the maneuver he climbed to 100m before leveling off)

Id does not really specify how low he got during the maneuver.

So my bet is that he came well below 100M during the maneuver but leveled off at 100m when the split S had been completed.

Edited by mattebubben

He would end up in the ground. Your have to nail the maneuver with 1000m of space, 500 is CFIT.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Very interesting movie indeed! The horizon line is not collimated with the real horizon. Is that a characteristic of the HUD or of the simulator?

I'm not actually sure. The flight manual implies that the artificial horizon should be displayed on the actual visible horizon, but it's not really stated explicitly.

Just a collimation / programming error on their part, the artificial horizon is aligned with the real horizon at low altitudes. At very high altitudes it will be slightly offset like most HUDs.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I wonder what the chances are of LS making the JA-37 at some point. Would be fun to do scrambles against the MiG-21 intruders in that thing :)

Poor Fishbed :D

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

An interesting note is that when the main wing pylons were loaded with heavy ordnance, the canard flaps are angled slightly upwards. ������ It's visible in the lovely pic at the top. :)

nice spotting !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

I guess the Manuals tell you how to start it, but they are in swedish and since I cant into smørebrød, I cant read them either. )))

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

Are that jamming/countermeasures pod on teh outer stations of 30 22 and 40 ?

Thats the Countermeasure pod (and its usually carried under the left wing)

The jamming pod is a separate pod.

(and it was usually carried under the right wing)

And you did not have to carry both it was actually more common to just carry one (usually just the countermeasure pod) but it depended on missions needs.

Edited by mattebubben