Left engine damaged by 5.45mm

Darkwolf

Hi there.

I landed in a town with a few 5.45mm equiped infantry. I had right engine dead, so i landed with them on my right, so left engine would get somehow protected.

First rounds, i get left engine taken out. Therefore, I think they is something wrong with Mi-8 damage modeling.

Is a 5.45mm capable of going thru a whole TV3-117 ? :huh:

DCS Version 1.5.2

I don't know anything about a TV3-117, but it would not take much to damage and jet engine, depending on the engine. For example, if you where to shoot in the combustion chamber, you could easily have a burn through. Hit one of the bearings, air/oil coolers, fuel/oil coolers, etc. and it could also damaged the engine.

Have no idea if any of this matters within DCS World.

Additionally, not knowing the MI-8, does it have armor around the engine? Does DCS have the armor (if any) modeled?

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Well.... jet engines are VERY temperamental. The smallest object can break a turbine fan and everything comes to a halt. Fuel lines can be broken too and that includes ducts to allow the exhaust gas to pass through and escape the engine, if these very high temps can't escape it can cause a failure of the engine. That includes a 5.45mm, granted , that could've been a very lucky shot! :)

At 1:54 sec you'll see what happens when a fan breaks in a turbine engine. :smartass:

545rounds.jpg

Edited by Toxic

#CHOPPERLIVESMATTER

http://www.aircombatgroup.co.uk/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It very well could have damaged that engine in the real world. The problem is that the soldiers, and all ground vehicles, have obscene accuracy. BMP-2/3s regularly kill me in Su-27s/MIG-29s. In fact they are more deadly than the Shilka and Vulcan. I now don't place IFVs with an auto cannon in missions because of their absurd accuracy. This is reflected across all ground vehicles sadly, and surviving two rocket runs in a MIG-29/Su-27 is very difficult unless you're going nearly mach 1. A-10/Su-25? Those are almost suicidal now.

In fact they are more deadly than the Shilka and Vulcan.

With all due respect, but I think they've been changed somehow in v1.5. Why, it has actually been awhile since any of the BMPs have shot me down - and I fly choppers fergwadssakes ;) Just a hunch, though, so YMMV...

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Well, despite not a plane engine mechanic, i'm a car mechanic, i'm sure even a 5.45mm can deal some damage to an engine. My question here is "Can it go thru a whole engine and damage the other one?".

Essentially, you're asking if the incoming damage location is random on each it, or is somehow statistically calibrated to the direction of incoming fire.

Good question. I'd assume the latter, but your test would indicate that isn't the case.

"Can it go thru a whole engine and damage the other one?".

It depends where it hit it. Exhaust tubes on jet engine are not very thick. Some are thin enough that they depend on air flow to prevent a burn through. If angled, bullet could go through and exhaust tube on one engine and hit the turbine on the other.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Fly this attached mission.

Fly to the ship & rescue the crew, try it with both Uh-1 & Mi-8.

I always succeed with Uh-1 but Mi-8 engines gets broken due to gun fire.

Uh-1's engine is much more durable then the Mi-8's engine's, in game.

If it's realistic or not I don't know.

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

It very well could have damaged that engine in the real world. The problem is that the soldiers, and all ground vehicles, have obscene accuracy. BMP-2/3s regularly kill me in Su-27s/MIG-29s. In fact they are more deadly than the Shilka and Vulcan. I now don't place IFVs with an auto cannon in missions because of their absurd accuracy. This is reflected across all ground vehicles sadly, and surviving two rocket runs in a MIG-29/Su-27 is very difficult unless you're going nearly mach 1. A-10/Su-25? Those are almost suicidal now.

I agree, when I am flying over troops with a heli, it's like every one of them can hit the eye out of a buzzard flying at a quarter mile. It's crazy!

I can go down on an armored vehicle or Shilka and kill it in the end taking much less damage then if I fly over a couple of ground troops. Not 100% of the time but I do it more often than not. It's almost always ground troops doing most of the damage to my heli. Pretty frustrating sometimes. :chair: